Apple retail preps for iPhone, 17-inch PBG4 defect, EU deadline

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Major additions to Apple's retail stores for the iPhone will reportedly push the outlets to their limit. Also, the Mac maker is facing added pressure from owners of malfunctioning 17-inch PowerBooks at the same time as it gains relief from the European Union.

Apple stores face major iPhone upgrade

The June 29th launch of the iPhone will require far more work for employees at Apple's growing retail chain, according to new information obtained by ifo Apple Store.

Most retail additions involve clearing space for new demo units and familiarization training for the staff. But the iPhone, according to sources, will demand a far greater level of effort than the company's retail branch has known to date. Apple's policy of enabling every product feature is said to be carrying over to its first cellphone, demanding that each US store be laced with cellular signal repeaters to preserve phone call quality.

Moreover, the company has allegedly developed a brand new method of subscribing new customers to AT&T's phone service to ensure that the experience is far quicker than the often drawn-out process at most cellphone stores. The technique may involve bringing buyers to the Internet during the sign-up phase, the tip said.

The firm's signature Apple Geniuses will also be asked to expand their knowledge even further, providing not only first-hand troubleshooting but also tutorials for newcomers to the touchscreen phone's controls.

Campaign demands 17-inch PowerBook G4 screen repairs

A grassroots effort is underway that hopes to hold Apple responsible for what appears to be a systemic flaw in the screens of its last-generation, 17-inch PowerBook G4 computers.

The Free Repair Campaign notes that many of the PowerPC-based systems produced between March and April 2005 develop pixel-wide vertical lines that gradually render the display unusable. Problems with the screens only became clear in recent months as the flaw only tends to appear between 12 to 24 months after the display's manufacture date -- forcing those without AppleCare to pay the full repair price.

A similar issue had crept up in Dell systems during a similar but larger period. The supporting evidence suggests both a wider problem and a potential solution for Apple, the campaigners said: the Windows PC builder has offered to not only replace affected screens free of charge but to compensate those who had already paid for out-of-warranty repairs.

Response from Apple have so far been far from ideal, however, triggering the organized publicity effort. The company has so far deleted whole threads from its support website and doesn't track the common complaints, preventing those who call Apple's technical help from pointing to other examples.

The Free Repair Campaign asks any affected PowerBook owner to contact Apple personally with their complaints.

EU grants extension on iTunes antitrust complaints

Apple on Tuesday was given roughly two more weeks to respond to complaints by the European Commission that its iTunes Store unfairly restricts song buying to customers' home countries, artificially lifting prices.

Although the company had let the June 4th deadline elapse, EC spokesman Neelie Kroes confirmed that Apple would now have until June 20th to formally respond to criticism of the anti-competitive behavior.

"Customers are unable to shop around... and buy from the iTunes store they would like to," said Kroes.

Apple could face fines as high as 10 percent of its annual global income if the Commission finds that the company has violated European antitrust rules.

Two California Apple retail stores opening this weekend

Finally, Apple's already large retail presence in its home state will expand further on June 9th.

Both Apple Store Fashion Fair in Fresno, as well as San Luis Obispo's Apple Store Baybrook, will open this Saturday at the firm's customary 10AM grand opening time.

The first thousand visitors to each store are promised an Apple T-shirt, while all visitors during the first month will also have an opportunity to win a grand prize that includes Apple's latest MacBook. In a relatively new addition, there will also be secondary prizes: ten winners at each store will win a year-long One to One membership for personalized Mac training.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    The San Luis Obispo store is Higuera Street:

http://www.apple.com/retail/higueras.../20070610.html
  • Reply 2 of 24
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    So, they're going to let people make call on the in-store demo iPhones? Is that really economic?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    eruithildureruithildur Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

So, they're going to let people make call on the in-store demo iPhones? Is that really economic?

Probably won't cost cingular much... And seeing all the stores are going to be Apple or Cingular owned the two companies it shouldn't be THAT bad.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Good news for me!! My 17" Powerbook screen has the vertical lines and I had no idea that it was a large issue. I also dropped a glass on my screen and cracked it so hopefully they still replace it.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I also dropped a glass on my screen and cracked it so hopefully they still replace it.

Oh, of course.................NOT!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Good news for me!! My 17" Powerbook screen has the vertical lines and I had no idea that it was a large issue. I also dropped a glass on my screen and cracked it so hopefully they still replace it.

