Poor bets placed on new iMacs at Apple's developer conference

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Perhaps everyone is right on the iMac update possibility --

That is, they may use WWDC to do one of the 'quiet updates' to the iMac, just upgrading the chips and speeds minimally, formfactor remains same, and channel supply remains looking healthy all the while.

And still be working on the alleged AlumiMac (Alum-iMac?) (you read it hear first... with the major hardware and Leopard software upgrades later in the year.

Though, I agree that in order to try to keep the Education market (students and school ops) happy and in the Mac world, they will need an updated iMac available before Fall '07.

(Sometimes I wonder if Apple is intentionally trying to lose the Education market, what with their product intro timing misses and often dropping their most affordable model from the lineup.)
  • Reply 102 of 141
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My guess is that TS hasn't been as accurate of late because one of their key reporters left the country. Maybe they developed new sources but TS has been too wrong too often to be believed. Still, I'd love to see a new munimula iMac and it'd be exciting if Jobs introduced it at WWDC.
  • Reply 103 of 141
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMH View Post

The Current Mac 's are 10 Months old, they need a new case design, better graphic, larger HD, etc.... Apple should update they products every 6-7 month.

They don't NEED a new case design, so short of that, everything you're talking about can be introduced in a refresh and not an entire overhaul.
  • Reply 104 of 141
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

In his last interview Jobs said that he hopes soon they will be selling more than 90% notebooks. Now we know the paln - update the rest of the line once in 2 years

If he said he wishes to be selling 90% laptops, that's not so healthy, IMO -- as laptops are the LEAST ergonomic (Most Unergonomic?) computers. Yes, very handy to have your computer with you, no argument there, and I have and have had several laptops (windows and macs).

But to use the laptop you generally find folks in a stooped, hunched, cramped posture, because the flat non-ergo keyboard is right next to the screen. Not so good for shoulders, neck, breathing.

'course, you can bring a separate ergo keyboard with the laptop, but then that is sounding more like the small format iMac.

The computer should be helping us to thrive, not forcing the body into contortion to use and conform to it. Well, enough of my ergo soapboxing - time to stand up and s-t-r-e-t-c-h.
  • Reply 105 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

If he said he wishes to be selling 90% laptops, that's not so healthy, IMO -- as laptops are the LEAST ergonomic (Most Unergonomic?) computers.

Except that Jobs didn't really say that.

He didn't say "wish", he simply speculated that Apple might be selling 80 to 90 percent laptops in a few years, presumably if current trends hold. I don't think Steve personally despises desktops as a product or anything. \

• Reply 106 of 141
    Quote:

he simply speculated that Apple might be selling 80 to 90 percent laptops in a few years

Ahh, thank you for the clarification on that.

There is hope yet that we will survive the computer use years...

• Reply 107 of 141
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMH View Post

The Current Mac 's are 10 Months old, they need a new case design, better graphic, larger HD, etc.... Apple should update they products every 6-7 month.

These days the iMac is updated every 8-9 months. It was last revised on Jan. 10, 2006 (Core Duo) and Sept. 06, 2006 (Core 2 Duo and 24-inch model) and as a matter of fact the C2D iMac is 9 months old.

ThinkSecret's story has been updated. "Update: While sources are confident that the company's plans have called for an announcement next week, they caution that the release schedule may have changed. If that proves to be the case, the aluminum iMacs would presumably follow in the ensuing weeks."

Whaddya mean, weeks?
  • Reply 108 of 141
    sandylpsandylp Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

Mac pro is in desparate need of new GPU's!!!!

And for a computer that price, needs 2GB Ram as standard!!

As it is a developers conference as such, i do think we could see this happen

Since the WWDC involves Pros, I would think that new hardware for the Mac Pro would be introduced before the iMac. I bought my G5 right after it was introduced at WWDC in 2004 along with the new Alum displays. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. You're right about the 2GB Ram, though. If it's standard in the MBP, it most certainly should be standard in the MP.
  • Reply 109 of 141
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    People are always saying that eventually the notebook will replace the desktop. I think actually the laptop is the one in danger from all these new gadgets such as the iphone.

The gadgets are no threat to the desktop which has a big screen and it used for getting serious work done (iLife/Office type tasks). Even businessmen don't need a full laptop (thinking here of Palm's new device from D).
  • Reply 110 of 141
    carlito2carlito2 Posts: 43member
    i think that Steve will "one more thing" with a new design multi touch imac

However it will be a preview saying these things are avalible in october with the new os x

the reason i think this is because .......

Steve wants the next qtr to be focused on the iphone so there won't be anymore hardware updates and then just when the shaire get stable and the iphones start to run out

BOOM

new imacs and OS X.5 and new ipods for the holiday season.

Apple will be Knackered (british word for tired) by MWSF 2008 so they may annouce the itakingaholiday
  • Reply 111 of 141
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

These days the iMac is updated every 8-9 months. It was last revised on Jan. 10, 2006 (Core Duo) and Sept. 06, 2006 (Core 2 Duo and 24-inch model) and as a matter of fact the C2D iMac is 9 months old.

ThinkSecret's story has been updated. "Update: While sources are confident that the company's plans have called for an announcement next week, they caution that the release schedule may have changed. If that proves to be the case, the aluminum iMacs would presumably follow in the ensuing weeks."

Whaddya mean, weeks?

