New MacBook Pro Questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I'm in the market for one of the new MBPs. I'm looking specifically at the 15 inch, 2.4 ghz model.

I have a few questions on customizing it:

How important is the hard drive speed? Should I spend the extra 135 to get the same space but with more RPMs? (5400 vs 7200 rpm)

How important is it to get the extra 2 GB of RAM? Is it worth the extra (eek!!!!) $675 to double the 2 GB to 4? Will it really make a difference in performance? And if so, are there cheaper ways to o that upgrade in a local computor shop like compusa or bestbuy or someplace?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm also wondering about the 7200 RPM hard drive upgrade. If you've ever used a normal desktop and find it always seems a bit more responsive than a notebook, then I would go for the 7200 RPM drive.

As for the extra 2 gigs, I don't need them. 2 Gigs is enough for now.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Unless you have the money burning a hole in your pocket I would delay the ram upgrade until prices come down. OSX runs fantastic on 2 gigs of ram. If you are doing hard core image and video editing you may want more, but for a laptop 4 gigs is probably a little much for most.

The hard drive is a harder decision - and really depends on what you want more: battery life, or performance. A faster hard drive opens and saves files faster, but most people who need hard drive performance use and external firewire drive anyway, and opt in for the battery saving 5400 rpm drive. If you are not using photoshop, final cut, I would suggest going with the 5400 drive.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ssssss Posts: 30member
    Bearing in mind the new graphics card updates and processor updates which is faster:

Last months 2.33Ghz 3GB ram 17" MBP

or

This months 2.4Ghz 2GB ram 17" MBP

?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

If you are not using photoshop, final cut, I would suggest going with the 5400 drive.

so you're saying PS would benefit from a faster drive then?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Percentage wise (if it can be compared that way), how much faster is the 7200?

Also, something to keep in mind is the added delivery time for the faster hard drive
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gkorsgardgkorsgard Posts: 31member
    I got the 17" with the 7200rpm drive yesterday. I mainly use PS and Final Cut. Openning the files made a majordifference.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

Percentage wise (if it can be compared that way), how much faster is the 7200?

Also, something to keep in mind is the added delivery time for the faster hard drive

Seagate says drive speed is 25% faster (7200 vs 5400). I'm not sure that makes the whole system operate 25% faster, but when the drive is being accessed, it will be 25% faster.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r1400sch View Post

Hey,

I'm in the market for one of the new MBPs. I'm looking specifically at the 15 inch, 2.4 ghz model.

I have a few questions on customizing it:

How important is the hard drive speed? Should I spend the extra 135 to get the same space but with more RPMs? (5400 vs 7200 rpm)

How important is it to get the extra 2 GB of RAM? Is it worth the extra (eek!!!!) $675 to double the 2 GB to 4? Will it really make a difference in performance? And if so, are there cheaper ways to o that upgrade in a local computor shop like compusa or bestbuy or someplace?

Thanks in advance!

I am also going to be getting the same model as you and have been considering the different options.

As for the Ram that price is absolutely ridiculous. Keep your eyes open for some deals. I just bought 4gb for $200 at frys.com. The price has since been raised to 160 for each 2gb stick but that is still half the price of apple.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    r1400schr1400sch Posts: 8member
    yeh that RAM price is crazy...is it easy to change RAM on a MBP yourself? And is there a specific type of RAM you need to buy? Does the ram from apple work better, or is it simply overpriced?

Also any more input on harddrive speeds would be appreciated.

Thanks!