Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

The only question left then is this: are they slim and sleek enough for solipsism to masturbate to?

You shouldn't put them in profile ?

On a different note: Isn't Leopard a great product on its own? I am very keen to find out about Adressbook, iCal, iPhoto (labelling, stacking and freely arranging pictures), Safari (labelling and organising your bookmarks), .mac and Mail (no more "Re:'s"?)! Alotof questions about the little things that do shape our daily smiles!

My hardware guess: new LED powered 20" / 24" / 30" cinema displays
  • Reply 22 of 141
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdmlight View Post

I suppose, but Steve said:

Quote:

If you come to WWDC we're rolling out our new version of OSX -- massive investments in desktops. You'll love it.

So yes, he will focus a lot on Leopard, but I'd be surprised if the iMacs didn't get an update.

Well, I don't know, that could have been a slight slip of the tongue: "massive investment in [the] desktop." As in, Mac OS X, our "desktop" OS for Macs. After all, the question was if Apple was going to continue to invest time and energy in Macs. Obviously, new iMacs help answer that question, but even more so would an innovative and bleeding-edge new version of Apple's desktop OS.

I would not be surprised to have a WWDC that focused entirely on Leopard (along with a Leopard-only iLife and OS X Mini). If you read between the lines, it's clear that there's much more to Leopard that's been publicly revealed.... I suspect the real Leopard (especially the UI) is yet another shadowy secret project Apple has been working on years. It's going to be a *big* deal.
  • Reply 23 of 141
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What would be the target market for a 30" iMac?

People who buy computers with 30" screens are, 99% of the time, not the type of people who want all-in-one computers with limited upgradability.

A 30" all in one computer is kind of stupid anyway. The point of an all in one is that it's compact. It's not going to be compact if it's 30" diagonally.

What about a 30" touchscreen iMac? I think we're too early to hope for one, but that would be a SWEET machine.
  • Reply 24 of 141
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What would be the target market for a 30" iMac?

People who buy computers with 30" screens are, 99% of the time, not the type of people who want all-in-one computers with limited upgradability.

A 30" all in one computer is kind of stupid anyway. The point of an all in one is that it's compact. It's not going to be compact if it's 30" diagonally.

Production assistants? The iMac is a pretty powerful machine, and they don't need a workhorse of a machine that someone in full production would need.

As much as I would love to buy a Mac Pro maxed out, I could never afford it. A 30" iMac priced at 2499 on the other hand would be reasonable. No I am not a production assistant or do anything in production but it would inspire me to get my video projects going
  • Reply 25 of 141
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    When I said I wanted Mac news instead of iphone news, I meant good news.

Even if they aren't redesigned at the moment, I can see them bumped to the same specs as the Macbook Pros. I won't be bothering of course because I want a redesign, so the waiting continues.

If there's no iMac update and they are getting rid of the 17" for sure as well as the Mini, there has to be something else to go in there. There HAS to be.

Has someone been sneaking some cubic packages into the WWDC? Ah wait, that would be too obvious, everybody look for round or rectangular boxes.
  • Reply 26 of 141
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Production assistants? The iMac is a pretty powerful machine, and they don't need a workhorse of a machine that someone in full production would need.

As much as I would love to buy a Mac Pro maxed out, I could never afford it. A 30" iMac priced at 2499 on the other hand would be reasonable. No I am not a production assistant or do anything in production but it would inspire me to get my video projects going

I think his point is, if you're going to invest in a ton of money, most of which is going to a 30" screen, you'd probably want to invest it such that that screen doesn't have to be dumped when you dump the computer. One of the reasons I hate the all-in-ones.
  • Reply 27 of 141
    This is fine by me. My girlfriend's parents just bought the 17" iMac. Looks like they'll get a little more time with the current model before they discontinue the 17" completely.

That said, does anyone else think that with the 17" iMac going it is unlikely the Mac Mini is going to be EOL'ed? I mean that would leave Apple with no sub 1000 computers in the line, which to me makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

They gotta intorduce something don't they. I cant remember a single keynote where some form of hardware wasn't introed.

There were no Macs intro'ed at MacWorld 2007.
  • Reply 29 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

There were no Macs intro'ed at MacWorld 2007 nor at WWDC 2006.

Still, Steve did say something about desktops being the key theme at WWDC. Could a Mac Mini replacement or upgrade be in the works we haven't heard about? If not the iMac the Mac Mini is in the biggest need of an upgrade.
  • Reply 30 of 141
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

In his last interview Jobs said that he hopes soon they will be selling more than 90% notebooks. Now we know the paln - update the rest of the line once in 2 years

I wanted a new iMac in June

No doubt about it. This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Build desktops that nobody wants (iMac) or most can't afford (Mac Pro), then you can point and say "Our business is 90%" notebooks.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    your forcing me to get a PC apple

i need a new computer ASAP now and I am not paying apples current prices for outdated hardware!!!!!

update the mac pro at least!!!!
  • Reply 32 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

No, no, no. As long as Steve Jobs is around, Apple will not release a headless midrange. As for the subnotebook, I really doubt that they would do that.

They will likely release an update to the design of the Mac Pro. Remember, the design is even older then the current iMacs.

So what are they going to do then. Keep on with the same damn lineup they have had for the past 3 years. Thats not the way to grow a business. They have to introduce a new computer some time. A lot of people want a headless mac and Apple might finally listen to them.
  • Reply 33 of 141
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Yay 4 1 year update cycle!!! WTG Apple
  • Reply 34 of 141
    Quote:

Notice I didnt say macs I said hardware. iPhone was the focus of MWSF 07 so they didnt need to intro new macs. Any mac announcement would have been completely overshadowed by the iphone.
  • Reply 35 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

So what are they going to do then. Keep on with the same damn lineup they have had for the past 3 years. Thats not the way to grow a business. They have to introduce a new computer some time. A lot of people want a headless mac and Apple might finally listen to them.

And if they don't, more and more and more people will build hackintoshes. It's getting way too easy to build / and use them with no drawbacks.
  • Reply 36 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

No doubt about it. This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Build desktops that nobody wants (iMac) or most can't afford (Mac Pro), then you can point and say "Our business is 90%" notebooks.

I'm not too sure I understand that. We sell iMacs like crazy, and lots of people want them. Just because you don't, doesn't make them unpopular. The vast majority of PC-switchers that walk into our store are positively thrilled with the idea of eliminating that big rat's nest of cables behind their desk. Calling the iMac a computer that nobody wants is a bit of a stretch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

your forcing me to get a PC apple

i need a new computer ASAP now and I am not paying apples current prices for outdated hardware!!!!!

update the mac pro at least!!!!

The MacPro is far from out-dated! You can show me hardware that is faster and cheaper?
  • Reply 37 of 141
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:

Mac Pro.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

Mac Pro.

Mac Pro was NOT updated at MWSF 07. The OCTO update was a silent update on April 4th 2007.
  • Reply 39 of 141
    Mac pro is in desparate need of new GPU's!!!!

And for a computer that price, needs 2GB Ram as standard!!

As it is a developers conference as such, i do think we could see this happen
  • Reply 40 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Mac Pro was NOT updated at MWSF 07. The OCTO update was a silent update on April 4th 2007.

Exactly. MWSF '07 saw iPod sales figures, Apple TV and the iPhone.