ATTENTION ALL MAC USERS!!!

4fx4fx
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Dear fellow Mac users,

As an avid Mac user I am looking forward to a bright future of expanded software support for the Macintosh and Mac OS X.

However, some companies that have long supported the Mac are considering terminating their support. In particular, Intuit - a financial software company which many people know from their products such as Quicken, TurboTax and Quickbooks are planning to axe their support for the Mac. I find this unfortunate and hope to do something about it.

Here is a link to their customer feedback form:

<a href="https://orderupdate.intuit.com/corporate.asp"; target="_blank">https://orderupdate.intuit.com/corporate.asp</a>;

Please tell them that you are disappointed in their decision and hope that they will reconsider. Don't think that your response wont count! In this day and age companies take into account the limited number of customer responses and will often count a single response as a rather large factor(10, 100 or even 1000). Your response will count and if enough people respond, they will listen.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    We need to yell at Bill Campbell...is he still on Apples Board??
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    This was brought up at the recent shareholder's meeting. SJ's comments were that he was disappointed. And yes, Mr. Campbell is still on the Apple board. He should be removed.... why give him money for sitting on the board of a company he doesn't support?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Intuit's products are overrated. I switched from Turbo Tax to H&R Block's tax program this year (the name escapes me at the moment), and it was every bit as easy to use as TT, and it was half the price. I suspect someone there see's the hand writing on the wall.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    rambo47rambo47 Posts: 91member
    I don't see this as a failing of Intuit, but rather a failing of Apple. It's a simple numbers game for companies deciding whether or not to support the Mac platform. Do you really expect a company to provide software at a loss?

When developers quit supporting the Mac its because there's no $$ in it, and if there is a potential profit, there is a greater potential profit on the Wintel side. Dedicating resources to a less-profitable venture is pure stupidity.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I dont understand how they could possibly be operating at a loss within their Mac division. All iMac owners are actually Intuit customers since Quicken is bundled with them(not sure if the other Macs come with it). So it would seem as though profit from the licensing of Quicken alone would pull a significant profit. I can see the possibility with QuickBooks, but doesnt TurboTax for the Mac also sell quite well? My father switched over to TaxCut because Intuit failed to ship the state package one year, so thats what Ive been using for the last several years. But it seems with Intuit's name that it would be a profitable product. And they sell it every year for goodness sakes!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Why is it that Microsoft makes plenty of money with Office:mac but Intuit can't make a dime with their "industry standard" software for the Mac?

And other are right when they point out that there are better alternatives. The clumsy interface, poor support and spotty development make it very unattractive for a lot of people. I have Quicken 2002 only because it shipped with my iMac.

With online banking and tax filing, using any version of Quicken's personal banking products (Quicken, TurboTax) looks more superfluous with each passing day. Intuit will find itself totally dependent on small business accounting software in the near future, and they've given up on that kind of product for the Mac. We'll see if that's a good idea in a few years when they will need every customer they can get.

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    While I do find Intuit's Mac support to be a problem, it would be best if you didn't FUD things up.

[quote]MacInTouch reader John Oswald wrote to set the record straight after reports elsewhere about his exchange at the recent Apple shareholder's meeting:

"Since I am the stockholder that took issue with [Intuit's] William Campbell sitting on the Board at Apple, let me clarify what happened.

Â* I objected to the seating of Mr. Campbell on the board due to the complete lack of advancement of Quickbooks Pro for Mac over several years. It had nothing to do with the lack of feature parity of Quicken for Mac, though that is an issue also. I simply said that it seems that Mr. Campbell had no right to sit on the Board as his company has relegated Macs to a back-of-the-bus position in offices throughout the business world for many years.

Â* I pointed out that the only way to really grow market share was in the business community and that with a program as basic to business as Quickbooks Pro lacking a way to exist in any but the smallest of businesses, that we Mac users would continue to be second class citizens. Given that Mr. Campbell draws no small remuneration for sitting on the board, it also follows that he should bring something to the table.

Â* The fact is that the media has let this run amuck. As usual, the worst is assumed and this should straighten the story. To my knowledge, Intuit is not dropping Mac support, they simply have failed to advance our platform at a rate anywhere near our Windows compatriots, thereby causing me concern as a stockholder."
    <hr></blockquote>

Note that Intuit is also looking for beta testers for Quicken 2003. Not exactly the actions of a company terminating Mac support. There are other issues of more importance, like banks dropping Mac support, and feature disparity. Would be best ot b*tch about the correct things, dontcha think?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I believe they said they would be phasing out Mac support, not necessarily in the immediate future. But if the above statement is true, then I suppose it means little difference to the current lineup, just new version of Quicken and TurboTax each year, with less than ideal parity with the PC versions.

Of course there are a number of Tax programs that are better than TurboTax and MYOB just released Account Edge which will probably annihilate the remnants of QuickBooks for Mac. <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/myob/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/myob/</a>;

Anyway, if this is the case, then I owe Intuit an appology for several complaints