Jobs says "don't go to an Apple store" for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And as Ireland points out, it's a clever move on Job's part to make this announcement.

Yeah. I think that he is, in fact, telling people to head out to the Apple Store. It's going to be a party! (Mine will have to be with an online server, tho! \ )
  • Reply 22 of 93
    The only legitimate reason not to get one is to (like the apple TV which is only 3 months old just got a 160GB HD) wait for the bigger one.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    justbradyjustbrady Posts: 33member
    I am a die-hard Apple fan, but I kinda hope the iPhone flops. Perhaps then Steve will realize his error on going with a GSM network. The Edge network simply cannot effectively support the iPhone. It is like running a Corvette on a four cylander.

He is quite a cocky guy, and when Verizon turned him down, he took his business to Cingular to shove it in VZW's face. I hope he gets burned. He needs the EVDO network to effectively run that crazy phone, and he knows it.

Disclaimer: I am not starting a GSM vs. CDMA battle, I am simply stating facts.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    bostran1bostran1 Posts: 2member
    Quote:

I would buy it online if I was going to get one. Even then, you may not be able to get it right away. It seems like this will be similar to a Christmas PlayStation release.

Hahaha, not the Playstation 3 release! Nintendo Wii? Definately like the first few months of that release.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    I think I have to go to an Apple Store, or at least buy it through the online store, because I have a few Apple gift cards I plan on using toward an 8GB iPhone . I don't suppose AT&T stores would accept those.
  • Reply 26 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

you think apple and jobs would make the same mistake as Sony and shorting a product I could see them not say anything till that day like they due for every other product.. .. I can see them taking there time to sign people up but they will also be selling over the phone..

I don't see that happening. There is already a great deal of demand for the device so need to artificially create interest. I think Jobs want to respond to Balmers chimping, "who will buy a $500 phone" buy showing exactly how many people will buy the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustBrady View Post

I am a die-hard Apple fan, but I kinda hope the iPhone flops. Perhaps then Steve will realize his error on going with a GSM network. The Edge network simply cannot effectively support the iPhone. It is like running a Corvette on a four cylander.

He is quite a cocky guy, and when Verizon turned him down, he took his business to Cingular to shove it in VZW's face. I hope he gets burned. He needs the EVDO network to effectively run that crazy phone, and he knows it.

I don't think Verizon's claim that Apple went to them first is a fact. I've not heard that repeated from anyone buy Verizon.
  • Reply 27 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unaballer View Post

The only legitimate reason not to get one is to (like the apple TV which is only 3 months old just got a 160GB HD) wait for the bigger one.

I may get one, I'll be out of the US as of june 21st. If it comes out on the 20th and I can use it abroad then sure. If one of those things don't happen then i'll be waiting until I get back. Kinda sucks because I really don't want to wait.
  • Reply 28 of 93
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

I'm not adding to that battle since I don't know the technology of either well, but I do know that the Edge is only a "last resort" type of thing. Unless unlimited data transmission is the norm, who can afford to even do CDMA that often.

It is about doing 90% of the browsing on wifi, not on the phone network!!! Sure it would be great to have a faster connection, but you may only need to get maps or some browsing on the road outside of wifi networks occasionally. Most of the time you'll be in a coffee shop or at a business with wifi to do the surfing and higher bandwidth stuff. The rest of the time you can listen to music and telephone people just fine. Also the ubiquity of GSM is more important than the speed of CDMA if you really need to get online in an emergency or for a quick map check.

It is my opinion that if GSM is fine except for folks who are more the hardcore road warriors with blackberry thumb scars and can't live without checking the NYTimes every 5 minutes. Most of the widgets can get the data they need with little bandwidth and email does not really require constant online status.

