Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 121 of 280
    loungepoploungepop Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmendoz View Post

I just placed my order for the MacBook Pro with 160GB 7200rpm HD -- indeed it ships "4-6 weeks". Is this accurate? What are the chances that it will be <4 weeks? (Or said another way, what are the chances it will be >6 weeks?)

This computer marks my official switch back to Apple. Whoohoo! My last Apple was a PowerBook 5300c. I still have it. Talk about thickness...1" (even rounded down) is going to feel like a feather compared to that computer!

4-6 weeks for the 7200RPM version is crazy. They must have ordered them in the 17" version from the factory but not the 15.4", because the 7200RPM 17" is 1-3 business days... I can't wait that long... I guess I'll just settle for the 5400RPM. Man what a bummer...
  • Reply 122 of 280
    crispux3crispux3 Posts: 4member
    Hi,

I'm brand new, don't own a mac, but was waiting on the new MBP updates and am ready to purchase one now. I would like to get the hi-def screen but have no idea how HD-DVD and blu-ray work. I know that screens or video cards have to be "compliant" and I know that the MBP only has a DVD drive on it...so, my question is this:

How do you play HD-DVD movies or blu-ray movies on a MBP? External drives? Will the MBP play these movies? What other uses are there for a hi-def display?

If someone could please help me out and steer me in a good direction so I don't waste my money, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Sincerely,

crispux3
  • Reply 123 of 280
    mdmendozmdmendoz Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

4-6 weeks for the 7200RPM version is crazy. They must have ordered them in the 17" version from the factory but not the 15.4", because the 7200RPM 17" is 1-3 business days... I can't wait that long... I guess I'll just settle for the 5400RPM. Man what a bummer...

I just checked -- the 17" MBP with 160GB 7200rpm is also 4-6 weeks... It's the same drive in both, no (i.e., it's the same HD bay?). I was tempted to settle for the 5400RPM myself, but I've waited this long to switch -- might as well switch in style... From what I understand, the performance differential is significant.
  • Reply 124 of 280
    gostangostan Posts: 15member
    Quote:

I just checked -- the 17" MBP with 160GB 7200rpm is also 4-6 weeks... It's the same drive in both, no (i.e., it's the same HD bay?). I was tempted to settle for the 5400RPM myself, but I've waited this long to switch -- might as well switch in style... From what I understand, the performance differential is significant.

What is the extra benefit of a 7200 rpm HD for normal (word, email, internet) laptop useage? I can see waiting for the faster HD for video editing or some other intense useage. But I do not see why the average user would consider (or require) a bto 7200 rpm drive. My car will go 110 mph, but it really runs fine at 85 mph, which is already 20 mph over the posted speedway on the exressway. I suspect that the same is true for the new MacBook Pro with a 5400 rpm HD.

Stan
  • Reply 125 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

15" MacBook for $1599 would be cool for WWDC!

add a real video card to it.
  • Reply 126 of 280
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gostan View Post

What is the extra benefit of a 7200 rpm HD for normal (word, email, internet) laptop useage? I can see waiting for the faster HD for video editing or some other intense useage. But I do not see why the average user would consider (or require) a bto 7200 rpm drive. My car will go 110 mph, but it really runs fine at 85 mph, which is already 20 mph over the posted speedway on the exressway. I suspect that the same is true for the new MacBook Pro with a 5400 rpm HD.

It'll work just fine but the 7200 drive should help you get a quicker boot time, faster app start time and such. The drive is the slowest component in the core computer system, but once the apps are started, the hard drive almost isn't a factor anymore. I don't see the faster hard drive as a must-have, but a nice-to-have upgrade.
  • Reply 127 of 280
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

How about 2 gigs of ram for the same price??? That upgrade used to cost $175. AND the free ipod nano.

