Dell introduces Macbook comprtition

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Dell xps just came outwith a laptop hat is pretty much on par with Macbook...finally a dell laptop I may consider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Dell xps just came outwith a laptop hat is pretty much on par with Macbook...finally a dell laptop I may consider.

Hmmmm. . . in my opinion it is a similarly *priced* portable, perhaps with a similar target market, but there are many things that set the Macbook apart in a class of its own: first and foremost, this thing looks about 8" thick. I'm exagerrating, of course, but this looks like quite a clunker. Second, I am sure (also juding by thickness) that there are all sorts of seldom-used ports on the back like ps2, standard-sized VGA, parallel port, etc. Third, the wireless card is b/g. . . hardly progressive. Lastly, and Apple's strongpoint with the Mac, is software, and I quote:

"My Software

No Productivity software pre-installed

McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months

No Entertainment software pre-installed"

No productivity software, and no entertainment software. . . . Sounds like a second trip to Best Buy to load up on a bunch of apps. Granted MS Tiger, excuse me, I mean Vista, now comes with a mail, calendar, and address book app, but that doesn't hold a candle to iLife or to what Tiger does/Leopard will include.

I am sure that this portable does have advantages - most do - but I don't know how I feel about calling it the MacBook's "competition." I am genuinely curious, though, is there something that you noticed about it that I missed that you feel makes it tempting?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

You're kidding right?

With the 2.0Ghz, Webcam, 802.11N, Bluetooth and you're up to $1,422. So for $400 more you get a Macbook equivalent...without 1000Base-T but with "Mobile Broadband Antenna" (but not the recommended battery option for the mobile antenna).

You do have the option of BTO video...for a $129 more. Which puts you pretty close to MBP range if you also upgrade to the 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, SuperDrive, Remote and bigger battery for $1,899.

Vista vs OSX and no iLife. Um...nah.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

No productivity software, and no entertainment software. . . . Sounds like a second trip to Best Buy to load up on a bunch of apps. Granted MS Tiger, excuse me, I mean Vista, now comes with a mail, calendar, and address book app, but that doesn't hold a candle to iLife or to what Tiger does/Leopard will include.

How about a trip to the Internet? Install Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Winamp, Picasa and OpenOffice, and the Windows machine will be on par or very close in basic apps. The Mac will be in front on music and video creation, but then again, I only know two people doing those things and they use pro or specialized apps.

Entertainment software? What entertainment software?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Meh, whatever floats ya boat. It is one butt-ugly SOB though. Waste of money IMHO.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Meh, whatever floats ya boat. It is one butt-ugly SOB though. Waste of money IMHO.

Exactly. It looks like an abortion.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The M1210 isn't all that great, but its replacement, the M1330 looks to be (spec wise) exactly what I'd want a 13" Macbook Pro to be. 4lbs, santa rose platform, Nvidia 8400M graphics.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

"My Software

No Productivity software pre-installed

McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 15-months

No Entertainment software pre-installed"

No productivity software, and no entertainment software. . . . Sounds like a second trip to Best Buy to load up on a bunch of apps.

NOPE:

itunes==itunes

iPhoto==Picasa

imovie==windows movie maker (they suck equally)

iDVD==DVD Maker in Vista

AND PRODUCTIVITY software???

Macs come with a demo of Office and a demo of iWork, Dells come with a demo of office and a usable full copy of Works (in the consumer lines anyway). -- Open Office, MS office, Acrobat, adobe reader and many other business and productivity apps are fully cross-platform.

The included software is not why people like Apple, it is just a better OS.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

How about a trip to the Internet? Install Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Winamp, Picasa and OpenOffice, and the Windows machine will be on par or very close in basic apps. The Mac will be in front on music and video creation, but then again, I only know two people doing those things and they use pro or specialized apps.

Entertainment software? What entertainment software?

You make a good point with some freeware (especially picasa, one of my favorite windows apps, and the most comparable to iPhoto in function - even better in one or two regards). Still, keep in mind that the individual needs to go out and get all of that software, which is not necessarily easy for some beginners. Plus, the integration between the iApps is a big selling point which does not exist with fragmented freeware installations.

Again, show me where on the internet the average user can go to change his new Dell XPS or whatever into a thinner, faster, more memory, less ugly, more modern ports, faster internet machine once he gets it home and realize it just doesn't compare to the MacBook for the price.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    ugh! disgusting! look at those horrible chunky grey borders around the screen. it reminds me of the hitachi laptop i got for free from a friend 3 years ago
  • Reply 11 of 12
    take a look at the dell D420. its not an apple but not as ugly as the xps offering. it is woefully underpowered though.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Good lord that's ugly. Would it be so hard for Dell to design an attractive notebook?