Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 141 of 280
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

I just want to ask before buying, knowing Apple's history with Rev.

This is the 88th purchase of Mac since January 1984. Love to know the history that would cause such concern?
  • Reply 142 of 280
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Are the new ones available for sale at the Apple Stores today?

If you hurry. My new 2.4GHz 15", just picked up at the Apple Store in Salem, NH, is about 30 minutes away from finishing the data transfer from my old first-gen MacBook Pro now.

I picked up a new Airport Extreme too -- I'm eager to see how well 802.11n performs.
  • Reply 143 of 280
    gkorsgardgkorsgard Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

If you hurry. My new 2.4GHz 15", just picked up at the Apple Store in Salem, NH, is about 30 minutes away from finishing the data transfer from my old first-gen MacBook Pro now.

I picked up a new Airport Extreme too -- I'm eager to see how well 802.11n performs.

Was your first gen MBP a 15" too? I have the first gen 17" MBP and trying to decide if I should go for the new 15" due to the screen.
  • Reply 144 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

Was your first gen MBP a 15" too? I have the first gen 17" MBP and trying to decide if I should go for the new 15" due to the screen.

Yes, the old MBP was 15" too. Before that, I had a couple of 12" PB. And I'd had 2-3 15" PB before that (yeah, I upgrade a lot! ). I never even considered 17" -- I want decent portability. I've got a desktop system for when I was a big screen.

I struggled a lot between getting a 13" MB and a 15" MBP the first time around when I had the choice, because I really liked the portability of the 12" PB. If Apple were to put out a 13" MBP, I might be tempted to go smaller again.
  • Reply 145 of 280
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Yes, the old MBP was 15" too.

So, how's the new LED screen look?
  • Reply 146 of 280
    grover432grover432 Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Can you comment on the new screen compared to the previous generation MBP? Thanks
  • Reply 147 of 280
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Was your old MBP a core duo or core 2 machine? Personally I'm holding out for a 3 ghz quad core MBP. I probably won't be getting a new rig till 09.
  • Reply 148 of 280
    give him a chance to answer! both ask the same thing in a matter of minutes!
  • Reply 149 of 280
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

give him a chance to answer! both ask the same thing in a matter of minutes!

You should have addressed this specifically to grover, since I was the first to ask and apparently grover can't read
  • Reply 150 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The MacBook Pro is supposed to be a pro laptop after all. There are other LED screens which can cover over 100% of NTSC.

First of all, what % of NTSC does the new LED screen cover, and for that matter, what is NTSC?
  • Reply 151 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Are the new ones available for sale at the Apple Stores today?

he told me they haven't come in because they just came out today which i found a little weird.
  • Reply 152 of 280
    eagerdragoneagerdragon Posts: 318member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

There's no guarantee they're not using Robson. I could easily see them announcing this later when Leopard comes out, surprise! it's already on the machine you bought months ago.

Will need to purchase $4.00 Robson enabler later.

• Reply 153 of 280
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

I am the grad student. I would prefer the larger screen, but I'm on a budget. I mean, I COULD pay for it (2250 after student discount and applecare....2400 when I get the 8gb nano and iwork) but i'm really interested in longevity. I want something that will still zip in 4-6 years, play my $h!tloads of music, let me edit my cute little webpage (http://www.users.muohio.edu/lingembr/index1.html) and do photoshop for that purpose. Along with writing lots of papers....general ilife stuff too.

Don't forget your AppleCare Protection Plan
  • Reply 154 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Was your old MBP a core duo or core 2 machine? Personally I'm holding out for a 3 ghz quad core MBP. I probably won't be getting a new rig till 09.

It was the first gen MBP, Core Duo, that I replaced. I'm making a much bigger leap here by getting the C2D than in just the raw GHz change from 2.16 to 2.4. I love the new LED backlighting, and the 802.11n wireless networking too. I think this is the first Mac laptop in a while where I decided the default config was just fine without customizing or upgrading something (I almost always do my own RAM upgrades).

I started 28.5 GB of music transferring from my desktop (which is wired on a gig network -- not wireless) over wifi to my laptop before going out to grab dinner. I wish I knew for certain just how fast the transfer went, but when I got home about an hour and a quarter later, the transfer had been done long enough for my MBP to have gone to sleep.
  • Reply 155 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

So now we've got the MacBooks, MacBook Pros all set, and iPhone set for later this month, so what will we see at WWDC: iMacs!!! Why would they go this long without an upgrade to the iMac if it was just going to be a boring incremental bump? They would've done that now as welll... no?

iMac issue is the size of the screen, Apple wants to put LED on it, and will delay a change until it can. Maybe a month or two (likely two) just the same as the issue with the 17" MBP.
  • Reply 156 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Wow, I just saw it with my own eyes. Crazy! Must be some sort of mistake? If that's accurate though i guess I know what sort of display i'll be going with

Hope glossy is not a 6bit screen.
  • Reply 157 of 280
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Hope glossy is not a 6bit screen.

a.) The price difference was a mistake. It's been fixed now.

b.) All MacBook (Pro and non-Pro) screens (glossy and non-glossy) are 6 bit.
  • Reply 158 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giaotze View Post

Do you guys think there will be another HW refresh when the Leopard comes up in October?

A very minor one, next significant update is prob March (just a guess).
  • Reply 159 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

A very minor one, next significant update is prob March (just a guess).

what do you think the october updates will entail? GPU? Leopard specific functions?
  • Reply 160 of 280
    kevnjkevnj Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palter View Post

OK, the new MBP's use Santa Rosa and have the 800MHz front side bus. Apple only claims to support 667MHz memory, however. Crucial sells 800MHZ DDR2-SODIMMs (e.g., $529 for 2 2GB SODIMMs). Anyone know if they'll work?

Today's updates are covered in the Crucial Memory advisor. Using that I see a US price of $369 for a 2 DIMM kit.

HTH,

Kevin