Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference

Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

The Mac Pro only came out last fall and was updated in April.

That's a lot for towers that Apple in the past has only updated once per year.

In the old days, Apple updated their towers every three months. That stopped when Moto failed to deliver faster chips on schelule.
  • Reply 82 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

That is a very good point. Never thought of it that way.

Here's another one.

Most new copies of software are bought by people buying a new computer, and most of that, is bought by people on a platform for the first time.

Therefore, new machines at a developers conf. would be a good thing to show them. They would feel as though the platform is being advanced, and that there would soon be even more customers for their newer software.
  • Reply 83 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHAHA

The real question is... Why are YOU thinking about ME masturbating to Apple hardware?

Thanks, that comment made my day.

If you stop doing it, they will just have to picture it in their minds, sicko's that they are.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

Mac pro is in desparate need of new GPU's!!!!

And for a computer that price, needs 2GB Ram as standard!!

It's too bad that the mac pro uses FB-DIMMs

apple needs to go the the next chip set that may use DDR2 ECC or just DDR2 and have more pci-e lanes.
  • Reply 85 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Has someone been sneaking some cubic packages into the WWDC? Ah wait, that would be too obvious, everybody look for round or rectangular boxes.

Maybe some tetrahedral ones would throw people off enough for it to actually be kept a secret this time.
  • Reply 86 of 141
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kscherer View Post

A 30th anniversary, 30" iMac, would sell like mad! It would look like this:

30" ACD

3GHz Intel Xeon Dual Core

2GB RAM (expandable to 8)

Dual drive bays (single 500GB standard)

X1900 Graphics

Blue Ray/SD combo thingy

Wireless KB/MS standard

Black with gold-plated Apple logo and 30th anniversary tag

$4999

That would be cool!

As a side note, Stevie boy isn't going to take time on stage to announce iMacs with minor speed bumps. It's all or nothing.

My predicition: One More Thing = subnotebook.

All-in-one buyers may well include those who

value , not only compactness, but video delights of every description.

A 24" is good for one person. But, to share with friends, a 30" pic is about the minimal requirement.

"Compactness" , for a desk top, means footprint not volume.

A 30" iMac would not clutter a desk top much more than a 24" would, even if the form factor were as it is today.

Such a beauty would, at long last, integrate totally, the TV, TIVO, and computer functions in a home; especially a small apartment or dorm room.

With a digital antenna and El Gato's Eye-TV , you have free HD just about anything.

Most news shows are trash propaganda now, so get Olbermann, Jon Stewart, Colbert, et al. for realistic, honest news. Get in-depth investigative reporting free from PBS FrontLine, get any kind of video podcast like Amy Goodman and others. Get movies from iTunes or rental DVD's. Treat a friend to the theater.Get free HD prime time stations over the air ...... Who needs a TV with a PVR and a cable or SAT bill going up every other month ?

And you can task your fun to a separate window, in Leopard, while doing some real damage to your homework etc. on the rest of the vast, beautiful real estate

Of course, you must not attempt to toss the 30" iMac into a back pack and hop on your bicycle to pedal around San Francisco to your girl friend's studio apartment with all the ceiling pipes and huge ceiling windows.

--- gooddog
  • Reply 87 of 141
    kurtzkurtz Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

WWDC will likely be 90% Leopard, and 10% "3rd party apps for iPhone?". One can hope for a hardware bolt from the blue (subnotebook?), but I ain't holdin' my breath..

That sounds likely, except ... if they have been working on a subnotebook / ultraportable wouldn't SJ want to spend more than a few minutes explaining the rationale for it and showing off its features (e.g. the amount of time he spent on the iPhone at MW ... 6 months before release)?????

Just a thought.
  • Reply 88 of 141
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The only thing that's stopping me spec'ing 24" iMacs for a graphic design studio is the ridiculous 3GB memory ceiling. That's just not enough.

4GB isn't ideal either, but at a push, it'll do for the next 18-24 months.
  • Reply 89 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post

That sounds likely, except ... if they have been working on a subnotebook / ultraportable wouldn't SJ want to spend more than a few minutes explaining the rationale for it and showing off its features (e.g. the amount of time he spent on the iPhone at MW ... 6 months before release)?????

Subnotebook would be important, sure, but its not the 'once or twice in a decade' game-changer* the iPhone is, and thus would not warrant an hour plus of keynote time the way the iPhone did. The iPhone is probably the most hyped Mac product since the OS X launch back in 2001 (as even the iPod took a long time to become a hit).

In any case, don't take me too literally. I think the chances of a subnotebook appearing at WWDC are remote, it was just an example of a 'surprise' hardware announcement. \

(* exception: Unless of course it was actually a new breed of device, bridging the space between smartphones and laptops... kind of like UMPC done right. Again, just thinking out loud, don't take it too seriously.)

• Reply 90 of 141
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    so what does everyone think to just santa rosa imac update at WWDC? i would be happy with that. they can't possibly delay more?!! the mb & mbps were updated pretty "silently", so if we start to get off the idea of radically updated imacs right now then there's no reason they couldn't just let them go next week. is there?
  • Reply 91 of 141
    I think they will space out the release by a couple of weeks just like they did between the MacBooks and MacBook Pro's.
  • Reply 92 of 141
    kschererkscherer Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

so what does everyone think to just santa rosa imac update at WWDC? i would be happy with that.

I think that will happen. There is little evidence of anything else.
  • Reply 93 of 141
    Looks like ThinkSecret disagrees with AppleInsider over this. I guess we'll see who has better sources. They're both pretty reliable sites, but I hope TS is right because I really want to buy a new and redesigned iMac this month.
  • Reply 94 of 141
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Here is the TS version of the story. Let's see who wins.
  • Reply 95 of 141
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    ThinkSecret is not accurate these days. Will this rumor put TS back in the game?
  • Reply 96 of 141
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Looks like ThinkSecret disagrees with AppleInsider over this. I guess we'll see who has better sources. They're both pretty reliable sites, but I hope TS is right because I really want to buy a new and redesigned iMac this month.

Yeah, ThinkSecret!!! I read AI a lot more but I'm really pushing for TS on this one. I do hope (if there's a new model) that the price will be about $1000 with edu discount on the low end.

(P.S.: TS is also a bit more confident than AI's report, which seems more based on circumstantial evidence. It could very well be an "unveil today, shipping in a month"-type deal)

...please?
  • Reply 97 of 141
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    erhmmm.... pretty please?
  • Reply 98 of 141
    bostonmhbostonmh Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"There's no compelling rationale for [Apple] to pre-announce new iMacs months in advance of availability," said another contact familiar with Cupertino-based Mac maker's consumer product strategy. "The current iMacs appear to have some life left in them."

The Current Mac 's are 10 Months old, they need a new case design, better graphic, larger HD, etc.... Apple should update they products every 6-7 month.
  • Reply 99 of 141
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

ThinkSecret is not accurate these days.

No, it is not. We will see next week.

I guess Steve himself ordered contradicting leaks to both directions just for fun. I am sure this must be one of his most entertaining moments.
  • Reply 100 of 141
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I guess Steve himself ordered contradicting leaks to both directions

Yeah and we all know what happens when we have contradicting leaks. Everybody gets pissed on, I mean off, or both.

I'm with TS on this one, the wording sounds like they know something, otherwise they would say unconfirmed reports suggest...

A brushed metal iMac (with no chin), Santa Rosa, the new GPU and a reduced price would be awesome.