iPhone: Safari ad, unofficial hands-on, anti-interference patent

Comments

• Reply 101 of 150
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    You IT guys need to get a clue or I really hope you're kidding. Apple is smarter than you. They know what they are doing. They don't care what you think. They didn't make those ads for you. Let's move on. Besides, Al Gore is on the board and he created the Internet/Web, right? Stop dissecting the ads and just enjoy them. They are the best ads Apple's done in a long time.
  • Reply 102 of 150
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Removed heads-up image
  • Reply 103 of 150
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Thanks for the persecution everyone, I really appreciate it
  • Reply 104 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    In an attempt to improve the environment of this sucky thread, I give you the following.

• Reply 105 of 150
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

You IT guys need to get a clue or I really hope you're kidding. Apple is smarter than you. They know what they are doing. They don't care what you think. They didn't make those ads for you. Let's move on. Besides, Al Gore is on the board and he created the Internet/Web, right? Stop dissecting the ads and just enjoy them. They are the best ads Apple's done in a long time.

I agree. This is a great ad.

For one, I don't say and I can't even recall the last time that I heard somebody else say, "I am on the Web," or "I'll check or go on the Web for the address."

In addition, if you were to change the word "internet" to "Web" in this ad, it wouldn't seem, feel or be right.

And worse yet, Apple would have to call it the wPhone and that would totally wrong, and confusing as hell.
  • Reply 106 of 150
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I don't think that was the goal. Sorry if you feel that way. Apple's only job is to sell stuff and make money. They are not here to educate the public. I'm a professional naturalist and I can't tell you how many misconceptions people have about the natural world and their local environment. It's the same thing with IT. Most people don't know or care about the details as long as it works. You know what that's called? Job security when they screw it up. Like I said we should just be happy Apple is showing ads that say something not just a spining iPhone.
  • Reply 107 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

In an attempt to improve the environment of this sucky thread, I give you the following.

Excellent. Ever been here? I thought there was a video too, but now I can't find it
  • Reply 108 of 150
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I consider myself to be fairly sophisticated about these things, and I never refer to it as the world wide web. Or even as the web. Who does?

It's so '90's.

It's the internet.

Or sometimes, just the net.

Agreed. Apple has done this before as well. "iPod: Mac + PC" is not to say that a Mac is not a Personal Computer, or that PCs are the only Personal Computers. The public has its own definitions of certain terms and it is not necessarily Apple's place to correct them.

If charged by the letter, can you imagine how much advertising money would be wasted on a crusade to educate the public or if Apple had to be politically correct (another PC word - yikes!) and write "iPod: Personal Computers that run the Macintosh Operating System + Personal Computers that run the Windows Operating System"

Hope I didn't just start another war. . . .
  • Reply 109 of 150
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stangmatt66 View Post

Man, I wish Apple's mac commercials were this direct and descriptive. I've had enough with the PC vs. Mac commercials. I need some substance.

My gut reaction was, wait for Leopard. And I trust my gut.
  • Reply 110 of 150
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    It?s hardly the same as calling a newspaper a road. It?s more like calling a newspaper ?the media?. A road is entirely different from a newspaper, whereas the web is a service available on the Internet; the web and Internet are much more related than a road and a newspaper. I agree, the terms should not be used synonymously, but the original comparison was a little naïve.
  • Reply 111 of 150
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

My gut reaction was, wait for Leopard. And I trust my gut.

I agree with you 99% (the 1% just in case we're wrong). The Mac/PC ads currently running are merely PC detractors. They are meant to curb excitement over Vista (is there any?) and get a laugh as MS' expense.

The new breed of Mac ads will (hopefully) change gears a bit.
  • Reply 112 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member

• Reply 113 of 150
    Quote:

I thought there was a video too, but now I can't find it

Ah ha! Here it is: You Tube video.
  • Reply 114 of 150
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

You reap what you sow.
  • Reply 115 of 150
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryukyu View Post

Lighten up Francis!!

Just trying to lighten the mood in this thread a little. Please take notice of the and .

It's still a so called political joke, which we don't need, even if you give yourself a cartoon name.
  • Reply 116 of 150
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Well, maybe if you hadn't come in guns blazing about how awful it was that apple used the concise, one-word "internet" instead of cumbersome elmer-fud phrase "world wide web" followed by vociferously denouncing those who said "who the hell cares?

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Just saying.....
  • Reply 117 of 150
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Yaaaawn.

I think, overall, people are getting a bit ants-y. (I've noticed the same phenomenon previously, on AI, in the days leading up to a major Apple event and/or new product introduction).
  • Reply 118 of 150
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

To the optimist, the glass is half full.

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Now that is funny. I love it.
  • Reply 119 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Three engineering students were gathered together discussing the possible designers of the human body. One said, "It was a mechanical engineer. Just look at all the joints." Another said, "No, it was an electrical engineer. The nervous system has many thousands of electrical connections. " The last one said, "No, actually it had to have been a civil engineer. Who else would run a toxic waste pipeline through a recreational area?"

• Reply 120 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

They just don't make these --> <-- big enough for this picture!