Dirty Macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've got the white first gen Macbook and over time the case has yellowed in places: under the arrows keys, on the button of the trackpad and on the bottom edge of the case. I imagine it could just be dirt from resting wrists and fingers but I've tried cleaning the case and unlike the keys it won't shift. Are these heat stains or if it is dirt what might shift it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I've got the white first gen Macbook and over time the case has yellowed in places: under the arrows keys, on the button of the trackpad and on the bottom edge of the case. I imagine it could just be dirt from resting wrists and fingers but I've tried cleaning the case and unlike the keys it won't shift. Are these heat stains or if it is dirt what might shift it?

if i'm correct ( correct me if i'm wrong ) apple uses a plastic which absorbs the dirt from your hands very well, and if you stain your macbook like that you can send it back and they replace the top and send it back.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

if i'm correct ( correct me if i'm wrong ) apple uses a plastic which absorbs the dirt from your hands very well, and if you stain your macbook like that you can send it back and they replace the top and send it back.

Do you know how much it costs? Mine is just out of warranty. And do you mean it absorbs dirt in a way that leaves marks and can't be shifted? That's surely a real design flaw
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    i'm not sure if they made a recall or something, but there apparently is a cleaner out there for it, not sure how it works, and not sure what it's called. i've heard of people sending the laptops in and they replaced the top for free, not sure if they do it if you're out of warranty.