Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1941 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I hope it is easy to swap out drives in my iMac Intel. I can't wait for the price to drop on these drives and the media. These blu-ray drives are going to be quite awesome for storage.
  • Reply 1942 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

ahem...

seen this?

http://fastmac.com/slim_bluray.php

why hasn`t anyone commented on it? to busy arguing I suppose.

how long before Apple responds?

any third party BD or HD drives would work as long as third party software can support the drives. It would've been news worth discussing if the price had drop more rapidly into $100 range. I'd love get one into an external case and use it on both mac and a pc. At least, I'd be able to test my new HTPC as a BD player.
  • Reply 1943 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Well, that's the "beauty" of the Internet. Every little kid can be blindly quoted - even on professional sites.

But of course that wouldnt happen on this thread now would it
  • Reply 1944 of 4650
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Catman4d2 View Post

how long before Apple responds?

As the slotloading drive is priced at $899, I'd say it will be a while.

I note that that the drive isn't available for the current 15-inch MacBook Pros. I was wondering about this, with all the shrieking about why Apple didn't include an HD optical drive (of either format) in the latest revision. Apart from the cost, is anyone even shipping an ultraslim (are they 9.5mm?) drive to OEMs yet?

bitemymac, I'd take you up on your "Matrix" offer but I already have a copy in hand. The picture quality is... Y'all who are so up in arms all the time should turn off your computers and go watch a movie. Trust me, you'll feel better for it. The world is full of wonderful things, and high-definition home video is definitely one of them!
  • Reply 1945 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Amazon BD sales spike is due to a new promo on Sony Movies. We've seen this before few months back, and also seen it drop down to norm after the promo.

Did you also notice that HD DVD has been on a downward trend the last 7 days on Amazon? Their aggregate top 10 ranking fell from about 300 to almost 600 and the top 25 from about 800 to almost 1400. Even the much-touted Matrix sets have fallen badly, with the Complete Matrix down to 342 as I write this. Why would a Blu-ray promotion do anything so drastic to HD DVD's numbers? Do you think there are that many format-neutral HT owners out there who own both and would curtail their HD DVD disc purchase plans to buy the Blu-ray discs on sale?

In fact, as I write this, even the 20th ranked Blu-ray disc beats everything except the top 3 HD DVDs. Unfortunately, it stops at 20, so we don't know if the 25th or even 30th ranked BD still beats the #4 HD DVD.
  • Reply 1946 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Did you also notice that HD DVD has been on a downward trend the last 7 days on Amazon? Their aggregate top 10 ranking fell from about 300 to almost 600 and the top 25 from about 800 to almost 1400. Even the much-touted Matrix sets have fallen badly, with the Complete Matrix down to 342 as I write this. Why would a Blu-ray promotion do anything so drastic to HD DVD's numbers? Do you think there are that many format-neutral HT owners out there who own both and would curtail their HD DVD disc purchase plans to buy the Blu-ray discs on sale?

In fact, as I write this, even the 20th ranked Blu-ray disc beats everything except the top 3 HD DVDs. Unfortunately, it stops at 20, so we don't know if the 25th or even 30th ranked BD still beats the #4 HD DVD.

You'd be surprised at number of neutral supporters in the enthusiasts community. I was also in neutral position for very short time, and I will have ability to be format neutral based on the BD-drive price to fall in the future, since I already have a software that supports BD playback on my HTPC.

Anyway, I don't think BD spike and HD-DVD slow down is much related. It's just part of a buying cycle for consumers. As you can see that HD-DVD version of Planet Earth have been sustaining it's #1 ranking since the introduction, which is about a month now. It's been holding it's place at #4 to #10 in DVD sales and I don't think any BD titles have been that popular even for a $20 BD title compared to $66.99 HD-DVD set.

We'll continue to see ranking #'s going up and down, but I think BD will start trending lower due to lack of/and slow down of PS3 sales.... unless Sony drops PS3 to $399 or lower. It seems that Sony has saturated PS3 demands at $599 price tag.
  • Reply 1947 of 4650
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:

Not only was cdfreaks wrong, they absolutely refuse to fix their article or publish a correction. Here's their breathless article clearly saying all of Bollywood is going HD DVD. But look at the very source that they link to, the Inquirer, which says no such thing. The Inquirer in turn links to the article I pointed to above as its source, which again says nothing about HD DVD, nothing about Bollywood in general, just this being the first Bollywood film to be shot with an HD camera instead of film.

It was all written by Hmurchison.
  • Reply 1948 of 4650
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Not only was cdfreaks wrong, they absolutely refuse to fix their article or publish a correction. Here's their breathless article clearly saying all of Bollywood is going HD DVD. But look at the very source that they link to, the Inquirer, which says no such thing. The Inquirer in turn links to the article I pointed to above as its source, which again says nothing about HD DVD, nothing about Bollywood in general, just this being the first Bollywood film to be shot with an HD camera instead of film.

Somebody named Deckard68 already pointed this out in their feedback. Twice. I also pointed it out. Then they deleted my post. And they haven't fixed their completely erroneous article, not that I expect them to do, ever. Clearly, they're a bunch of HD DVD fanboys, to borrow somebody's terminology.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

It was all written by Hmurchison.

