Thinking of getting an iMac. Anyone know if I can also plug in a PC & share monitor?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Don't know if there is a switchable alternate video input to say, the current iMac 20" ? I still need to have a Wintel box hooked up on my desk for work. Was thinking of buying a mini and using my current video switchbox setup, but by the time I loaded up a mini, the price was getting up to the iMac range. Anyone know if I can share the iMac monitor, with say, an S-video or HD15 cable going to a PC? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hase View Post

Don't know if there is a switchable alternate video input to say, the current iMac 20" ? I still need to have a Wintel box hooked up on my desk for work. Was thinking of buying a mini and using my current video switchbox setup, but by the time I loaded up a mini, the price was getting up to the iMac range. Anyone know if I can share the iMac monitor, with say, an S-video or HD15 cable going to a PC? Thanks.

Not that I know of. But if you can connect a Gigabit Ethernet cable between the PC and Mac, you might use Vine/VNC to access the PC from a Mac without using a switchbox. Lag issues there though...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The short answer is no, the circuitry will not work.

The long answer is that some people have tried, but it involves jumping wires on the iMac mobo, and it looks like those that claim to have succeeded always fried something to get there.

Get the mini and a KVM!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    What you can try is an Elgato TV tuner and use the TV out from your PC if you have it. They have some zero-lag product to allow game consoles to use your computer screen.

I'd probably go the VNC route if it didn't lag so much because you can use the same keyboard and mouse for both machines that way. It's quite ridiculous that a VNC connection lags over a gig ethernet connection and it does.

If you are getting an iMac with GMA then I'd go for the Mini too, otherwise we come across yet another scenario where a mid range headless Mac would suit better [/yup, this subject again].
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bostonmhbostonmh Posts: 97member
    All three iMac models let you use a second display in extended desktop mode ? in addition to simply mirroring the first. The mini-DVI port lets you connect to DVI displays, VGA monitors and projectors, and S-Video and Composite connectors, with the appropriate adapter.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Of course, that has very little to do with the actual question, but thanks for playing. You'll be taking home the home version of our game as a consolation prize.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hasehase Posts: 3member
    Thanks to you all for your responses. So it sounds like, with the current state of hardware, I'm probably better off getting a Mini and using my current switchbox. And that brings up the whole other can o' worms of me continuing to wait until if/when they bring out a new Mini with a new chip and the new OS... (I *hate* waiting!) Well, maybe i can blue sky here and hope that suddenly there is a new a/v mini in my near future with non-laptop parts, faster chips, new OS. Hey, I'd pay more for something like that, and it'd only have to be a little bit taller!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tankgunktankgunk Posts: 43member
    The two things to consider when you buy a computer is what you need, and how much money you can spend on that.

If you don't need/really want an iMac, I'd shoot for the mini.

If you think the iMac's power is important, you could probably find a video solution via ethernet.

Also, if you don't need/really want this right now, it wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer. The Mini, in my humble opinion, is due for an update...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    hasehase Posts: 3member
    Yup, been using Macs since before they were called Macs and my current machine is an ancient G3/233, so still want to keep using the brand. Do think you are right in that they are due for an update, so would hate to buy one now and have some cool update happen two months later! Thanks
  • Reply 9 of 10
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

What are your reasons for not just using the iMac to run the Windows apps that you need and getting rid of the PC altogether?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Yup, been using Macs since before they were called Macs and my current machine is an ancient G3/233, so still want to keep using the brand. Do think you are right in that they are due for an update, so would hate to buy one now and have some cool update happen two months later! Thanks

Well, there are lots of updates expected within the next week or two. If there are redesigned iMacs and leopard does have the ability to run 3 systems simultaneously, you may not even need the PC at all.