Surely there's a market for truly robust MacBook Pro's.....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
...Isn't there ?

Am I alone in the market wishing for truly robust specs, with far less concern for thickness/weight ?

All comments/jokes welcome...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    What exactly are your "robust" specs?
  • Reply 2 of 51
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    I mean very robust.

Approaching desktop levels.

Basically the 1st gen entry Mac Pro made portable(in one piece).

Being as thick as a calculus textbook is fine.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.asad View Post

...Isn't there ?

Am I alone in the market wishing for truly robust specs, with far less concern for thickness/weight ?

No there are 354 other Mac gamers who want what you want.

Like Murch said, what exactly are you looking for that the MBPs don't have?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

No there are 354 other Mac gamers who want what you want.

Like Murch said, what exactly are you looking for that the MBPs don't have?

why would you want a really huge and heavy laptop, it'd basically be like carrying a desktop around ...
  • Reply 5 of 51
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Do you mean something like the Panasonic Toughbook? The ones that can be dropped off a 12 story building, run over by tractor trailers, and sink to the bottom of the ocean and still work?
  • Reply 6 of 51
    TBH, I may differ from what the gamers want.

I have virtually no interest in graphics capability.

I only need increased processor/max RAM

Minimum:

Two Core2 Duo 2.4Ghz

6gb RAM max

Favorable:

Quad 2.66Ghz Xeon

8gb RAM max

Also one single PCI-e expansion slot
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

why would you want a really huge and heavy laptop, it'd basically be like carrying a desktop around ...

Lol Almost. But mind you, the textbooks we carry around are 2" thick, and desktops are 7" thick, and don't just fold open to a keyboard and beautiful display.

I would relish the day a 17"x9"x2" MacBook Pro powerhouse dropped.

And no, I don't mean like the Panasonic toughbook where you can drop it from a moving car.

I mean robust performance.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    toddaverytoddavery Posts: 12member
    Dont get me wrong, I love PowerMacs and PowerBooks... err uhhh MacPros and MacBook Pro's.... BUT, lets be honest here.

How about dual processors? RAID array HD setup? SLI video setup? eSata ports? Upgradeable Video Cards?

All stuff that is already out there.

Just playing Devils Advocate here.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

...Isn't there ?

All comments/jokes welcome...

I don't think there is a place for such a machine from Apple proper, that brand is all about cutting edge minimalist design these days. However, I do think there is demand for such a machine in the Mac community. Whether that means a second more conventionally minded brand or a partner, I don't know.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddAvery View Post

Dont get me wrong, I love PowerMacs and PowerBooks... err uhhh MacPros and MacBook Pro's.... BUT, lets be honest here.

How about dual processors? RAID array HD setup? SLI video setup? eSata ports? Upgradeable Video Cards?

All stuff that is already out there.

Just playing Devils Advocate here.

I'll jump in here. AFAIK the normal core2s and the mobile ones are *not* smp capable, nor is there an smp chipset for them, so no way are you seeing dual proc laptops right now. As for quad core, there arent any quad laptop chips and putting a quad core2 (or core2 based xeon(s)) would run *way* too hot for it to be a laptop.

As for the ram that was mentioned before, that's not apple's fault, but a limitation of the chipset (all of the chipsets). I'm no fanboy, not not above bashing apple when they're doing something wrong, but you simply can't fault them for this, there's nothing they can do.

I agree about esata, magnetic latch, etc though. RAID would be nice, and I believe alienware has multi-hd, raid capable laptops, but it would take a huge hit on battery life (though why we don't have better batteries I have no clue). Same with SLI. Upgradeable video cards would also be nice, but limited since there's a *very* small market for those cards, personally I'd rather see expresscard video cards come out :-p.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Lol Almost. But mind you, the textbooks we carry around are 2" thick, and desktops are 7" thick, and don't just fold open to a keyboard and beautiful display.

I would relish the day a 17"x9"x2" MacBook Pro powerhouse dropped.

And no, I don't mean like the Panasonic toughbook where you can drop it from a moving car.

I mean robust performance.

Dell almost makes the machine you want only its kinda ugly.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

Tops out at 2.33Ghz, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD (2x250...can RAID but 400GB total in their BTO option).

Vinea
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Eww...

TBH, I'd take the new maxxed MBP over that no question.

For the sake it can't run Logic Pro alone.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Tops out at 2.33Ghz, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD (2x250...can RAID but 400GB total in their BTO option).

Vinea

The dimension should have worn a condom before it had sex with the latitude.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Just buy an iMac and starp a huge ass battery too it.

I have a desktop for home and a loptop for travel/other places. Do i really want to be able to drag a 25lb laptop with me even if it has great specs. Many large laptops are pieces of shit as proved by dell.

And where did you come up with 8gb of ram. Name one notebook, not custom made, that has 8gb of ram.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    bearxorbearxor Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

I'll jump in here. AFAIK the normal core2s and the mobile ones are *not* smp capable, nor is there an smp chipset for them, so no way are you seeing dual proc laptops right now.

