AT&T hiring temps to control iPhone crowds at retail stores

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Exclusive: Wireless carrier AT&T is taking no chances when it comes this month's Apple iPhone launch and is hiring temporary staff to manage, attend to, and control crowds at many of its 1800 retail stores nationwide.

One person familiar with the matter tells AppleInsider that he was originally recruited to fill one of the positions through an temp agency that was in contact with his college's career center.

"I was hired by AT&T to a Product Pro position for the summer," said the source. "However, it is not my job to sell the iPhone, but rather simply control the crowds."

Temp AT&T employees will reportedly be tasked with a few other duties, such as greeting customers, funneling the flow of non-iPhone traffic, and handling minor technical support issues. Their tenure will span early June through early August.

"It's estimated that the launch will hit us hard," the source said. "I will be making sure that waiting customers don't get angry."

Apple and AT&T retail locations are expecting a tremendous turnout come the June 29th iPhone launch, partly due to an Apple-stated policy that mandates the device be sold on a first come, first served basis.

Apple is actively enforcing the policy, said the source, who notes that even chief executive Steve Jobs is doing his part to assure everyone has a fair shot at iPhone come the final Friday of the month.

When Jobs learned that some AT&T stores had begun compiling unofficial waiting lists, he fired off a personal email to store managers informing them that this was a no-no.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    "Control crowds?" Are they going to use fire hoses and dogs?
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Probably.

Speaking of iPhones, I'll trade someone an 80gig iPod, an unlocked Blackberry Pearl and some cash for one when they're released. Stupid Canada.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Geez, I hope that doesn't mean I won't be able to get myself on the local managers list anymore. Stupid Jobs.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    It might actually be easier to stay up the night before and order one when they are available on the Apple on-line store. Don't know if that will be one minute after midnight (EDT?) or sometime in the wee hours of the morning, but at least you'll be comfortable, have all the coffee you want and have a bathroom close to rid yourself of the coffee.

If I was buying one the first month I would stick to the on-line store as the Apple & ATT Stores will be chaos - and probably sold out by the time I got to the head of the line.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Probably.

Speaking of iPhones, I'll trade someone an 80gig iPod, an unlocked Blackberry Pearl and some cash for one when they're released. Stupid Canada.

I'm almost certain I won't be able to get one in my state (no AT&T).
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Geez, I hope that doesn't mean I won't be able to get myself on the local managers list anymore. Stupid Jobs.

More like "Super cool and smart Jobs!" If waiting lists existed, there would be way too much potential for abuse and corruption via shady managers giving choice spots to their friends, etc. Steve is being admirably equitable, IMHO.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Hey, there are a bunch of out of work L.A. cops that are available. Just keep illegal immigrants out of their striking distance. \
  • Reply 8 of 45
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    The hype is getting so hot that it's turning into a sort of exponential-hype mode; which in turn, if not kept under control, could turn into black-hole hype, which would then suck all matter into another dimension, probably into the dreaded Jobs Reality Distortion Field.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    Did I miss something or does AppleInsider have an artist now?
  • Reply 10 of 45
    artseartse Posts: 27member
    Frankly, I think it is Jobs just trying to make a bigger spectacle...
  • Reply 11 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

Pink Zunes. People will run screaming.

I imagine we will see the whole mugging, killing deal with the iphone just like we did with the consoles.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    nmcphersnmcphers Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

The hype is getting so hot that it's turning into a sort of exponential-hype mode; which in turn, if not kept under control, could turn into black-hole hype, which would then suck all matter into another dimension, probably into the dreaded Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

There is nothing stronger than Apple product hype (exponential-hype mode, black-hole hype, whatever you call it). Jobs Reality Distortion Field is strong and can initiate hype, but not stronger than hype. My whole point is your physics is a little off and JRDF cannot exist within a black-hole hype.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Exclusive: Wireless carrier AT&T is taking no chances when it comes this month's Apple iPhone launch and is hiring temporary staff to manage, attend to, and control crowds at many of its 1800 retail stores nationwide.

Lets hope they don't make the same mistake the Rolling Stones did when they went out to hire extra security.

Hmmm I was going to find some crazy site to link to but lets see if anyone else here old enough to know what I'm talking about?! Oh and yes, it is cheating if you simply use google to find the answer...

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 45
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Lets hope they don't make the same mistake the Rolling Stones did when they went out to hire extra security.

Hmmm I was going to find some crazy site to link to but lets see if anyone else here old enough to know what I'm talking about?! Oh and yes, it is cheating if you simply use google to find the answer...

Dave

I'm old enough to have read about the Angels/Stones incident.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    They issued me a nightstick and some pepper spray. Look forward to seeing everyone June 29! Don't take anything personally, what happens on iPhone Release Day stays on iPhone Release Day!
  • Reply 16 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

Probably.

Why? You won't be able to use it anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I can't see Jobs writing to ATT store managers, even with a form letter.

What ATT does is none of Apple's business. If Apple won't take customer lists, that's one thing, but ATT is another company, and I can't see why Jobs would even care.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why? You won't be able to use it anyway.

I trust that unlocking will happen quickly (if they aren't sold unlocked). I don't care about visual voicemail for now, though I'm sure Rogers will have that sorted out for their launch.

It'll be a really nice iPod, too.

Can't I just want one?!
  • Reply 19 of 45
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I'm old enough to have read about the Angels/Stones incident.

Close enough...

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 45
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    It doesn't really matter if they're unlocked or not - Apple get to sell a phone, which they aren't going to sell without a contract. So either way, both Apple and AT&T are happy.