Apple set to unveil MacBook Pro overhaul, back-to-school promo

Comments

• Reply 41 of 124
    well, its about 10.30am (UK time) and you'd have thought Apple to make any changes by now if there were going to be any today...
  • Reply 42 of 124
    chrleonchrleon Posts: 6member
    doesn't Apple update it's servers at 6AM new York Time?
  • Reply 43 of 124
    oxidoxid Posts: 19member
    that's one hour left!
  • Reply 44 of 124
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    bum barm

No higher res display option

No eSATA

Still only 2 USB ports.

no thanks, call me when you make a "PRO" model!
  • Reply 45 of 124
    Nothing on the dedicated H.264 chip then? That would have been a nice boost for AppleTV owners.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/03/09/...-chip-to-macs/
  • Reply 46 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrleon View Post

doesn't Apple update it's servers at 6AM new York Time?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxid View Post

that's one hour left!

Australia store is down.
  • Reply 47 of 124
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michswiss View Post

Australia store is down.

That's right. Look at the east. Time zone rules.
  • Reply 48 of 124
    scharf_10scharf_10 Posts: 10member
    That's the store down now.

First post btw
  • Reply 49 of 124
    Nice, still waiting
  • Reply 50 of 124
    U.S. store down too
  • Reply 51 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple artificially limits it to 3GB. Unless Apple is using a new method we may be stuck at the same 3GB limit.

No, they don't "artificially limit" it. Whilst Merom is a 64-bit processor, the chipset in the current MacBook Pro is a 32-bit chipset.

The processor does not have a built-in memory interface. The processor is connected to the motherboard chipset via the FSB, and it is the chipset that interfaces to the RAM*. The current chipset will only do 32 bit addressing, meaning a maximum of 4 GB of addressable space. However, the architecture is structured such that most of the last GB is "out of bounds", reserved for uses other than RAM.

* Which raises another issue: FSB doesn't have much to do with RAM bus speed. You don't have to have 800 MHz DDR RAM to have an 800 MHz FSB. Look at the PowerMac G5, for example: it had an FSB of 1/2 the processor speed (so the 2.5 GHz machines had an FSB of 1.25 GHz) but the RAM speed was 533 or 667 MHz DDR.
  • Reply 52 of 124
    scharf_10scharf_10 Posts: 10member
    Just out of interest, how long is the store usually down for anyway when they are updating it?
  • Reply 53 of 124
    So, there is indeed an update going on here. If it is really the MBPs, then the form factor will remain most probably unchanged.
  • Reply 54 of 124
    'form factor' ?
  • Reply 55 of 124
    Quote:

'form factor' ?

Yeah, the current design.
  • Reply 56 of 124
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

'form factor' ?

How hard is it to use Wikipedia? Form Factor.
  • Reply 57 of 124
    dunno, was down a reasonable amount of time for the MB updates...give it till lunch I guess (2-3hrs). you'd have thought they'd prepare the webpages off-line then just shut the store momentarily as they swap the necessary pages over and quickly test all the buttons work etc...shouldn't take too long. somethink like that would take me maybe an hour? to be certain, and assuming they've got a team of people on it then I'd say less - but lets not forget international synchronisation, they want people from uk/us/france/mongolia etc to all get the page when its ready, so to ensure its ALL smooth I think thats where the time taken comes in...
  • Reply 58 of 124
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

chotto disappointing ne... IF they had improved the res to accommodate 1920x1080, i was tempted to bite the bullet... but still, not announced yet.

Honto desu ne. Sugoku gakkari shite iru. Or whatever. I remain hopeful for more, but we will soon know since the Stores are all down.
  • Reply 59 of 124
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

How hard is it to use Wikipedia? Form Factor.

There are still some people who do not believe that Wiki is the New God. Indeed, it is very, very often a collection of false gods indeed.

By the way, I think the new pop-up, or more correctly the scrolling ad for Zune along the bottom of the Apple Insider page-- just saw it in Pink-- has to be one of the greatest pieces of "product placement" stupidity I've ever seen.

• Reply 60 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

There are still some people who do not believe that Wiki is the New God. Indeed, it is very, very often a collection of false gods indeed.

I do believe in wiki , just didn't think of using it right now.