Apple introduces Santa Rosa-based MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 201 of 280
    gostangostan Posts: 15member
    Picked up my new MacBook Pro at the Apple Store today.

All I can say so far is that my entire computing experience is enhanced and superior when compared to my old PB G4 1.5.

Yeah!!!
  • Reply 202 of 280
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

Regarding AppleCare on this MBP, it's $240 with the ed. discount. Could I wait, and only buy AppleCare if I have a problem? I can buy the extended warranty anytime within 3 years of purchase right? I could then potentially buy AppleCare sometime in year two, and then send my computer in for problems a few days later?

As auslander said, you have to by it within the first year. However, I think you have the right general idea. I wait until the last minute to buy AppleCare. That way if the computer is stolen or something, I'm not out an additional $250.
  • Reply 203 of 280
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    AppleCare is a must have for a laptop. Just the labor for any laptop repairs kills you. But yeah...wait until the last minute to buy it in case you lose it or sell it.
  • Reply 204 of 280
    I'm kinda a noob on this sort of stuff, but what exactly does AppleCare cover that 3rd party insurance would not and visa versa.? I read some other people posting about if you lost your MBP AppleCare is a waste, but doesn't regular (homeowners I think) insurance cover it if it's stolen/lost? In this case would the AC carry over to a device replaced by insurance? Sorry if this is sort of disjointed, but any input would be helpful.\
  • Reply 205 of 280
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Because the MacBook Pro models are the lightest in their display class!

Let's Make Something Clear: MacBook Pro models are NOT the lightest in their diplay class!

For example ThinkPad t60p has 15'4 with 1680x1050WSXGA+, 9cell battery [with true 5h], Workstation Graphics and weight no more than 2.31 kg. And this is just one example.
  • Reply 206 of 280
    yeah but the thinkpad is stupid price...
  • Reply 207 of 280
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Not to mention the fact that they are fugly as hell!
  • Reply 208 of 280
    well yes, there's that too but really - more than double the price for, essentially, not more than double the performance. plus its got vista (!)
  • Reply 209 of 280
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiato storm View Post

well yes, there's that too but really - more than double the price for, essentially, not more than double the performance. plus its got vista (!)

Hm, the price in Europe is 2500-3000? vs. MBP 2400? [with apple care]. And no, Vista is not there by default, it could be WinXP also. I prefer Linux anyway. Design matters - that's subjective isn't it
  • Reply 210 of 280
    guess I managed to find the most expensive place for a T60p then...(yay me!)...well, still doesn't absolve it for not being pretty
  • Reply 211 of 280
    I'm planning on getting the low end 15.4 MBP with ed discount but do not want to wait several weeks to get it. Anybody successful at getting the ed discount with free nano at an apple store?

thanks
  • Reply 212 of 280
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird03 View Post

I'm planning on getting the low end 15.4 MBP with ed discount but do not want to wait several weeks to get it. Anybody successful at getting the ed discount with free nano at an apple store?

thanks

Why would this be a problem?
  • Reply 213 of 280
    gkorsgardgkorsgard Posts: 31member
    Has anyone gotten the new 2.4ghz 17" MBP yet?
  • Reply 214 of 280
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

I'm kinda a noob on this sort of stuff, but what exactly does AppleCare cover that 3rd party insurance would not and visa versa.? I read some other people posting about if you lost your MBP AppleCare is a waste, but doesn't regular (homeowners I think) insurance cover it if it's stolen/lost? In this case would the AC carry over to a device replaced by insurance? Sorry if this is sort of disjointed, but any input would be helpful.\

Applecare is not a bad bet for a portable. Not at all. I've used it several times over the years. That said, I decided not to get it with this MBP I'm on (2.33 C2D).

I have also used homeowners to cover a machine that was the victim of a water spill. I don't know if AppleaCare covers that...I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Homeowners ususally requires a separate personal computer rider, (sp?) which is generally cheap to get. That way you're covered for loss and theft and "stupid move" damage too.
  • Reply 215 of 280
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I don't get what the point of AppleCare is. They don't cover damage that is your fault. Any inperfections or manufacturing problems would show within the 1yr of complimentary AppleCare. If that isn't enough protection for you, any widespread problems with manufacturing after that time would be subject to a recall where you get it fixed for free.

Boards frying, pinched cables should all happen within a year I think. Me dropping it, snapping a hinge, that is something that might not be covered anyways. I'll save the $250 and buy my own parts and replace what I need. (I know that isn't necessarily possible for everyone because people are afraid to open a computer up.
  • Reply 216 of 280
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post

I don't get what the point of AppleCare is. They don't cover damage that is your fault. Any inperfections or manufacturing problems would show within the 1yr of complimentary AppleCare. If that isn't enough protection for you, any widespread problems with manufacturing after that time would be subject to a recall where you get it fixed for free.

Boards frying, pinched cables should all happen within a year I think. Me dropping it, snapping a hinge, that is something that might not be covered anyways. I'll save the $250 and buy my own parts and replace what I need. (I know that isn't necessarily possible for everyone because people are afraid to open a computer up.

That's my philosophy, too. But there are some kinds of failures that may happen after the first year that AppleCare is useful for: harddrives for example (this is the big reason why it's useful for laptops I think). And sometimes other things happen that aren't subject to a recall.
  • Reply 217 of 280
    zeke_02zeke_02 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbird03 View Post

thanks

You dont have to wait several weeks. I ordered mine on tuesday morning, and the Nano got to my house today, and the MBP is getting here either Saturday or Monday according to the FedEx tracking information Apple sent me. Less than a week total.
  • Reply 218 of 280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

1. Please, please...someone else notice that it's "Pros" not "pro's" AHHHHHHHHHH

If I can save up enough money, I'd like to get two, perhaps even three, MacBooks Pro.

• Reply 219 of 280
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

If I can save up enough money, I'd like to get two, perhaps even three, MacBooks Pro.

That's what 50 cent uses.
  • Reply 220 of 280
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post

Totally incorrect. I had a white spot develop on a PBG4 after 2.5 years. I've gone through several AC Adapters. They even tighten up the screen hinges. Little things can go wrong after a few years that really can add up. I had the power port replaced on my Pismo right before I sold it as it was loose and malfunctioning. That PB I mentioned? they straight up replaced the whole screen. That would have been at least a $400 repair...probably $500.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

That's my philosophy, too. But there are some kinds of failures that may happen after the first year that AppleCare is useful for: harddrives for example (this is the big reason why it's useful for laptops I think). And sometimes other things happen that aren't subject to a recall.

As I said above. Take it from someone that has used AC. Then again, I don't have it now, so yeah. I'm taking my chances though...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Bastard!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's what 50 cent uses.

Keep it real, yo.