Recommended Macintosh Timer Software

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've heard that Leopard may have something like this, but it's still several months off.

I'm looking for software that would limit one's (my son's) time on the internet. He's past bumpercar, but I can't find anything that times and limits the time on Safari. He's spending way too much time on Club Penguin and Disney Toontown. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    This is not intended to sound obnoxious, but perhaps personal attention and discipline training?

If he earns the right to use the computer by completing some sort of task/chore, mac time is contingent on some other behavior and not just on his desire to sit in front of the computer. That way, it's up to him to earn the time as opposed to you having to police him and act as bad cop. You won't be mean if he doesn't get the time he wants because it'll be up to him to work toward his reward. This will pay off big time in the future as he realizes he can get what he wants if he works for it.

Obviously, this has to be graduated (age appropriate) and reasonable-- if the work is too hard for minimal reward, you can teach him that trying is irrelevant because he'll never get what he wants. Just a thought...

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    a-thinkera-thinker Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

This is not intended to sound obnoxious, but perhaps personal attention and discipline training?

If he earns the right to use the computer by completing some sort of task/chore, mac time is contingent on some other behavior and not just on his desire to sit in front of the computer. That way, it's up to him to earn the time as opposed to you having to police him and act as bad cop. You won't be mean if he doesn't get the time he wants because it'll be up to him to work toward his reward. This will pay off big time in the future as he realizes he can get what he wants if he works for it.

Obviously, this has to be graduated (age appropriate) and reasonable-- if the work is too hard for minimal reward, you can teach him that trying is irrelevant because he'll never get what he wants. Just a thought...

Good luck.

Actually, Rick, this would be a means for providing discipline. I'm looking for software that can allow me to monitor his usage. When he has earned it, I want to set the software for a certain amount of time (1 hour/2 hours, or whatever). He would be able to play for that total time, and then the system would stop him (log off, blank the screen or whatever). Otherwise, I'll have to time the actual time he uses the internet (keeping track of whether he uses part or all of the 'earned time') and physically remind him that his time is up.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Gotcha. I don't know if this is any good, btu I just hunted it down. Not the best choice perhaps, but maybe useful?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30950
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

Gotcha. I don't know if this is any good, btu I just hunted it down. Not the best choice perhaps, but maybe useful?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30950

Any other ideas/suggestions/recommendations?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You can take a trial run of MacMinder. It also mentions in its home page that it will not work with 10.5.

Mac OS X 10.5 ?Leopard? will deliver parental controls features that eclipse those of Mac Minder. For that reason, Mac Minder is not compatible with and won't install onto Mac OS X 10.5.

So if you can wait, and will be upgrading, 10.5 might do what you need.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

You can take a trial run of MacMinder. It also mentions in its home page that it will not work with 10.5.

Mac OS X 10.5 ?Leopard? will deliver parental controls features that eclipse those of Mac Minder. For that reason, Mac Minder is not compatible with and won't install onto Mac OS X 10.5.

So if you can wait, and will be upgrading, 10.5 might do what you need.

Thank you. I had heard that 10.5 will offer parental controls, but I will take a close look at Mac Minder for the interim. I appreciate your help.