iPhone: Safari ad, unofficial hands-on, anti-interference patent

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Did you notice the links?

Yes, but I *really* didn't want to read them, as I was afraid that they were just more useless internet/web argument links.

Ok, I just read them. Fags is well known. I've always known that was a cig.

But, faggot also means log.

As in:

"Throw another faggot onto the fire."
  • Reply 82 of 150
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    The iPhone is a series of tubes! You can be like Mario and go through them if you buy it!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

No but seriously. Who cares. Whatever makes money. People bend the truth to do that all the time. No big deal.
  • Reply 83 of 150
    Speaking of False Advertisting....

The Calamari ad is full of sh*t.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad3/

The guy searches for seafood. Pacific Catch comes up and he chooses it. But there is NO Calamari on their menu.

http://www.pacificcatch.com/menu.html

I want heads to roll over this error. I am not buying an iPhone now. I want calamari, not the Crispy Oyster & Chips Basket. If Apple advertises that they will get you some calamari, then they should have the phone dial to a restaurant that will get you some calamari. Second of all, from the internet page it looks like they don't deliver. I'm busy watching the Pirates of the Caribbean on my iPhone. I want that food delivered to me. Especially since I have recently gained so much weight from living on my couch with my iPhone, a mini-fridge, and a bucket for urine and feces.

I just wonder if the calamari represents this webpage and the bucket of sh*t represents this thread.
  • Reply 84 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member

• Reply 85 of 150
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Actually, Apple is quite smart in all of this.

We have seen four ads. Very cool ads.

In one ad it is called the "web". In another ad it is called the "internet'.

They have appealed to (or disheveled - in the case of a few here) virtually everyone who cares, and a few who don't.

I am quite sure that the word web was deliberately chosen for one ad, and the word internet was deliberately chosen for the other. Between the four ads, people are going to get the idea what they can do with the phone, and are not going to really give two hoots about the terminology.

When they use two fingers to expand a picture, are they going to say "Multi-touch" every time? I doubt it.

When they push the "button" to go to "insert favorite word for browsing here", they aren't even going to say the word in their head, they are just going to head for their favorite place to go, which just might be Apple Insider, or GameSpot, or The New York Times, or wherever. I doubt they are even going to have any of the technical terms cross their minds.

And, while we're at it, if the phone only rings, are you really "answering" it?

Has it asked you a question?

ROFLMAO!!!

Kids, Apple hasn't done any false advertising. They've spoken to the people in the vernacular that the people who are going to possibly buy the phone use every day.

They are speaking THEIR LANGUAGE!

False advertising? Give me a break!!!

Greg
  • Reply 86 of 150
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Saying that the web is the internet is like saying that HBO IS cable tv; you leave room for nothing else!

actually, to further your analogy, if someone were watching "the sopranos" on television, they could easily say "i'm watching cable." which is accurate. if they instead said "i'm watching hbo." it's also accurate but more precise. neither of them is inaccurate though. saying you're accessing the "internet" through safari is not exactly inaccurate. considering most unsavvy windows users use IE as their ftp client, the line is further blurred. i've directed clients to ftp sites using a link they open in IE. to them, IE and the web are the internet.
  • Reply 87 of 150

• Reply 88 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

it's still not as bad as MOD EDIT: Let's not send people there, okay?
  • Reply 89 of 150
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Language is what it is, usage is what it is. The web is exactly what most people call it, railing against "improper" usage from a technical standpoint is futile and pointless.

People call it the internet, the internet it is. That horse has most decidedly left the barn.

Does anybody get excited when we speak of the "press", to mean any form of journalism, when it apparently only means the kind that comes off a printing press?
  • Reply 90 of 150
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Anywho, just read on TUAW that the latest ad doesn't include the "requires 2 year agreement" fine print.

And as if that wasn't intriguing enough, the earlier ads posted at Apple have had that bit removed, as well (they had it before).

Clearly, this stuff is still being hashed out! Sort of amazingly, at this late date.
  • Reply 91 of 150
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not if you subscribe to them on the INTERNET.

Then you don't need to paper version at all.

The analogy fails.

Well, you need both:

The Internet to get the news as it happens.

The newspaper to get the in depth news.

The newspaper is also a very usefull tool to attract charming girls on the road leaning over your shoulder to read your newspaper
  • Reply 92 of 150
    Quote:

Saying that the web is the internet is like saying that HBO IS cable tv; you leave room for nothing else!

To the optimist, the glass is half full.

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
  • Reply 93 of 150
    Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body. One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints." Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections. " The last one said, "No, actually it had to have been a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"
  • Reply 94 of 150
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Unlike your remark.

Lighten up Francis!!

Just trying to lighten the mood in this thread a little. Please take notice of the and .
  • Reply 95 of 150
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Who gives a crap?! The ads work. Yes I do agree that data parsed by a web browser is a far cry from being 'The Internet', but it doesn't bother me that Apple used the term to describe what the iPhone was doing. The iPhone is being pitched to everyone, geeks like us, trendy iPod mixing DJs, the Donald Trumps of this world and your parents. I think that most people out side of the tech world do refer to the Word Wide Web as 'The Internet'. I know most of my friends do.
  • Reply 96 of 150
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body. One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints." Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections. " The last one said, "No, actually it had to have been a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"

I like that!
  • Reply 97 of 150
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:

JESUS APPLE, the Web is NOT the internet, it utilizes the internet, this is the most annoying misconseption that exists in the technology age: as a corprate PC tech, there is nothing more frustrating than getting a call saying "I broke the internet" when IE (or FF or Safari) crashes

lol. your response "hm, it could take a while. It's a series of tubes y'know"
  • Reply 98 of 150
    project2501project2501 Posts: 433member
    This has to be most stupid thread ever, especially all those Internet vs. Web comments. What they call it is complitely irrelevant, most people won't understand it anyways. If they wanted to be tecnically correct, they should have said that iPhone renders html and xhtml pages better than other phones. Internet and Web are both abstract entities, so you posibly couldn't have seen them previously anyways, and won't be seeing with iPhone either.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Tiger Woods is a "type" of living thing. The Earth is a "type" of object. The WWW is not a "type" of internet, or a type of network.

I would hate to know what level of b*tching goes on at your house when the Miss Universe pageant or an episode of American Idol airs. How can they call it the Miss Universe when it doesn't even represent all of Earth, let alone all our own solar system. Clearly no where to close to the universe. And American Idol? Which America? South America? North America? United States of America?

Get a life. I'm going to get back to browsing the internet.
  • Reply 100 of 150