iPhone: Safari ad, unofficial hands-on, anti-interference patent

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Would people really be that confused if the advert had used the word "web" instead of "internet" At least that way we wouldn't have a technology company issuing false advertising and mis-using technical terms. I of course accept that this is not the end of the world.
  • Reply 62 of 150
    Screw this... I'm done with this pointless argument. Now excuse me while I go smoke a fag while finishing off some faggots...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicknam...United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29
  • Reply 63 of 150
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Apple just posted the new ad on its website. Here it is: http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad4/
  • Reply 64 of 150
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Actually, in my opinion, the fact that people don't know the difference is perfect excuse to use the word 'internet' in place of 'web."

These commercials have one goal and one goal only: to sell as many iPhones as they possibly can. If, by changing one word to make it easier for the vast majority of potential buyers to understand, they piss off some uber-techies, and then sell millions of phones - I don't think they'll have any remorse, and rightfully so.

EXACTLY!
  • Reply 65 of 150
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Internet is correctly spelt in upper case.

The Internet is correctly spelled in uppercase. The colloquial definition of the term "internet" (that is synonymous to the World Wide Web) and widely used by the 99% of the consumers out there who aren't techies doesn't require uppercase.

But whatever. I don't think SurfRat could have said it better. I'm going to second Bageljoey here:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

EXACTLY!

• Reply 66 of 150
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Would people really be that confused if the advert had used the word "web" instead of "internet" At least that way we wouldn't have a technology company issuing false advertising and mis-using technical terms. I of course accept that this is not the end of the world.

The FTC defines false advertisement as "unfair and deceptive acts or practices in commerce."

I don't think there's anyone here that argue the ad is deceitful in any way.

.00001% of the population might see it and say, "WTF THEIR TOTALLY EFFING WRONG THOSE BASTARD IDIOTS." However everyone else will have the intended response, "Hey sweet! The iPhone has the real internet; that rules over my Treo," and then go buy one.

Apple - 1

Nerds with way too much useless brain power - 0
  • Reply 67 of 150
    lodenmuselodenmuse Posts: 14member
    CUPERTINO, California--June 6, 2007--Apple, Inc. today filed a trademark for the "wwwPhone."

• Reply 68 of 150
    Well I guess at last I've found a thread I can link to, when next someone announces that because THEY don't want to buy a piece of apple hardware/software, that no-one else will.

The common man J6P or whatever you want to call them would NOT get into this sort of disscussion AT ALL, unless of course it involved beer or football.

This thread is a wonderful illustration of how small minded and CLOSED "Macheads" actually are.

Now please STOP!

Do you call coffee beans "coffee beans" Mr. H? yes or no?
  • Reply 69 of 150
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    /dev/null
  • Reply 70 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Do you call coffee beans "coffee beans" Mr. H? yes or no?

lol
  • Reply 71 of 150
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

How lovely. Thanks for that. I see you provide no actual explanation for this.

Do you deny that the internet and the web are two different things?

Do you deny that newspapers and roads are two different things?

Do you deny that the web is an information source?

Do you deny that newspapers are an information source?

Do you deny that the internet is a network?

Do you deny that roads form a network?

In order for the web to get to you, information travels over a network - the internet. In order for a newspaper to get to you, information travels over a network - the road network. You can even take it further and have trucks being the equivalent of HTTP.

Now sure, the analogy isn't perfect. But I think it actually does a pretty good job of translating something that causes most people to glaze-over into something they can relate to and understand.

I seconded the motion because you are, to be blunt, irritating. Your incessant nitpicking over niggling details inspires another simile. You are like a tick with Lyme disease.
  • Reply 72 of 150
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    A rather unusual set of posts!

Basically Apple is not advertising to Mac fans - they know all about the iPhone from the Mac sites. Other geeks know about from their favorite sites. All know about the difference between the www and the internet - just as they already know about the iPhone.

The adds are directed towards consumers who don't know or care about www. In the US there is no need to type "www" to go to a site and "little rich princes" calls it the internet and will be the one having her father buy one for her.

Apple writes pretty good ads for their target market and the internet ad is spot on in my opinion.
  • Reply 73 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Ah wilco, you just keep the constructive posts coming, don't you?

For a leading technology company such as Apple to describe the world-wide-web as "the internet" is very poor. Where is Apple's "attention to detail"?

I consider myself to be fairly sophisticated about these things, and I never refer to it as the world wide web. Or even as the web. Who does?

It's so '90's.

It's the internet.

Or sometimes, just the net.
  • Reply 74 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I consider myself to be fairly sophisticated about these things, and I never refer it to the world wide web. Or even as the web. Who does?

It's so '90's.

It's the internet.

You speak the truth.

Why do people have to be so anal sometimes?
  • Reply 75 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Newspapers are delivered using roads

Not if you subscribe to them on the INTERNET.

Then you don't need to paper version at all.

The analogy fails.
  • Reply 76 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

Wait!!!

Didn't Al Gore invent the internet???!!! that would have made him, like, 8 or 9 years old when he invented it!!

No wonder so many people think he's so intelligent.

Unlike your remark.
  • Reply 77 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wojciechowski View Post

Screw this... I'm done with this pointless argument. Now excuse me while I go smoke a fag while finishing off some faggots...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicknam...United_Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28food%29

I hope that by "faggots" you're talking about burning some wood in your fireplace.
  • Reply 78 of 150
    Quote:

I consider myself to be fairly sophisticated about these things, and I never refer it to the world wide web. Or even as the web. Who does?

It's so '90's.

It's the internet.

Vindication! But where where you for the first 50 posts when we were pinned down by misguided road analogies?

It actually got so innane I stopped looking at the internet and went to read a road...
  • Reply 79 of 150
    Quote:

I hope that by "faggots" you're talking about burning some wood in your fireplace.

Did you notice the links?
  • Reply 80 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Vindication! But where where you for the first 50 posts when we were pinned down by misguided road analogies?

It actually got so innane I stopped looking at the internet and went to read a road...

Building something for a friend of mine in my metalworking shop downstairs.