Best place to buy XP

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know this is a horrible question, but my brother will be getting a macbook soon, and possibly get Parallels for it too. He's currently on a laptop running Windows 98. So, does anyone know where the best place is to buy a *legit* copy of Windows XP?

I saw XP Home SP2 on Amazon used for 109 bucks, but that just seems insane since XP is an old OS now, even though Vista is a flop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Ebay is probably your best bet. I got a copy quite cheap and the code that came with it was legit (all the updates work) and it was boxed. It was about £30 ($60). I found this one but it doesn't come with a key:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROSOFT-WIND...QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay keys might not be unique of course as you can actually use the same key more than once so maybe that's how some people can keep the price low.

If you know anyone with a PC that has XP Pro, you can always use their key.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    find a student and have them buy it for you, at a local university students are buying xp for $10 from the university
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

find a student and have them buy it for you, at a local university students are buying xp for $10 from the university

Where and how exactly would I go about doing this? I'm heading to school this coming August and wanted to buy XP (for bootcamp). Could be a stupid question...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

Where and how exactly would I go about doing this? I'm heading to school this coming August and wanted to buy XP (for bootcamp). Could be a stupid question...

I'm a student, but buying it for my brother with my discount is not what I would call "legit". As for your question, at my university I get XP for free since I'm in IT. I just have to have an instructor sign off on it. I can download it for free, or pay to have a CD sent.

However, I'm pretty sure that ordinary students don't get that kind of a discount.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I'm a student, but buying it for my brother with my discount is not what I would call "legit". As for your question, at my university I get XP for free since I'm in IT. I just have to have an instructor sign off on it. I can download it for free, or pay to have a CD sent.

However, I'm pretty sure that ordinary students don't get that kind of a discount.

Yeah, I agree with your opinion about that being "legit." I did find where I can purchase microsoft software at a discount. I get office 2004 for mac for like... under $70, and I couldn't delve far enough into the site to check XP prices because I'm not enrolled in classes yet. Hmm... I'm going into Comp Engineering... think there will be benefits?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

Yeah, I agree with your opinion about that being "legit." I did find where I can purchase microsoft software at a discount. I get office 2004 for mac for like... under $70, and I couldn't delve far enough into the site to check XP prices because I'm not enrolled in classes yet. Hmm... I'm going into Comp Engineering... think there will be benefits?

Yeah probably. I don't see why not.

The best place to look for discounts like that is http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ However, XP doesn't seem to be discounted at all!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Yeah probably. I don't see why not.

The best place to look for discounts like that is http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ However, XP doesn't seem to be discounted at all!

Woohoo! I contacted one of my profs (at least at this point in time), and he said that if I'm enrolled in the engineering school, which i most definitely am, I can download XP Pro and Vista Pro (insert Vista putdown here) for free! I'm glad you brought that whole thing up. Thanks so much!