Just think about using the iPhone after 6 months and you realize that it is nice to surf the web with it, but that you will still mostly do that on a laptop or desktop anyway and that GSM is just fine 98% of the time.
  • Reply 29 of 93
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Actually, it sounds more to me that you are stating your opinion on the merits of CDMA or GSM.
  • Reply 30 of 93
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

As opposed to it having to do with Verizon not agreeing to such things as: limiting the amount of Verizon logos, animation and crapware loaded on the phone, control over distribution or the whole subsidizing issue? No, according to you Verizon saw the iPhone, said "not intested" and Steve Jobs ran off vowing revenge. Uh-huh.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Steve will give the details of the phone contracts and stuff, but the phone won't be on sale until near month end. However, he will say "one more thing" and offer iPhones to any attendee who wants one right there on the spot! This will get the phone in the hands of many rabid and vocal fans just in time for them to blog and brag prior to public release. My assertion is fleshed out in this article.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Actually, I can't think of a better way to "start a battle" than to say my opinion is fact (therefore yours must be hooey).

But this has already been hashed out and at this point I think we are all just waiting to see the phone...
  • Reply 33 of 93
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lepton View Post

Steve will give the details of the phone contracts and stuff, but the phone won't be on sale until near month end. However, he will say "one more thing" and offer iPhones to any attendee who wants one right there on the spot! This will get the phone in the hands of many rabid and vocal fans just in time for them to blog and brag prior to public release. My assertion is fleshed out in this article.

Really? Is Steve going to personally sign them up to service agreements?

I can't wait to not read your fleshed out assertion!
  • Reply 34 of 93
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

People will be going nuts come "i-Day"... It'll be like a movie premiere...

People will be running out of their office to get one, the hell withthe meetings, LOL.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:

Me, im broke, wife just quit work.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

It is about doing 90% of the browsing on wifi, not on the phone network!!!

Mmm... not exactly. For one thing, ATT wants to sell data plans. For another, "It's all about wifi!" is what Apple has to tell people for now, because ATT's limited 3G coverage forced them to go with (rather slow) 2.5G EDGE instead for the first iteration of the iPhone.

Within a year or so, ATT's 3G network should be built out to the point where its feasible for a second iteration of the iPhone to go with 3G. At that point, you won't be hearing Apple say its all about wifi, though certainly its good to have the option when you do find yourself in the local coffeehouse.

Quote:

Also the ubiquity of GSM is more important than the speed of CDMA if you really need to get online in an emergency or for a quick map check.

What ubiquity would that be? ATT's EDGE coverage? It's very good, that's true. But Verizon's and Sprint's 3G networks cover 70% of the population already, and soon will cover nearly as many people as EDGE. And of course, at much higher speeds than EDGE can muster.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that Verizon was Steve's first choice. But they didn't want to deal, and ATT did. \

• Reply 37 of 93
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

There are a few others:

1) Price

2) No 3G

3) Having to deal with ATT's poor customer service

4) Having to deal with ATT's not-as-great-as-they-claim call reliability

And of course, insufficient storage, as you mentioned.

Still, I think things look bright for iPhone 2.0 - it should have 3G, storage capacities should increase, and ATT's network should be improved by then. Plus, the price may even drop a bit.

But, even as cool as it is, I can pass on iPhone 1.0... don't hate me. \

• Reply 38 of 93
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Edge network was chose for better battery life. Period. ATT's network is not bandwidth challenged (They are the Internet in many areas) GSM while fast, eats battery power like a rabid dog eating puppy chow.

I'd rather have an internet connection that I can use all day long, than one I can use for 45 minutes before I have to redock.

Al
  • Reply 39 of 93
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Just passed an new ATT Billboard on the way home it said "Reinventing Television" ATT fromerly Cingular

Wonder what they exactly meant by Reinventing Television? So maybe the ITV on Apple Tv rumors are right. Maybe they are planning on delivering ATT Television right to the iPhone platform.

How about if Apple spend some of the $12 billion to purchase the private company that owns the Slingbox tecnology. Then your iPhone could be a portable slingbox viewer. Maybe ATT and Apple could split the cost. If You Tube got 1.6 billion, the Slingbox ought to be worth $2 easy. And they'd have plenty of money left over.

Al
  • Reply 40 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

....what if nobody gave a diddly squat about the iphone.....?

I'll have what you're smoking.