First iPhone ads published on Apple.com (Coming June 29)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just saw this while watching the nightly news, simple demonstration of the Google apps with a big bold "June 29th" at the end. I guess that release date is set after all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by secretvampire View Post

Just saw this while watching the nightly news, simple demonstration of the Google apps with a big bold "June 29th" at the end. I guess that release date is set after all.

Just saw it. June 29th it is. Gotta love Apple. June means June 29th and summer means the last day of summer, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 133
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple and AT&T Wireless used a trio of television advertisements on Sunday to announce that iPhone will be available beginning on Friday, June 29th.

The ads were first spotted on CBS network television at around 7:00 p.m. eastern time on Sunday. Each demonstrates a few of the handset's functions, ending with an Apple logo and the caption, "Coming June 29th."

AppleInsider recently cited sources in saying that Apple planned to launch the inaugural Apple handset on Friday, June 29th.

All three ads -- "Never Been an iPod," "Calamari," and "How To" -- have since been posted to Apple's website:

Never Been an iPod

Calamari

How To
  • Reply 3 of 133
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    A whole lot of people at everythingiphone.com are pretty sure they saw the same commercial too. I'm just waiting for someone to put it online!

Edit: HEYHEY Waiiiit! They do have them online!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/
  • Reply 4 of 133
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Pretty much as I figured. On a Friday, at the end of the month.

Chaos will ensue at ATT and Apple stores nationwide that weekend. Should be fun to watch.

• Reply 5 of 133
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, that would seem to match what Steve said...
  • Reply 6 of 133
    DAMMIT, it specifically says 2 year contract required....I've had AT&T for a year now and dont want to wait another to buy one. If they do sell a go phone version of it however, maybe I could buy one of those and just put my SIM into it..?
  • Reply 7 of 133
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple and AT&T Wireless used a trio of television advertisements on Sunday to announce that iPhone will be available beginning on Friday, June 29th.

The ads were first spotted on CBS network television at around 7:00 p.m. eastern time on Sunday. Each demonstrates a few of the handset's functions, ending with an Apple logo and the caption, "Coming June 29th."

AppleInsider recently cited sources in saying that Apple planned to launch the inaugural Apple handset on Friday, June 29th.

All three ads -- "Never Been an iPod," "Calamari," and "How To" -- have since been posted to Apple's website:

Never Been an iPod

Calamari

How To
  • Reply 8 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus View Post

DAMMIT, it specifically says 2 year contract required....I've had AT&T for a year now and dont want to wait another to buy one. If they do sell a go phone version of it however, maybe I could buy one of those and just put my SIM into it..?

I could be wrong, but I hear that ATT/Cingular lets you upgrade your phone 18 months into a 2-year contract... in other words, you get your new phone at the upgrade price up to 6 months early.

If so, you may be eligible to upgrade to the iPhone six months from now, instead of a year (of course, they'll ask you to renew for two years at the time). Still a long time to wait, I know.

• Reply 9 of 133
    I think it's annoying how in the Calamari ad it seems to be hard/slow to type on the screen. It looks like that was done so that each letter would match up to the music notes, which isn't necessary if you ask me. And the guy kind of looks awkward holding it because he's a bit shaky...\
  • Reply 10 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Saiko View Post

A whole lot of people at everythingiphone.com are pretty sure they saw the same commercial too. I'm just waiting for someone to put it online!

Edit: HEYHEY Waiiiit! They do have them online!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

VERY good ads. They really show off how easy the iPhone makes everything, and they even act as a sort of mini-tutorial too. Watch the commercials, and you're more than halfway to understanding how to use the iPhone.

Apple's marketing team is definitely firing on all cylinders.

• Reply 11 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) So Apple never put online the iPhone ad shown at the Academy Awards?

2) Since when has AppleInsider had Digg links? I am not a fan of Digg's typical userbase. I'd rather not see those idiots come over here and start mucking up the place. I wonder how much I have to pay Kasper to get them removed.
  • Reply 12 of 133
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't think I've ever heard/seen that there is faint "snick" when you move the unlock slider.

I wonder if that suggests system wide use of audio feedback for the touchscreen?

Anyone who has used the Mighty Mouse with it's little ratcheting sound for the scroll ball can attest to the powerful synaesthetic connection a sound can make for an otherwise non-tactile experience.
  • Reply 13 of 133
    Quote:

It's rumored AT&T will allow "any" existing customer to upgrade provided they extend their contract two years. I sincerely doubt their going to turn down an iPhone customer because they haven't reached their upgrade period.
  • Reply 14 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) So Apple never put online the iPhone ad shown at the Academy Awards?

No, they did--same day it aired.
  • Reply 15 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post

It's rumored AT&T will allow "any" existing customer to upgrade provided they extend their contract two years. I sincerely doubt their going to turn down an iPhone customer because they haven't reached their upgrade period.

I'd put money on something along those lines happening.
  • Reply 16 of 133
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Good now we have that release date hopefully we'll get some Mac goodies at WWDC rather than these distractions (I'm only bitter and jealous because I won't be getting one anytime soon!).

mrtotes
  • Reply 17 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toneloco28 View Post

Yeah...maybe...but on the At&t website it says "You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 05/15/2008" and that would be when my contract expires.

If it turns out that i could buy one without a contract(as a costumer already) for like $900 I'd be fine with that.
  • Reply 18 of 133
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd put money on something along those lines happening.

AT&T/Cingular has always allowed this, as far as I know. You have to extend your contract ANOTHER two years, but they'll let you do it. I don't know if they tack on two more years from your original end date, or just make you stay two years from the new contract date. They used to just make it two years from the new contract.

Any carrier would be stupid to turn down the extra revenue from another purchase and extra monthly data charges. The only thing you can't do is move to another carrier.
  • Reply 19 of 133
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

Yeah...maybe...but on the At&t website it says "You can take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option. This line may be eligible for an equipment discount on 05/15/2008" and that would be when my contract expires.

If it turns out that i could buy one without a contract(as a costumer already) for like $900 I'd be fine with that.

I usually pay more to get an unlocked phone, but in this case, since AT&T will be the only game in town for iPhone for at least five years, it wouldn't make much sense to get it unlocked, even if they offered it that way, which they won't.

The only reason to do that is if you travel overseas very often, and want to use a prepaid SIM card for local calling to avoid roaming charges.
  • Reply 20 of 133
    [center]Removed pics to save bandwidth

Notice this first image is the usual setup of the iPhone's buttons.

Click to see pics

This close-up reveals a different setting of the iPhone's buttons.

The obvious answer is that there is an additional button on the screen.

But what could it be?

[/center]