Good luck with that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Moreover, the company has allegedly developed a brand new method of subscribing new customers to AT&T's phone service to ensure that the experience is far quicker than the often drawn-out process at most cellphone stores. The technique may involve bringing buyers to the Internet during the sign-up phase, the tip said.

Cool. One thing I've always hated is the long wait in cell phone stores. Streamlining the process will hopefully make other carriers follow suit. Win-Win for the consumer.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    "Campaign demands 17-inch MBP screen repairs"

You mean PB.

*Insert small rant about insufficient proofreading*
  • Reply 8 of 24
    It had the lines before I broke the screen though... I'm still hoping.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Here's what I'm having no luck finding out...

I have a company provided phone with a Cingular contract. Voice + data, the only hitch being that its a specific contract with Cingular that takes advantage of pooled time. Allows a little advantage for the company to slip high use folks into a pool of less expensive minutes.

What I can't find out is if I'm going to be able to simply convert my existing number under that corporate contract to use an iPhone. I'm popping for the hardware... I don't expect my company to fund my toy jones, but it would seem crazy for Cingular/ATT/Apple to jinx a sale because a user doesn't have control over the corporate contract.

Anyone have an inkling of how friendly Cingular is going to be to to corporate users?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    regarding the iphone...

Does this mean that on top of buying the cell phone, i'm going to have to shell out a deposit as well? Generally when you get a cell, sometimes they need you to give a deposit as well...

let's see..

$499 iphone

$38.68 sales tax

$200 deposit.

hehe, $737.68 out the door for a phone. ::not complaining about the price, im just hurtin' a little in the pocket book with the thought of buying this thing..:: i guess thats what i pay for early adoption?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post

Generally when you get a cell, sometimes they need you to give a deposit as well...

Only when you have bad credit
  • Reply 12 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

How do you drop a glass on an almost vertical screen?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    melgross,

if you drink as much as me and MacSuperiority do, then it's no problem!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday was given roughly two more weeks to respond to complaints by the European Commission that its iTunes Store unfairly restricts song buying to customers' home countries, artificially lifting prices.

Although the company had let the June 4th deadline elapse, EC spokesman Neelie Kroes confirmed that Apple would now have until June 20th to formally respond to criticism of the anti-competitive behavior.

"Customers are unable to shop around... and buy from the iTunes store they would like to," said Kroes.

Oh PLEASE let this mean Apple will decide to de-region the iTunes Store. I'm going to hit the Japanese content like an Iraqi-based US Marine on a weekend pass!

You heard me.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

melgross,

if you drink as much as me and MacSuperiority do, then it's no problem!

Whoa!
  • Reply 16 of 24
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    (edit)
  • Reply 17 of 24
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Things like this 17" PB problem really get me pissed at Apple sometimes. I understand that they don't want to have to replace the screens, but to delete entrie threads to keep it under the rug is unethical. Even though I don't have a 17" PB, I have to give Apple a big F@#$ YOU for this one.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

As long as it's not wildly abused, how is it not economic? My local Best Buy has been doing that for years, at least when I checked. I wouldn't buy a phone without at least hearing its sound quality. Why someone would lock themselves into a one or two year contract without at least a half-assed test drive (a phone call or two) is beyond me.

Anyway, even if it costed $50/mo per phone for calls, divide that by one or two sales per day and that's $1 per sale. I think that it would only cost even a small fraction of that per sale. Weigh that against the cost of the device + the service ($600 + ~$50 * 24) and that's probably averaging $1800 per sale.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

(edit)

Uh, what's going on here Sunil?

Are you out of work again?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As long as it's not wildly abused, how is it not economic? My local Best Buy has been doing that for years, at least when I checked. I wouldn't buy a phone without at least hearing its sound quality. Why someone would lock themselves into a one or two year contract without a half-assed test drive (a phone call or two) is beyond me.

Anyway, even if it costed $50/mo per phone for calls, divide that by one or two sales per day and that's $1 per sale. I think that it would only cost even a small fraction of that per sale. Weigh that against the cost of the device + the service ($600 + ~$50 * 24) and that's probably averaging $1800 per sale.

To add to that, the calls are not being billed, so the paperwork, which gobbles up much of that cost isn't being required. The network cost for each call is negligable.