You're right here. C2D are not SMP compatible. Thats why Intel made Xeons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

As for quad core, there arent any quad laptop chips and putting a quad core2 (or core2 based xeon(s)) would run *way* too hot for it to be a laptop.

Expect this to change by this fall. I have a friend who is an Intel sales rep. C2Q's will start trickling out in July. They'll start with 2ghz, 4MB L2, 1066mhz FSB. Get this:

$250 per chip.

It's highly possible we may see a rise of C2Q's being used in DTR style notebooks, like the XPS 1710. I doubt Apple would be in on it, but I'd expect to see a Santa-Rosa compatible C2Q before the end of the year. Should be a drop-in replacement for current 800mhz C2D's.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    http://voodoopc.com/sellpage/sellpage.aspx?spid=74

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT

All one must do is plunk down the cash and prepare for a back ache! Big-time gaming systems for big-time gamers. I don't think Apple is ready for this stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    There are plenty of videographers and indie filmmakers who would love to see a machine like the one vaguely outlined here, but I suspect that it will take a while to ultimately satisfy their wishes. Let me offer a "for instance."

Indie filmmakers with prosumer budgets (under 10K) know that unless they go with the Panasonic HVX200 camcorder, they can't hope to capture 4:2:2 HD quality footage in the field. But working with the Panasonic camera entails some major tradeoffs. Its chips desperately crave light and they don't capture genuine HD (the camera ups the resolution from a smaller — in terms of raw pixels — original capture). For all of its vaunted reputation as an indie filmmaker's dream, the HVX200 has the "softest" image among the current crop of higher end prosumer camcorders.

In contrast, Canon's XH-H1, XH-G1, and XH-A1 camcorders actually capture footage at 1440 x 1080 pixels but downconvert the original 4:2:2 signal in order to squeeze the footage onto tape. The XH-H1 and XH-G1 do have HD-SDI ports for outputting an unadulterated HD stream, but the uncompressed footage is so massive that it requires costly capture devices (like the 16K portable Waffian field recorder) in order to ingest the signal. Only studios equipped with hi-end MacPro or Wintel desktops (and pricey RAID arrays) can manage the uncompressed footage.

How does the Panasonic get around the 4:2:2 bottleneck? It uses a DVCPRO codec which is substantially more streamlined than uncompressed HD but which is generally considered superior to — and more easily editable than — the long-GOP HDV codec (MPEG 2) used by almost all other HDV camcorders, including those made by Canon. Videography in this price range amounts to a series of trade-offs.

What does all of this have to do with the poster's original question? Very simply, videographers and filmmakers would LOVE to see the day when they could take a Macbook Pro into the field and capture an uncompressed signal directly to disk. Firewire 800, as fast as it is, can't sustain the transfer rates needed to do so, nor will it be possible until hard drive speeds increase and/or laptop RAIDs become a workable reality.

In the meantime, this area cries out for a compromise solution. A number of workarounds already exist, but Apple could lead the way by fielding a compelling software/hardware combination. Their Final Cut Studio 2 suite moves in the right direction, but Apple could really make a splash by partnering with a company like Canon and showcasing the Macbook Pro not simply as a great video-editing device (which it is) but as an indispensible capture device. Tethered to each other, the impressive line of Canon (or JVC or Sony or Panasonic or RED) camcorders could hook up with a Macbook Pro and bypass tape (or even Panasonic's tapeless P2 storage media) altogether. Now THAT would be a great thing—precisely the sort of machine this user would love to buy.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Given the new direction in all aspects of entertainment and media...

...a "PRO-sumer" (current MBP being "pro-SUMER") laptop shows promise.

Key for apple's sales of said product, is to offer very little standard.

Offering little more than robust processors, a PCI-e slot, & high RAM capacity, as standard...

...will serve 2 functions...

1. Tailor fit

2. Lower price

...Both making the product much more enticing.

Perhaps unlikely, but if Apple dropped a mega-MBP around the same time Digidesign(Avid) dropped their MADI cards...
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

http://voodoopc.com/sellpage/sellpage.aspx?spid=74

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-DEFAULT

All one must do is plunk down the cash and prepare for a back ache! Big-time gaming systems for big-time gamers. I don't think Apple is ready for this stuff.

I was thinking strictly for Film & Recording. I know nothing of the gaming world to speculate if such a machine would appeal to gamers.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

There are plenty of videographers and indie filmmakers who would love to see a machine like the one vaguely outlined here, but I suspect that it will take a while to ultimately satisfy their wishes....

What people are really talking about here is a lugable. I have a couple of old ones in the closet right now. For those who don't know basically a box with handles and a detachable or fold-down KB and monitor. It's basically what that dell laptop is actually, though the dell is considerably more (believe it or not) pretty :-p. Sun's laptops are almost like this actually, basically light foldable workstations with handles.

I seriously doubt Apple is going to get into this field, though you never know. As you said, a portable Mac Pro would be a nice, take anywhere editing station. I'm not sure I see enough demand for it to come directly from Apple though (and wasn't there that device that was just introduced with hardware encoding etc to implement this with a MBP and FCP?