Blah. Mine came with two gigs standard. I got the 2.33 when it came out. Oh, and the hard drive options still suck, though not quite as much as before.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Then you were realistic. I'm amazed at all the wining over this update like it could have been any better. The LED backlighting may be nice. I'll need to see it in action to evaluate. The better graphics card is a nice little addition. Otherwise what else were people expecting? Anands recent evaluation of SR should have a been a signal to all that the performace improvements in this upgrade would be modest at best.

Exactly. I feel the same. I'm not complaining mind you, I just fail to see the excitement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by delventhalz View Post

The CPU upgrade is to intel's new Santa Rosa platform which means a faster FSB in addition to other improvements, so the speed bump is going to be greater than just the clock speed would suggest. Also, the graphics upgrade is fairly significant, as is 2GB of RAM across the board. While few people are going to upgrade from the last gen, it is still a pretty nice upgrade.

Although one thing I can't figure out about this update is, do they really expect people to spend $500 extra on 200MHz of performance, 40GB of storage, and 128MB of vRAM? Heck, you can get the extra storage as a BTO for $75, so that means you are paying $425 for a marginally faster CPU and GPU. That is just silly, even for proffesional users.

I call bullshit on the Santa Rosa hype (and thanks for pointing that out as if I'm some sort of novice). It may be marginally faster, but I'd like to see some current gen 2.33s vs the 2.2 and 2.4 Santa Rosa. The FSB and slightly faster speeds may help, but I'm betting it's no better than 5-10%.

I agree with point two.
  • Reply 128 of 280
    auslanderauslander Posts: 183member
    This is exactly the update I've been waiting for. My current laptop (PB 1.67GHz) has been wheezing away for a while. It's still got a bit of go in it, but nothing compared to this. Battery life is down to about half an hour now too.

It's definitely time to go MacIntel. I just ordered the 15".

Can't wait
  • Reply 129 of 280
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickr10 View Post

I'm getting ready to place an order now. I just have two questions.

Memory: Apple's memory is expensive. I want to max it out at 4 gigs so what memory do I get? What type of memory do I buy? Is it the same memory that the previous C2D mac used?

Hard Drive: I really want the 200 gig hard drive but performance is important to me. Is there a big speed decrease in the 200 gig hard drive since it's 4200 vs. 5400rpm? If so I'm staying with 160 gigs but my second question then is is there a big performance jump going up to the 160 gig 7200 rpm drive?

Regarding the hard drive speeds, there are two things that affect real world speed, both directly size of the hard drive and RPM speed. So, for example a 200 GB 4500 RPM harddrive is faster than a 100 GB 4500 RPM harddrive. If you research this further you should be able to find the exact relationship.

P.S. Or wait around and someone around here can answer it for you... I think you're first post just got buried in all the frenzied posting so noone responded.
  • Reply 130 of 280
    The overall look hasn't changed however of course the speed is much faster. As for the LED lighting, its a huge difference. I would say its about 50% brighter than the previous screen if I could guess. Also because it now has LED, its slightly lighter in weight. I compared the new one and the previous MBP and it has a weight difference. I actually had to ask the people at the store to bring one out so I could see it. I'm very happy I waited till now to buy one instead of a month ago. I can't wait to get one now.
  • Reply 131 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It'll work just fine but the 7200 drive should help you get a quicker boot time, faster app start time and such. The drive is the slowest component in the core computer system, but once the apps are started, the hard drive almost isn't a factor anymore. I don't see the faster hard drive as a must-have, but a nice-to-have upgrade.

I have not shut down my PowerBook since the last time I went on vacation. I like faster and all of the available bells and whistles, but the 7200 has to eat up more battery time on a portable than the speed benefits that I would receive from the faster HD. Otherwise, I would have waited the 6 weeks to bto.

Stan
  • Reply 132 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2snowboarder07 View Post

The overall look hasn't changed however of course the speed is much faster. As for the LED lighting, its a huge difference. I would say its about 50% brighter than the previous screen if I could guess. Also because it now has LED, its slightly lighter in weight. I compared the new one and the previous MBP and it has a weight difference. I actually had to ask the people at the store to bring one out so I could see it. I'm very happy I waited till now to buy one instead of a month ago. I can't wait to get one now.