So, I read this "Update" as meaning that iMacs will be announced for preorder and actually be shipped by July or something? This kind of thing has happened for AppleTV and iPhone (and OS obviously) but have they done this with computer hardware before?
  • Reply 112 of 141
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

...have they done this with computer hardware before?

The G4 iMac was announced at MWSF in early January 2002 with the SuperDrive model shipping in late January, the combo drive model in late February and a CD-RW model in late March. That's the most obvious one I can think of; I know there have been several instances of machines announced for shipping a short time later. It was more typical back when product announcements were always tied to events, where dates were fixed far in advance, and production couldn't always be ramped up at exactly the right moment.

There was also the retirement of the G4 iMac several months before the G5 was announced, but they didn't actually show the new machine until it was ready to go. That was NOT typical, however, as the old machine was not available either.
  • Reply 113 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

People are always saying that eventually the notebook will replace the desktop. I think actually the laptop is the one in danger from all these new gadgets such as the iphone.

The gadgets are no threat to the desktop which has a big screen and it used for getting serious work done (iLife/Office type tasks). Even businessmen don't need a full laptop (thinking here of Palm's new device from D).

I don't think that either desktops or laptops are going away any time soon.

Desktops will be around because the parts are cheaper and the screens are larger than laptops.

Laptops will be around because the screens are lots bigger than UMPCs or iPhone-type devices, and because many people prefer full-size keyboards.

Both may take hits to their marketshare, but neither seems to be going bye-bye anytime soon.

(Small laptops may be in danger in the long run, if someone ever makes a 'UMPC done right', with a screen that unrolls/unfolds to near laptop size, plus has a nice virtual keyboard implementation and/or fast accurate voice input. But that'd be a ways off.)

• Reply 114 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandylp View Post

Since the WWDC involves Pros, I would think that new hardware for the Mac Pro would be introduced before the iMac. I bought my G5 right after it was introduced at WWDC in 2004 along with the new Alum displays. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. You're right about the 2GB Ram, though. If it's standard in the MBP, it most certainly should be standard in the MP.

The WWDC involves DEVELOPERS, not pros.

They develop for the Mac platform, not just for the Mac Pro.

Any new computer sales will benefit those developers.

Right now, they will see a benefit from Apple opening up the OS in the iPhone, and even the OS in the ATv, all of which happen to use the same OS (with limitations due to the different hardware).

The Mac Pro received updated cpu's not long ago, when they went to dual quad core chips.
  • Reply 115 of 141
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    If a new aluminum iMac is coming soon, it might look something like this, compared with the existing white plastic model (24").

• Reply 116 of 141
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

If a new aluminum iMac is coming soon, it might look something like this, compared with the existing white plastic model (24").

Wow, that's awesome.
  • Reply 117 of 141
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

That's really nice Rolo. I hope we see this sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 118 of 141
    The best mock up I have seen so far.
  • Reply 119 of 141
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    The problem with that is that it isn't quite the BIG DEAL Ive-esque redesign that has been rumored/advertised.

If this is all that we get, it would be a yawn : this design has been out for years now in the form of the Apple Cinema Display. But this is precisely what has become stale by now.

Why would Apple designers stuff an out-of-date iMac into an out-of-date display shell ????????

At best it would generate a lot of confusion as to what an iMac is and what an Apple Cinema Display is.

No, I think we are in for a whole lot more ----

How they will achieve a more minimalist form factor, make it gorgeous-er, and keep it looking

Apple-ish I can't even guess !!!

One design I saw for a laptop by another maker had what I suspect might achieve all of the above requirements:

ZERO BEZEL ..... ALL PICTURE with a small chin for the logo.

It was a prototype.

It looked like a slab of black obsidian with a brilliant picture on the front face.... no edge at all.

The keyboard was another glass slab with a virtual ( and so limitless) keyboard on the top face.

This was hinged to the top slab by a translucent blue cylinder filled with methanol for its fuel cell.

It was unbearably beautiful ----- can't post my jpegs of it and lost track of the URL.

If anyone ( ahhhemmm ) could photoshop an iMac version of this, I would put my money on it.

Else, I'll go with the giant iPhone-on-a-stick design above.
  • Reply 120 of 141
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

The problem with that is that it isn't quite the BIG DEAL Ive-esque redesign that has been rumored/advertised.

If this is all that we get, it would be a yawn : this design has been out for years now in the form of the Apple Cinema Display. But this is precisely what has become stale by now.

Why would Apple designers stuff an out-of-date iMac into an out-of-date display shell ????????

At best it would generate a lot of confusion as to what an iMac is and what an Apple Cinema Display is.

No, I think we are in for a whole lot more ----

How they will achieve a more minimalist form factor, make it gorgeous-er, and keep it looking

Apple-ish I can't even guess !!!

One design I saw for a laptop by another maker had what I suspect might achieve all of the above requirements:

ZERO BEZEL ..... ALL PICTURE with a small chin for the logo.

It looked like a slab of obsidian with a brilliant picture on the front face.

The keyboard was another glass slab with a virtual ( and so limitless) keyboard on the facof it.

This was hinged to the top slab by a translucent blue cylinder filled with metahanol for its fuel cell.

It was unbearably beautiful ----- can't post my jpegs of it and lost track of the URL.

If anyone ( ahhhemmm ) could photoshop an iMac version of this, I would put my money on it.

Else, I'll go with the giant iPhone-on-a-stick design above.

You mean this.

Totally impractical.