Taiwanese memory makers debate future iPod video prospects

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Precisely when Apple Inc. plans to overhaul its video iPod line of digital media players with the latest NAND flash and touch-screen technologies remains the topic of considerable debate, even among the Taiwanese memory makers who will eventually supply components for the devices, according to a published report.

DigiTimes in a Friday piece claims that some memory module makers in Taiwan are saying that over the third quarter Apple has placed monthly orders for about 20 million units (in 1Gbit equivalent units) of NAND flash, a quantity that suggests the company is planning for additional demand, and which the module makers are attributing to a flash-based iPod video.

However, the rumor site reports that based on recent price trends, one flash-related sales manager believes that Apple may need to postpone its launch plans for the NAND flash-based iPod video beyond the third quarter as the product would not be competitive.

Either way, the point appears moot for the time being, as sources have continually reported that a true (standalone) video iPod still appears to be a ways out, with the most recent rumblings suggesting a late 2007, early 2008 launch at best. Those sources have maintained that Apple is unwilling to introduce a product that would square-off against iPhone so early in its life-cycle.

In its report, DigiTimes raises the possibility that Apple should be able to meet a late 2007 launch schedule, but may opt to introduce models with lower storage capacity that the current video iPods in order to do so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's DigiTimes, they might as well make up stories about celebrities, nothing to see here.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    DigiTimes is not a "rumor site" - its an "IT/Technology news site"
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

DigiTimes is not a "rumor site" - its an "IT/Technology news site"

It doesn't matter, they don't do either very well. They have made many claims about upcoming Apple products, I don't think any one of them have come true.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...l_october.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_07_ipod.html

Lets be fair here. Sure the second one is slightly wrong - we've seen them in MacBook Pros, but its still pretty close.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Two versions, one 32GB flash version for great battery life, and two 100GB hard drive based version. Both will be round the same $399 price point.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...l_october.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...e_07_ipod.html

Lets be fair here. Sure the second one is slightly wrong - we've seen them in MacBook Pros, but its still pretty close.

OK then, but the reason for that first prediction was way off as well, so the headline is correct, but much of the body is wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I think this argument about not introducing a touch screen based iPod because it will endanger iPhone sales is ill considered.

How many of the prospective purchasers of an iPhone will be shelling out $500 to just buy a 4gb iPod with a fancy interface? Not many i'll bet. So if there were also a true video iPod with a similar interface, would people buy it in preference to an iPhone if they needed/wanted a snazzy phone? Even if they did, Apple wouldn't be losing a thing since they still make a sale, so how can Apple lose?

I personally need a higher capacity iPod, not a low capacity phone so I wish they would get on with it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I think this argument about not introducing a touch screen based iPod because it will endanger iPhone sales is ill considered......

I personally need a higher capacity iPod, not a low capacity phone so I wish they would get on with it.

For me, it's all about optimizing my already full pockets. A 16 GB iPhone would be enough for me to merge iPod and phone. 8 GB is juuust below the limit for me. If that's the deal I will probably buy a new touch iPod if it has the wifi surf and mail stuff and wait with the phone... If the touch iPod doesn't have wifi and all, I'll wait another year or so till the iPhone has more storage. My 10 GB 3 years old iPod still plays songs very well yaknow..
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ajmasajmas Posts: 597member
    All I see is a greater demand for NAND based memory, but two uses for this memory, outside of another iPod, is for MacBooks and the iPhone, since I believe the latter uses NAND based memory.