is this legal?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
often I see a Mac screen shot on a PC that cant (at least without some deeep technical tweaking) run OSX advertised with OSX screen shots. Here is an example of it. LINK

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    That's hardly a mac screenshot... it's just a similiar (or maybe the same) background picture ...

Any picture, including the ones macs ship with as backgrounds/wallpaper, can be used in any operating system.

Some jokers even put the Windows grassy knoll as a background on their macs
  • Reply 2 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Just checked-- that's literally the first Apple desktop image in the Desktop and Screensaver pref pane.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

... (at least without some deeep technical tweaking)

its not that hard
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sternonesternone Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

often I see a Mac screen shot on a PC that cant (at least without some deeep technical tweaking) run OSX advertised with OSX screen shots. Here is an example of it. LINK

Well, you could buy one and then sue them because you tought it was running MAC OS X!!!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

It says Windows Vista right under the picture.

Yes, but you could say: i was very confused because i saw the mac os x background that made me descide the buy the product...

Or you could also mail them to ask them if it's a mac os x because of the picture, in fact we could all do that so it will drive them NUTS, the bloody cheap sluts stealing like that!!!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Null.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

That would be funny... except we would all get replies saying that it says Windows Vista right under the picture and we're probably idiots that can't read.

Yes but than we would say that we're only doing this because they should understand that they are being punished by steeling stuff!!!! HAHA!!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If you know enough to know that is an OSX background you should also know that only Apple laptops run OSX.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    I think the point is that they are using a better looking operating system designed by Apple to sell non-Apple products. In this case it's just the background but I've seen the full desktop used and I actually see it a lot.

I think the reason might not be about stealing a picture of a nicer looking OS but they probably don't know how to take a screenshot in Windows. They have print screen but that doesn't really help. It's still not justified though IMO because it's false advertising whatever reason there is for using it.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Yes, they should be punished!! In fact they are already punished, low sales.. they should break up the company, stop it, sell it and give the money back to the shareholders...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

If you know enough to know that is an OSX background you should also know that only Apple laptops run OSX.

You mean only Apple laptops are "supposed" to run OSX right?