Are the new ones available for sale at the Apple Stores today?
  • Reply 133 of 280
    mdmendozmdmendoz Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Stan

I do plan on doing video editing and photo editing, plus some data analysis (not heavy) and statistics. Knowing that, between the 200GB/4200 and the 160GB/7200, which will be faster (or if speed isn't the only consideration, more generally, which of the these would be better for my needs?)

PS. I agree that 85mph is fine for most car drivers. I'm interested in top speed in my MBP, but I'm also interested in acceleration: my car can get to 85 now, but I wouldn't mind getting to 85 a little faster!
  • Reply 134 of 280
    Quote:

I do plan on doing video editing and photo editing, plus some data analysis (not heavy) and statistics. Knowing that, between the 200GB/4200 and the 160GB/7200, which will be faster (or if speed isn't the only consideration, more generally, which of the these would be better for my needs?)

PS. I agree that 85mph is fine for most car drivers. I'm interested in top speed in my MBP, but I'm also interested in acceleration: my car can get to 85 now, but I wouldn't mind getting to 85 a little faster!

Touche'
  • Reply 135 of 280
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Depends on how much RAM you have and how you work. If you're inclined to keep open lots of apps and switch between them a lot, then a fast drive makes swapping between them faster if you're out of real RAM. If you get the Beachball of Death a lot then a faster disk will help you. Obviously, buying lots of RAM is your best option if you're not prepared to trim your app usage to suit your memory. There's some real bloaters out there (I'm looking at you Safari).

With 2GB of RAM standard on the MBPs now though, RAM really isn't in that short a supply.
  • Reply 136 of 280
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    This is a good update.

I'm not overwhelmed, not dissapointed.

I'd be happier still if Apple dropped a much thicker, heavier MacBook Pro with ~3hr battery life, and a Quad 2.66Ghz, expandable up to 6GB RAM...
  • Reply 137 of 280
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I would settle for:

User replaceable hard drive.

User replaceable optical drive with second battery / second hard drive options.

Apple laptop dock with true docking connector.

Magnetic latch without display hooks.

Higher resolution iSight camera with at least 1280x1024 true optical resolution.
  • Reply 138 of 280
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Depends on how much RAM you have and how you work. If you're inclined to keep open lots of apps and switch between them a lot, then a fast drive makes swapping between them faster if you're out of real RAM. If you get the Beachball of Death a lot then a faster disk will help you. Obviously, buying lots of RAM is your best option if you're not prepared to trim your app usage to suit your memory. There's some real bloaters out there (I'm looking at you Safari).

With 2GB of RAM standard on the MBPs now though, RAM really isn't in that short a supply.

The problem is the more apps you are running, the more likely it is that at least one of them has a memory leak. After a week of running around 30 apps in parallel some mysterious memory leaks accumulate (they don't show up in the Activity monitor), and I usually have a couple of gigabytes of swap files (despite 3 GB RAM). A 7200 rpm drive then really makes a difference.

BTW, I use my Mac close to 100 h per week plugged in and maybe 1 h unplugged. Do I care more about the performance during these 100 h or about the battery life during that occasional week when I might use it for 3 h unplugged?

Getting the 160 GB 7200 rpm drive is a no-brainer. If you really need 200 GB, in a few weeks 200 GB 7200 rpm drives should become available.
  • Reply 139 of 280
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Since this is a whole new platform, does it count as a Rev. A unit? If so, any reason to avoid it? How long has Santa Rosa been out in the PC side? Any bugs cropped up yet?

I just want to ask before buying, knowing Apple's history with Rev. A problems. With the significantly faster FSB and GPU, I'm a bit worried about heat issues... \
  • Reply 140 of 280
    its a sort of Rev A given the updated bits but in the whole sceme of things its not an ENTIRE redesign to warrant the rev.A tag...