Have you ever purchased right before an update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Have you ever purchased an Apple product the day or week before an update was released?

Which product was it? Did you return it? TRY to return it? Lets hear your story.

I've never had it happen, but I talked to a guy that bought software literally the day before a major release and the bottom line was "tough titty said the kitty when the milk ran dry"

Any other experiences out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddAvery View Post

Have you ever purchased an Apple product the day or week before an update was released?

Which product was it? Did you return it? TRY to return it? Lets hear your story.

I've never had it happen, but I talked to a guy that bought software literally the day before a major release and the bottom line was "tough titty said the kitty when the milk ran dry"

I bought a Blue imac about a month before the flower power imacs came out with CD burners. Back then an external burner was expensive, so I was a bit choked. Plus I was one of three people who liked the Flower Power look.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToddAvery View Post

I bought a Mac II a couple weeks before the Mac IIx was released. I'm a little too senile to remember the details though.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

I bought a Mac II a couple weeks before the Mac IIx was released. I'm a little too senile to remember the details though.

Bought a Centris 610 just before Quadra 610 came out.

Bought a G3 just before G4 came out. OS 9 just before OS X came out.

What did I do? A slow boil on the inside, but that's it.

I'm determined not to let happen again.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nollynolly Posts: 5member
    Bought a PowerBook 2 weeks before MacBook Pro,

without any regret, Because of Photoshop not being natively ready for

the new processor before one year after release.

Anyway, I rarely by the first model of a new type. You never know where

the weak points are.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Bought the 840AV just months before the business I bought it from went under, and Apple dropped that model. I still liked it at the time, though.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Bought the IMac G5 in December 2005, as it had been updated in October. 3 weeks later, intel iMac. Fuckers.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    toddaverytoddavery Posts: 12member
    LOL, these are great.

I have not had the "displeasure" of buying early but I feel that it's about to happen with my upcomming MacPro purchase.

Whatever though, if it gets the work done that I need to get done then I guess that's all that really matters.

We've obviously got some old timers in here (NO OFFENSE GUYS). I remember playing Oregon Trail on Apple IIc machines in elementary school. I remember wanting an Apple IIGS so bad I actually cried to my parrents about it.

Funny as it is, I didn't actually own my very own Mac until about 3 years ago. It was a G4 Powerbook 1.33 17"er.

Anyhow, keep the stories coming. (I'm home sick and it's rather entertaining)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    halijanhalijan Posts: 24member
    i got the first model iPod shipped over to Australia and the day after it arrived Apple brought out a brand new slim non-bricklike version with much more capacity for a lower price.. i just sat back and cried until the new model arrived at my door and i got rid of the old one for the same price i paid for it... love exchange rates
  • Reply 9 of 10
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    I bought my 17" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz a couple of weeks before the latest bump to 2.4 GHz. Although I got it at a low price, the 3 GB RAM limitation really bothers me, now that it has been removed. Other than that, the bump is pretty minor. Hopefully, 3 GB RAM will be enough for those times when I push Photoshop hard.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I bought a Core Duo Macbook a few days before the bump to Core 2 Duo. I knew the update was coming but I figured I'd make the plunge because I had been waiting forever to purchase. Bought it used off ebay. Paid waay too much in retrospect, but happy with it nontheless. Waiting now for the MBP redesign/Leopard/Blu-Ray/Penryn/Bearlake/ whichever comes first. This update was decent and all given the updated graphics and all, but my Macbook has served me well since and there's little reason to upgrade until something wow comes along.