Apple building stockpile of 3 million iPhones for launch?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Not to mention everyone's btching about the internet running slow with all the new heavy users...

Do you mean the world wide web......

I know, I know..... irresponsible.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Shameless.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:

Does the 3mil include the ones that Steve is hording for ebay...
  • Reply 24 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -dF View Post

That would be glorious.

I have a hunch.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sigs21 View Post

Does the 3mil include the ones that Steve is hording for ebay...

What?
  • Reply 26 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Shameless.

I thought that character trait was a pre-requisite to signing up!?

• Reply 27 of 51
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    did you hear that everyone? especially those of you in Connecticut - there WILL BE 3 MILLION units on day one.

there is NO NEED for you to go to the apple store at opening and stand in line. just go after work. i don't want to have to wait behind all of you in the morning. relax, they'll be there. no worries! i'll tell you how it is during the day and you can pick one up on your way home. there will be PLENTY of them.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    eruithildureruithildur Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Nope. :P I mean the internet as defined in the dictionary... See, the iPhone uses more than just the WWW. It has mail too...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/internet

Quote:

A system connecting computers around the world using TCP/IP, which stands for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, a set of standards for transmitting and receiving digital data. The Internet consists primarily of the collection of billions of interconnected webpages that are transferred using HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), and are collectively known as the World Wide Web. The Internet also uses FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to transfer files, and SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to transfer e-mail.

• Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

I thought that character trait was a pre-requisite to signing up!?

Yeah, well, we are pretty Zonked here.

Just fall in line.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

did you hear that everyone? especially those of you in Connecticut - there WILL BE 3 MILLION units on day one.

there is NO NEED for you to go to the apple store at opening and stand in line. just go after work. i don't want to have to wait behind all of you in the morning. relax, they'll be there. no worries! i'll tell you how it is during the day and you can pick one up on your way home. there will be PLENTY of them.

Ridiculous! Of course you must wait in line! And right after purchasing said iPhone, you must rush to your local movie theater to see Steve Jobs'... er, Disney+Pixar's Ratatouille!

Have you gone completely mad, man?!

• Reply 31 of 51
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eric1285 View Post

I doubt they'll have 3 million units. ML reported that they would only have 200k-300k at launch.

Indeed. The report does seem a bit suspect. If Apple are expecting to sell 10 million units in 18 months, would they really make 3 million for launch?
  • Reply 32 of 51
    eric1285eric1285 Posts: 29member
    Quote:

This is unconfirmed. The two "sources" are not cited. I find it hard to believe that with all the problems Apple had late in the development cycle (battery issues, software updates, etc) that they have been able to just crank out 3 million iPhones. I'm still banking on 200-300k units at launch with production slowly increasing from there.

I wish I knew how many AT&T stores there were. Since most stores expect to be getting 30-40 units, you could just multiply the two numbers, plus an estimate of 50-100 per Apple store (of which there are not that many) to figure out how many iPhones there really will be at launch.

Edit: so apparently there are roughly 10,000 AT&T stores, but I think that includes those tiny kiosk stores which probably one get more than a couple of iPhones. Even at 40 phones for every single store, that's only 400,000. Throw in the 150 or so Apple stores at 100 iPhones apiece, and you're still looking at a total of less than half a million.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

I wish I knew how many AT&T stores there were. Since most stores expect to be getting 30-40 units, you could just multiply the two numbers, plus an estimate of 50-100 per Apple store (of which there are not that many) to figure out how many iPhones there really will be at launch.

I'd be surprised if Apple only had 50-100 units at their brick and mortar locations. I suspect that they'll have plenty more than are being supplied to AT&T stores.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So that's uh... 200 or 300 units?
  • Reply 35 of 51
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Edit: so apparently there are roughly 10,000 AT&T stores, but I think that includes those tiny kiosk stores which probably one get more than a couple of iPhones. Even at 40 phones for every single store, that's only 400,000. Throw in the 150 or so Apple stores at 100 iPhones apiece, and you're still looking at a total of less than half a million.

There may be 10,000 AT&T 'resellers' but only approximately 2000 corporate locations will be selling the iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

LOL. Good one!!
  • Reply 37 of 51
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I think that Apple will probably look first at their own stores and stock them based on their size and location. The Oklahoma City store isn't going to get as many as the stores in New York City.

Then they will do something similar for the ATT Stores, but at lower rates.

Finally they will have a good stock on hand for the online Apple Store and also to resupply all of the other stores, based on the first day's sales. Apple will probably look at sales at noon (in California), spot the locations that need stock and begin filling boxes to them, with another round later in the day.

Look for overnight resupply for stores out of stock (or very low) each day for the first week as well as Apple shipping direct to the factory to their own stores.

Steve J is going to have this planned and co-ordinated better than D Day was. And, yep, the online store will be the best place to get one if you live in the larger markets.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Unless you happen to be person number 3,000,001!
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

I think that Apple will probably look first at their own stores and stock them based on their size and location. The Oklahoma City store isn't going to get as many as the stores in New York City.

Then they will do something similar for the ATT Stores, but at lower rates.

Finally they will have a good stock on hand for the online Apple Store and also to resupply all of the other stores, based on the first day's sales. Apple will probably look at sales at noon (in California), spot the locations that need stock and begin filling boxes to them, with another round later in the day.

Look for overnight resupply for stores out of stock (or very low) each day for the first week as well as Apple shipping direct to the factory to their own stores.

Steve J is going to have this planned and co-ordinated better than D Day was. And, yep, the online store will be the best place to get one if you live in the larger markets.

I'm not sure if they can do that. This isn't like selling iPods.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not sure if they can do that. This isn't like selling iPods.

Couldn't agree more. No way they can have 3 million iPhones in stock, would also bet my money on 200-300K tops \ .