MBP - student discount/credit/apple store london

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there I'm considering buying a MacBook pro with my student discount. I also want to get with one of the credit deals, eg - where you pay £50 a month or whatever for it.

Would it be easier to do this online or if I'm in London on Wednesday pick one up then?

So basically what I'm asking is...

Do you think they'll have any in stock?

Can you use the student discount is Apple stores?

Can you get them with the credit pay monthly option in Apple Stores?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    yes, but surely i'd get it much quicker if i just walked into the store on monday? all i want to know really is if you can get edu discount and credit in the retail stores?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    What kind of student are you?

If you're in higher education, use a computer your University's network to log in to Apple's higher-education online store. Not only are the discounts even larger than the "standard" education discounts, but you also get a 3 year warranty for free.

The higher education store is accessed by going to www.apple.com/ukstore, then clicking the "savings for students, faculty and staff" link on the right, and then clicking on the "Apple Store for Higher Education" link.

The higher-education deals are only available online. The bricks-and-mortar Apple store will not be able to match the price or give you the free 3 year warranty.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    they do a 3year free warranty too? never knew that. is that apple care add-on...but included in the price? thats handy
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

they do a 3year free warranty too? never knew that. is that apple care add-on...but included in the price? thats handy

It isn't full AppleCare. AppleCare includes three years of telephone support, which isn't included in the Higher Education deal. You can upgrade to full AppleCare for a fairly reasonable price if you really want the phone support too.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    ah, so its support as in take it along to an apple shop/type place and they sort it out for you deal. not bad if its for free, and a pay a bit more for phone support too...not all that bad I guess
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

ah, so its support as in take it along to an apple shop/type place and they sort it out for you deal. not bad if its for free, and a pay a bit more for phone support too...not all that bad I guess

No, you can still phone them and say "hey, my machine is broken, please send me a box to get it fixed".

AppleCare phone support includes trouble-shooting like phoning Apple and saying "Hi, how do I get iMovie to work?"
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ah right, so one is a return and fix the other's a talk-me-through...then a return and fix when you can't do it youself!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    kman79kman79 Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What kind of student are you?

If you're in higher education, use a computer your University's network to log in to Apple's higher-education online store. Not only are the discounts even larger than the "standard" education discounts, but you also get a 3 year warranty for free.

So the discount you get for Higher Education is more than the $200.00 that apple offers by clicking on the educational discount link on their site? I go to school at a College in North Houston, is there a specific link I need to go to in order to receive the better education discount? Does the school have to sign up for this particular program that you are talking about? I appologize for my ignorance, I'm just trying to get the best deal I can get, college is not cheap Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Edit: Nevermind
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kman79 View Post

So the discount you get for Higher Education is more than the $200.00 that apple offers by clicking on the educational discount link on their site? I go to school at a College in North Houston, is there a specific link I need to go to in order to receive the better education discount? Does the school have to sign up for this particular program that you are talking about? I appologize for my ignorance, I'm just trying to get the best deal I can get, college is not cheap Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Kman, my reply was aimed at the original poster, who is from the U.K. The deal I was talking about is U.K. specific. The arrangements in the U.S. are different.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    kman79kman79 Posts: 12member
    AAhhh....thanks for the reply. I guess it was just wishful thinking in my part.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    arraangements for US are always different. they get free stuff (iPods etc) whilst we pay almost double for the same gear. I wonder which economy we're boosting...!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

arraangements for US are always different. they get free stuff (iPods etc) whilst we pay almost double for the same gear. I wonder which economy we're boosting...!

If you're talking specifically Apple, they don't charge "almost double", sure, they could do better, but don't forget about VAT. American prices are advertised without sales tax (as the sales tax varies state-to-state).

Take, for example the latest MacBook Pro. The U.S. price for the entry-level is $1999. At the current exchange rate, Apple can probably get about 1.94 dollars to the pound.

So, $1999 would be £1030.41. Add 17.5% VAT and you get £1210.73. Apple actually charge £1299. Doesn't seem too bad to me; it's certainly not double by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ah right, forgot sales tax...I stand corrected.