Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by athletics68 View Post

This is fine by me. My girlfriend's parents just bought the 17" iMac. Looks like they'll get a little more time with the current model before they discontinue the 17" completely.

That said, does anyone else think that with the 17" iMac going it is unlikely the Mac Mini is going to be EOL'ed? I mean that would leave Apple with no sub 1000 computers in the line, which to me makes no sense whatsoever.

I do not mind the 17" iMac getting discontinued, but the Mac mini should be kept and updated with a Core 2 Duo, and 802.11n at the very least. Including the GMA x3100 would be icing on the cake.
  • Reply 62 of 141
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

Yes they did.

I agree with that. But whether or not Apple is going to do anything about it is up in the air. The Cube was moderately upgardeable, but was a $$ failure. The mini sucks eggs for upgradeability, but is relatively cheap.

One way or another, Apple's exisitng model is what we have to work with. End of story. We can gripe, and they might listen, but they might not. We'll see.

Apple also had the far superior PMG4 in the same configuration for $300 cheaper.
  • Reply 63 of 141
    I was getting readiy to by my first mac, a 24" iMac once they were updated at WWDC, at least based on all the rumors. Any speculation now - End of June? Late Summer?

It would stink for them to wait until the fall, that would probably effect the back to school people.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

In his last interview Jobs said that he hopes soon they will be selling more than 90% notebooks.

That's not what he said:

Jobs: "Our share in notebooks is ahead of the industry, two-thirds notebooks. I can see a time when notebooks are 80, 90 percent of what we sell."

There was no "hopes", and there was no "more than 90 percent". Jobs doesn't hate desktops. He was just predicting what Apple's desktop/notebook ratio might be sometime down the road.

• Reply 65 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Go Banana View Post

There is nothing coming out of WWDC that will be available for retail purchase. You thought Macworld was lackluster and disappointing as far as "fund-funneling" oportunties go, WWDC will be all about Leopard and how you can't have it yet unless you're a developer attending the conference.

You're probably right.

WWDC will likely be 90% Leopard, and 10% "3rd party apps for iPhone?".

One can hope for a hardware bolt from the blue (subnotebook?), but I ain't holdin' my breath.

• Reply 66 of 141
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Let me get this straight.

1) AI thinks the 17" iMac is EOL

2) AI thinks the mini is EOL

3) AI doesn't think there will be new hardware at WWDC

I hope AI is wrong but have to admit that their recent calls have been spot on. If so SJ should announce at WWDC that Apple Inc. think that computer users suck balls. The future is TELEPHONES.
  • Reply 67 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

The Mac Pro only came out last fall and was updated in April.

That's a lot for towers that Apple in the past has only updated once per year.

It actually hasn't been upgraded since October. The addition to the line in April wasn't an upgrade.
  • Reply 68 of 141
    cygnusrk727cygnusrk727 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apcpa2000 View Post

I was getting readiy to by my first mac, a 24" iMac once they were updated at WWDC, at least based on all the rumors. Any speculation now - End of June? Late Summer?

It would stink for them to wait until the fall, that would probably effect the back to school people.

I'm hoping a totally re-designed iMac is released sometime in July. I'm waiting for the tax-free day in August to buy one. The iPhone is going to be a HUGE deal as far as releases go. I can see Apple fully concentrating on that in June along with Leopard's remaining details being released.
  • Reply 69 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Prior to the Mac mini launch, people were saying that Apple would never make a sub-$500 computer. Then, right before the Intel switch, people (including me, I'm afraid) were saying that Apple would never switch to Intel. Now, people are saying Apple would never introduce a minitower.

The point is that these "Apple would never" statements tend not to be true these days.

Excellent (and true) observation.

But I'm sure we'll still keep hearing the "Apple would NEVER" prognostications being thrown about as hard and fast as ever:

Apple forum pundit: "Apple would NEVER..."

*Apple then does that very thing*

Pundit's friend: Yeah, you know that word, 'never'? I don't think it means what you think it means.

Apple forum pundit: #@$%!!!!

Let's reserve the 'NEVERs' for very obvious situations ("Apple would never mandate that their employees Riverdance to work...") and for folks who actually sit in on high-level Apple strategy meetings (who'd be very unlikely to post about it, obviously).

• Reply 70 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

The only question left then is this: are they slim and sleek enough for solipsism to masturbate to?

HAHAHA

The real question is... Why are YOU thinking about ME masturbating to Apple hardware?

Thanks, that comment made my day.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I seriously doubt the Mac Pro will get a revamp (maybe a new graphics card) until Penryn is shipping (late 07). There isn't really any new hardware out there to upgrade to. Sure they could do a Crossfire or SLI, or use the 775 socket xeons so they could use regular DDR2 Dimms. But that wouldn't really bring anything to the table except for enthuisiasts. Penryn is the next big thing, it's going to knock the stuffing out of merom / conroe / woodcrest / clovertown.

I'm really surprised apple is taking so long on the iMac update. The enclosure must really be different for them to be taking so long. iMac got core2duo before the mbp did (though that WAS a drop in replacement in the imacs since the cpu isn't soldered in).
  • Reply 72 of 141
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

What would be the target market for a 30" iMac?

I can tell you a perfect scenario. Apple releases a 30" iMac that's slimmer. Therefore, it can be mounted on the wall. With the built in DVD player (possible Blu-ray), remote control, and hardware hi-def video decoding, it would become a perfect little home theater in a screen. Think of it as a HD TV with DVD with NO cables whatsoever except for power. You wouldn't even need AppleTV to run things like YouTube or Joost because your 'tv' is already a beefy OSX machine.
  • Reply 73 of 141
    sbhsbh Posts: 3member
    I put my money on new iMacs coming out in Sept. right after the "back-to-school promotion" for iPods ends...
  • Reply 74 of 141
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

He was being ironic. Prior to the Mac mini launch, people were saying that Apple would never make a sub-$500 computer. Then, right before the Intel switch, people (including me, I'm afraid) were saying that Apple would never switch to Intel. Now, people are saying Apple would never introduce a minitower. The point is that these "Apple would never" statements tend not to be true these days.

Well let's look at it from a couple of different standpoints. How about that Apple hasn't produced towers with different footprints at the same time since they abandoned beige. This goes beyond waiting two or three years for a new machine.

In addition, one gets the idea with AppleTV, the iPhone, MacBook Pros, iMac revisions, and new Intel chips for all of the above, that Apple is quite busy already.

Don't get me wrong. I would like nothing more than for Apple to release a Macintosh for ME but I've been waiting for about 10 years now and I don't think I'm going to be made happy any time soon. I think I'll be waiting this year and next for a machine that's more powerful than a mini, doesn't have an attached screen, and costs less than a laptop or full size tower. I might even be waiting next year. Or another ten years.
  • Reply 75 of 141
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHAHA

The real question is... Why are YOU thinking about ME masturbating to Apple hardware?

You're doing it right now, aren't you?
  • Reply 76 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbh View Post

I put my money on new iMacs coming out in Sept. right after the "back-to-school promotion" for iPods ends...

That is exactly what I am expecting. Although we might get lucky and see that whopping 30" iMac!
  • Reply 77 of 141
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

WTFH? Could you continue this whack-fest in a different thread? It's revolting.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Uh-oh. You've seen it, now you can't unsee it! Aaighhh!!

• Reply 79 of 141
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

lol.... but it's funny :-p
  • Reply 80 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I just ignore the children and their screwed up minds but it is really disgusting.