AT&T's "Fine Edge" to boost data speeds ahead of iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wireless provider and exclusive U.S. iPhone carrier AT&T Wireless has launched an internal operation aimed at boosting the data speeds of its 2.5G EDGE network ahead of this month's iPhone launch, according to a published report.

Electronic gadget site Gizmodo reports on the matter, dubbed operation "Fine Edge," which it claims has been ongoing for about six weeks. The optimization is due to wrap up around mid-month, just two weeks before the Apple handset hits the open market.

The move is reportedly part of a broader effort on AT&T's part to assure the optimal iPhone experience come June 29th, the first day the inaugural Apple mobile phone is due to turn up at Apple and AT&T retail stores.

According to the report, existing limitations and bottlenecks on the AT&T EDGE network stem not from protocols but rather the network's data backend and the way the towers are configured to allocate bandwidth to data and calls.

As such, AT&T engineers are said to be "dropping in more T-1 lines" into the poorest performing towers, hoping to get the network's paltry 40kbps performance to a new minimum of 80kpbs. (EDGE's real world maximum performance is reportedly about 200kbps.)

Prior to "Fine EDGE" and the iPhone, most of AT&T's efforts were positioned towards building out its 3G network, the report adds.

Apple is expected to launch a version of its iPhone for use on the speedier 3G networks sometime in 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    phasorncphasornc Posts: 46member
    So . . . mayble my Treo 650 will double or triple it's connect speeds as a result of this iPhone thingy. That will buy me enough time to hold out for the 3g iPhone

M

p.s. My first number 1!
  • Reply 2 of 44
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Apple is Doomed!!

\
  • Reply 3 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

Apple is Doomed!!

\

Don't you mean "teh Doomed"?

Amazing... Apple makes at&t jump through hoops for iPhone. That's power.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    fizzmasterfizzmaster Posts: 109member
    It looks like AT&T is quite a bit behind Verizon in wireless speeds!
  • Reply 5 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Way behind Sprint as well, but this will be better than before.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Well, EDGE is behind EVDO, but that's not surprising. EDGE is old tech on GSM networks as well.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    How is speeding up their network considered jumping through hoops?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't you mean "teh Doomed"?

Amazing... Apple makes at&t jump through hoops for iPhone. That's power.

• Reply 8 of 44
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I agree, this is not Apple making anyone jump thorugh hoops. This is AT&T doing what they should do anyhow. If anything, the iPhone forced their hand a bit. Otherwise, good news for all Cingular/AT&T Subscribers...
  • Reply 9 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I agree, this is not Apple making anyone jump thorugh hoops. This is AT&T doing what they should do anyhow. If anything, the iPhone forced their hand a bit. Otherwise, good news for all Cingular/AT&T Subscribers...

What they 'should' do, and what they 'do'... can be quite different. I believe the iPhone has a lot to do with this.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    The iPhone may have, Apple aside from the very big part of manufacturing the device, probably had very little to do with it. The point being, it was a decision based on need (our network sucks, this phone will show how bad it is, lets make it faster so we look as good as possible), not Apple arm-twisting.

Besides, they know that a crippled network could noticably slow adoption of the phone even if the interface is the most advanced currently available.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As such, AT&T engineers are said to be "dropping in more T-1 lines" into the poorest performing towers, hoping to get the network's paltry 40kbps performance to a new minimum of 80kpbs. (EDGE's real world maximum performance is reportedly about 200kbps.)

ATT's EDGE is running at 40kpbs??? Wow, 'old school' dialup I had a few years back beat that.

On ATT's site, they claim real-world speeds of 75-135 kbps. Guess they were telling a bit of a fibberoo up 'till now.

Hopefully they can get the floor up to that 80kbps they're talkin' about, but even then, EDGE is still EDGE, and Wifi is still far from everywhere. That 3G iPhone can't come too soon.

• Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

...they're talkin' about...

Too busy to type that "g"?
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Not much goin' on in your life, huh? \

• Reply 14 of 44
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What they 'should' do, and what they 'do'... can be quite different. I believe the iPhone has a lot to do with this.

Agreed, I am quite sure that Apple dictated a minimum speed, so they are just upping it to meet an exceed the Apple requirement.

Its probably part of the contract as Apple want a ceirtain level of user satisfaction.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    It would have been nice if someone said what 3g 2g etc were able to achieve in speed.

Similar Article: http://www.nobosh.com/Article/AT%26T...or-iPhone/622/
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nate.willard View Post

It would have been nice if someone said what 3g 2g etc were able to achieve in speed.

Similar Article: http://www.nobosh.com/Article/AT%26T...or-iPhone/622/

Yeah, that article you linked to is wrong. It says:

3G networks are faster than anything currently available in the U.S.. At present, 3G networks are only available overseas. U.S. wireless carriers such as AT&T and Verzion are rapidly working to launch a 3G network.

That's not really true. 3G networks overseas are in some cases faster than US 3G networks, but there are widely-deployed 3G networks already available in the US. And Verizon and ATT are not "working to launch a 3G network", both already launched 3G networks in the US years ago, along with Sprint.

Kinda weird that the writer is so misinformed, and that's a very recent article, too. \

• Reply 17 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Hmm.

I would have thought that it would take the same number of keys to type " ' ", as it takes to type "g".

But, perhaps I'm wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Okay, so I work in communicaitons, and I know this technology. This is the sadest excuse for a 'buzz' story I've seen in years. Effectively, they have done nothing. 'Dropping in extra T1s'. Please. We have over 32,000 T1s... and *none* of them go to our cellular network. (sigh) That isn't how we infrastructure the backhauls at all.

Still buying an iPhone.. but just know they are full of $h!t on this 'Fine Edge' crap.

-NUM
  • Reply 19 of 44
    huntercrhuntercr Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hmm.

I would have thought that it would take the same number of keys to type " ' ", as it takes to type "g".

But, perhaps I'm wrong.

Hey, don't pick on the man for trying to conserve his 'g'. AT&T will only give him 2Gs so why spend them all so quick??
  • Reply 20 of 44
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Agreed, I am quite sure that Apple dictated a minimum speed, so they are just upping it to meet an exceed the Apple requirement.

Its probably part of the contract as Apple want a ceirtain level of user satisfaction.

Keep in mind that they really need to update their speed. As opposed to a lot of cell phones, which use a more limited browser/display for better performance, the iPhone is 'saddled' with a full browser, which sounds great when you're showing it off on a wifi network and stuff, but will perform horribly if you go to a content-laden site over a dial-up speed network.