Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Despite a growing number of reports to the contrary, it's highly unlikely that Apple will use its developer conference next week to showcase a line of redesigned iMac desktop computers, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say an extensive overhaul to the top-selling Apple consumer desktop machines remains on track for an unveiling later this year, adding that an introduction during company's Worldwide Developer Conference on Monday would be premature and serve only to disrupt sales of existing models.

"There's no compelling rationale for [Apple] to pre-announce new iMacs months in advance of availability," said another contact familiar with Cupertino-based Mac maker's consumer product strategy. "The current iMacs appear to have some life left in them."

Instead, Apple is expected to use its annual developer gathering to zero-in on "Top Secret" enhancements to its next-generation Mac OS X Leopard operating system that have been lingering beneath the surface of pre-release builds since the software was first previewed at last year's conference.

Those in attendance will walk away from chief executive Steve Jobs' inaugural keynote address with the first pre-release software builds of a "feature complete" Leopard, Apple has promised.

Should there be truth a recent report by the New York Times, Jobs may also use the event to brief Mac OS X developers on the company's plans to allow third-party application development for the upcoming iPhone device.

As was reported exclusively by AppleInsider back in March, Apple engineers have been putting extra hours into a pair of radically redesigned 20- and 24-inch iMacs that will be both slimmer and sleeker than today's offerings. When the project reaches fruition later this year, it will represent the first major industrial design overhaul to hit the flagship all-in-one consumer Apple desktops in nearly three years.

Omitted from the makeover will be Apple's 17-inch iMac model, people familiar with the project have said. The entry-level offering will reportedly become the subject of considerable neglect, and may eventually meet the same fate as the firm's now defunct 12-inch PowerBook and soon-to-be sacrificed Mac mini.

Apple's current line of iMac personal computers includes 17-, 20- and 24-inch models.

Unlike a supply-chain pattern (1, 2) that manifested in the weeks and days leading up to Tuesday's MacBook Pro revamp, checks into the availability and channel flow of existing iMac models revealed no disruptions and normal availability. Additionally, high-volume dealers are expecting an uninterrupted stream of iMac shipments for the foreseeable future.

Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference will kick off with Jobs' keynote address beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, June 11, 2007 at San Francisco?s Moscone West convention center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 141
    syklee26syklee26 Posts: 78member
    who knows? we might see 30 inch iMac in next event (along with price drop of 30inch ACD).

I actually believe that new iMacs might coincide with new ACD to have consistent pricing.
  • Reply 2 of 141
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite a growing number of reports to the contrary, it's highly unlikely that Apple will use its developer conference next week to showcase a line of redesigned iMac desktop computers, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say an extensive overhaul to the top-selling Apple consumer desktop machines remains on track for an unveiling later this year, adding that an introduction during company's Worldwide Developer Conference on Monday would be premature and serve only to disrupt sales of existing models.

"There's no compelling rationale for [Apple] to pre-announce new iMacs months in advance of availability," said another contact familiar with Cupertino-based Mac makers consumer product strategy. "The current iMacs appear to have some life left in them."

[/url][/c]

Booo! No new iMacs for the time being.
  • Reply 3 of 141
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Poor bets placed?
  • Reply 4 of 141
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Whatever happens, Apple will show Leopard off on the best possible hardware. We have new MacBook Pro computers, perhaps the Mac Pro will be announced as a revamped system.
  • Reply 5 of 141
    There is nothing coming out of WWDC that will be available for retail purchase. You thought Macworld was lackluster and disappointing as far as "fund-funneling" oportunties go, WWDC will be all about Leopard and how you can't have it yet unless you're a developer attending the conference.
  • Reply 6 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    iMacs are in very good supply within our distributor network. That would tend to indicate that Apple is not yet spooling down manufacturing on the existing models. While nothing is ever certain with the RDF floating above our heads, good supply means nothing is going to be announced. I think Apple has learned from past inventory mistakes and are very good at keeping these things under control.

We, of course, are keeping our inventory very light.

Just in case!
  • Reply 7 of 141
    No!
  • Reply 8 of 141
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Since I'm not in the market for a new Mac yet I'm more interested in seeing a full demo of "Feature Complete" Leopard and perhaps more info on the iPhone.

I'm sure That Apple will have a nice update in time. The developers are been keen on the new features of Leopard but they are all under NDA, frankly, even with a new version of the imac I'll that it will be underwhelming too many.
  • Reply 9 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

There is nothing coming out of WWDC that will be available for retail purchase. You thought Macworld was lackluster and disappointing as far as "fund-funneling" oportunties go, WWDC will be all about Leopard and how you can't have it yet unless you're a developer attending the conference.

And that would be what the "Developer's Conference" infers.

