Apple iPhone ads shed disclaimer, show Flash support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Several readers noted late Wednesday that Apple has removed a disclaimer from its new series of iPhone ads regarding contract requirements. Meanwhile, the latest ad for the Apple handset suggests Adobe Flash support has may be a done deal.

When Apple launched a trio of iPhone ads earlier in the week, each included a disclaimer that read: "Use requires minimum new 2 year activation plan." However, a fourth spot added to the mix on Wednesday omitted the warning and Apple subsequently removed the note from all previous iPhone spots.

At the same time, readers also noted that the latest ad, which promotes an embedded version of Apple's Safari web browser, shows a Adobe Flash clip rendering properly on the New York Times website.

Although the Flash clip cannot be seen running in the ad, the fact that it renders has led to speculation that Apple will manage to include support for digital media format at the time of iPhone's launch.

Before

After

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Before (photo removed) After (photo removed)

FAKE!!!!!!!!

I can clearly see the brush strokes where you tried to black out the wording...

FAKE!!!!!!!

Trust me, I'm a *pro* at spotting this stuff!

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 37
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At the same time, readers also noted that the latest ad, which promotes an embedded version of Apple's Safari web browser, shows a Adobe Flash clip rendering properly on the New York Times website.

Although the Flash clip cannot be seen running in the ad, the fact that it renders has led to speculation that Apple will manage to include support for digital media format at the time of iPhones launch.

Before

After

Well, hopefully Flash is in the iPhone. The computer at work doesn't have Flash installed (nor is it allowed) and it effectively makes many sites unusable. On the plus side, it does also prevent a fair number of ads from appearing as well. But if the iPhone is truly supposed to be a mobile web device, it needs Flash.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    I can't wait for pop up ads when I get my iPhone...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Including flash support would be a very wise decision for Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Well, hopefully Flash is in the iPhone. The computer at work doesn't have Flash installed (nor is it allowed) and it effectively makes many sites unusable. On the plus side, it does also prevent a fair number of ads from appearing as well. But if the iPhone is truly supposed to be a mobile web device, it needs Flash.

It also needs a good way to block it.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

FAKE!!!!!!!!

Na, they're just smudges on your screen!

• Reply 7 of 37
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Speaking of Flash ads, looks like AppleInsider has a whooooole bunch these days
  • Reply 8 of 37
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    "Apple iPhone ads shed disclaimer"

Did anyone else read this to mean that iPhone now includes a disclaimer about storage sheds?
  • Reply 9 of 37
    crhain88crhain88 Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

FAKE!!!!!!!!

FAKE!!!!!!!

Trust me, I'm a *pro* at spotting this stuff!

Dave

I went to go talk to cingular to see what they need when buying a new phone to ensure no hiccups. I know verizon, you're name has to be on the bill or you can't buy a phone and I wanted to make sure cingular wasn't like this, otherwise I'd need to have my mom add me to it.

The guy at the counter said something along the lines of last 6 months of contract? When I said I was cingular, he mentioned that he was hearing that "they" are saying that there isn't a two year contract.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Adobe Flash support has may be a done deal.

Remove the word "has" please.

And PLEASE proofread...half of my comments are directed towards correcting your articles.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 11 of 37
    i hate to possibly burst everybodys bubble. i am an interactive art director and work on flash banners all the time. all websites require a backup GIF or JPEG for people that have bowsers that dont have flash installed. so just because it looks like flash is showing up, it could be the site serving up the default GIF because the safari iphone browser does not have flash. SORRY.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    smqtsmqt Posts: 28member
    It would be kinda sorta stupid to announce that you get the REAL internet, and then kinda sorta not support Flash. :P
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Remove the word "has" please.

And PLEASE proofread...half of my comments are directed towards correcting your articles.

-=|Mgkwho

Get over it. I've tried this approach already, they don't care.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Flash is no big loss. I block it almost completely on every computer I own. If a site insists on it, then I don't need to use that site. Including Flash on the iPhone without an easy way to block it would be huge turn-off: waste of CPU, waste of bandwidth, popups, etc.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    More grammar police...

Quote:

...shows a Adobe Flash clip rendering properly ...

Tsk, tsk
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Did anyone else read this to mean that iPhone now includes a disclaimer about storage sheds?

• Reply 17 of 37
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Remove the word "has" please. and PLEASE proofread...half of my comments are directed towards correcting your articles.

And one would imagine that the other half of your posts are to defend yourself against people calling you the grammar police.

D
  • Reply 18 of 37
    nufasenufase Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

wouldn't it be "Apple iPhone *adds* shed disclaimer" if that were the case?

I know you were probably just trying to be funny however, mis-reading titles isn't funny, it just makes you look foolish.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    josh59xjosh59x Posts: 2member
    The New York Times image that keeps on getting used in the iPhone ads is from October 2006. Probably a static image, not real running inside the Safari browser
  • Reply 20 of 37
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Flash is no big loss. I block it almost completely on every computer I own. If a site insists on it, then I don't need to use that site. Including Flash on the iPhone without an easy way to block it would be huge turn-off: waste of CPU, waste of bandwidth, popups, etc.

You must live an exciting life!