We have all gotten accustomed to Apple releasing some fantastic thing at each and every gathering, and are disappointed when they don't.

There will most likely be "One more thing?", but don't get your hopes up too high.
  • Reply 10 of 141
    They gotta intorduce something don't they. I cant remember a single keynote where some form of hardware wasn't introed.

That means either a headless mac or a subnotebook. I cant wait.
  • Reply 11 of 141
    Quote:

...a pair of radically redesigned 20- and 24-inch iMacs that will be both slimmer and sleeker than today's offerings.

The only question left then is this: are they slim and sleek enough for solipsism to masturbate to?

• Reply 12 of 141
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    NO NO, hope AI is wrong on this, atleast Santa Rosa update is minimum!

or iPod and iMac and Leopard willl be in last quarter, no idea whether it is too good (all the students will be cursing if everything will be released after sep 16th!)
  • Reply 13 of 141
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I guess the good news here is that the new iMac hardware will probably take advantage of Leopard specific features. As we all know Leopard should have been released by now, according to the original schedule, so perhaps the new iMac design is ready to go to production. Or perhaps they are using this extra time to improve the hardware even further.

I'm sure Steve Jobs will have plenty to dazzle us with at WWDC. He has to! I just hope Leopard is enough to keep us all at bay until the new hardware is announced.
  • Reply 14 of 141
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

who knows? we might see 30 inch iMac in next event (along with price drop of 30inch ACD).

I actually believe that new iMacs might coincide with new ACD to have consistent pricing.

What would be the target market for a 30" iMac?

People who buy computers with 30" screens are, 99% of the time, not the type of people who want all-in-one computers with limited upgradability.

A 30" all in one computer is kind of stupid anyway. The point of an all in one is that it's compact. It's not going to be compact if it's 30" diagonally.
  • Reply 15 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What would be the target market for a 30" iMac?

People who buy computers with 30" screens are, 99% of the time, not the type of people who want all-in-one computers with limited upgradability.

A 30" all in one computer is kind of stupid anyway. The point of an all in one is that it's compact. It's not going to be compact if it's 30" diagonally.

A 30th anniversary, 30" iMac, would sell like mad! It would look like this:

30" ACD

3GHz Intel Xeon Dual Core

2GB RAM (expandable to 8)

Dual drive bays (single 500GB standard)

X1900 Graphics

Blue Ray/SD combo thingy

Wireless KB/MS standard

Black with gold-plated Apple logo and 30th anniversary tag

$4999

That would be cool!

As a side note, Stevie boy isn't going to take time on stage to announce iMacs with minor speed bumps. It's all or nothing.

My predicition: One More Thing = subnotebook.
  • Reply 16 of 141
    jdmlightjdmlight Posts: 29member
    Quote:

I suppose, but Steve said:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it.

So yes, he will focus a lot on Leopard, but I'd be surprised if the iMacs didn't get an update. Apple recently updated the MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro. That only leaves the iMac and Mini. Assuming that the Mini does get scrapped, the iMac would have to be updated for there to be "massive investments in desktops." Unless Steve has something else up his sleeve, like a minitower Mac. (edit: or a subnotebook)

BTW, I'd buy a 30" iMac.
  • Reply 17 of 141
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    In his last interview Jobs said that he hopes soon they will be selling more than 90% notebooks. Now we know the paln - update the rest of the line once in 2 years

I wanted a new iMac in June
  • Reply 18 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I guess the good news here is that the new iMac hardware will probably take advantage of Leopard specific features. As we all know Leopard should have been released by now, according to the original schedule, so perhaps the new iMac design is ready to go to production. Or perhaps they are using this extra time to improve the hardware even further.

I'm sure Steve Jobs will have plenty to dazzle us with at WWDC. He has to! I just hope Leopard is enough to keep us all at bay until the new hardware is announced.

Unless there's a second hard drive for Time Machine (very unlikely, that's just stuff MOSR made up), that's unlikely. Any totally hardware-dependent Leopard features will get announced at WWDC, and unless it's just something simple like a second hard drive, something like (for example) a touchscreen interface would utterly cannibalize hardware sales if they said "touchscreen hardware coming this fall."
  • Reply 19 of 141
    who knows what they're going to do. for all we know, the updates done to the macbook pro macbook and macpro were just to get rid of some inventory. mabye they are going to release new ones, mabye some new case designs or something. who knows. mabye they'll make a new mouse, and they'll call it the "mightier mouse"
  • Reply 20 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

That means either a headless mac or a subnotebook. I cant wait.

No, no, no. As long as Steve Jobs is around, Apple will not release a headless midrange. As for the subnotebook, I really doubt that they would do that.

They will likely release an update to the design of the Mac Pro. Remember, the design is even older then the current iMacs.