Looks like they've finally figured it out:

Quote:

News coordinator update: This article has been corrected to mention that Bollywood chose HD as in High Definition and not the HD DVD next generation disc format as originally mentioned. We appologise for this mistake.

• Reply 1949 of 4650
    Quote:

You'd be surprised at number of neutral supporters in the enthusiasts community. I was also in neutral position for very short time, and I will have ability to be format neutral based on the BD-drive price to fall in the future, since I already have a software that supports BD playback on my HTPC.

While that may be, regarding nuetral suporters in the enthusiasts community, the question remains: how big is that community? Is it big enough to grow it beyond a niche market especially since average consumers seem to be ignoring the HD formats?

Quote:

We'll continue to see ranking #'s going up and down, but I think BD will start trending lower due to lack of/and slow down of PS3 sales.... unless Sony drops PS3 to $399 or lower. It seems that Sony has saturated PS3 demands at $599 price tag.

Bite, I kind-of agree with you with on PS3 sales with one caveat, that if some killer platform specific games come out, then sale should remain healthy. I also don't see how a slow down in PS3 sales would affect B-r disc sales, especially with lower price players on the horizon. Disc sales for both formats are more of a function of quality and quantity of in demand titles available.

I'm not trying to rekindle the HD-DVD - Blu-ray argument but am curious, are there any reliable sales figures for HD-DVD players?
  • Reply 1950 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

While that may be, regarding nuetral suporters in the enthusiasts community, the question remains: how big is that community? Is it big enough to grow it beyond a niche market especially since average consumers seem to be ignoring the HD formats?

Bite, I kind-of agree with you with on PS3 sales with one caveat, that if some killer platform specific games come out, then sale should remain healthy. I also don't see how a slow down in PS3 sales would affect B-r disc sales, especially with lower price players on the horizon. Disc sales for both formats are more of a function of quality and quantity of in demand titles available.

I'm not trying to rekindle the HD-DVD - Blu-ray argument but am curious, are there any reliable sales figures for HD-DVD players?

Unfortunately, the niche status still remains even when you count both formats together. There is a clear disadvantage for average consumers to consider HD formats mainly due to the entry cost, even if one already owns HDTV and most standalone HiDef Players are backwards compatible with SD-DVD's. However, this may change sooner or later for both formats. There are newer and cheaper HiDef format players on the horizon for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. We can now have HD-DVD players for $199 as shown here,

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mR3q4gf...87&pfxid=k1971

As for how PS3 sales would influence Blu-Ray movie sales is because PS3 is most popular BD player at the moment, mostly for being the cheapest hardware solution. This would eventually change once standalone BD player price would drop much below $599 ($499 when 20GB PS3's were available). The newer and cheaper BD players on the horizon are still priced close to the current PS3 ($599) and it would only appeal mostly to the enthusiast market. Which means that newer players are offered to the, already saturated by PS3, $599 BD player market and would have to wait longer for BD players to reach average consumer budget.

And to your last question regarding reliable sales figures on the hardwares, I've not found any reliable source that measures both BD or HD players. However, from the last survey in the enthusiast community resulted greater than 3:1 ratio favoring HD-DVD and when including PS3's and Xbox Add ons as HiDef players, it was 6:4 still favoring HD-DVD, which was concluded from about 1800 participants sometime in the early 2007.
  • Reply 1951 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Unfortunately, the niche status still remains even when you count both formats together. There is a clear disadvantage for average consumers to consider HD formats mainly due to the entry cost, even if one already owns HDTV and most standalone HiDef Players are backwards compatible with SD-DVD's. However, this may change sooner or later for both formats. There are newer and cheaper HiDef format players on the horizon for both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. We can now have HD-DVD players for $199 as shown here,

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mR3q4gf...87&pfxid=k1971

As for how PS3 sales would influence Blu-Ray movie sales is because PS3 is most popular BD player at the moment, mostly for being the cheapest hardware solution. This would eventually change once standalone BD player price would drop much below $599 ($499 when 20GB PS3's were available). The newer and cheaper BD players on the horizon are still priced close to the current PS3 ($599) and it would only appeal mostly to the enthusiast market. Which means that newer players are offered to the, already saturated by PS3, $599 BD player market and would have to wait longer for BD players to reach average consumer budget.

And to your last question regarding reliable sales figures on the hardwares, I've not found any reliable source that measures both BD or HD players. However, from the last survey in the enthusiast community resulted greater than 3:1 ratio favoring HD-DVD and when including PS3's and Xbox Add ons as HiDef players, it was 6:4 still favoring HD-DVD, which was concluded from about 1800 participants sometime in the early 2007.

Have you not heard the news...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=233

Sony already has a standalone BD player cheaper than the PS3 in the BDP S300 at a $499 list price just like the A2 you quoted above. Not to mention that the Sony has HDMI 1.3 and can do 1080P. Expect it to actually retail for a lot less eventually. Also, there are several reports of more and more cheaper Blu-ray hardware on the horizon...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=244

Moreover, I find your last paragraph about as unreliable as they come, considering no one knows how many PS3s are being used as Blu-ray players and the fact that with PS3 numbers taken into account, Blu-ray hardware outnumbers HD DVD hardware approximately 10 to 1.
  • Reply 1952 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Have you not heard the news...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=233

Sony already has a standalone BD player cheaper than the PS3 in the BDP S300 at a $499 list price just like the A2 you quoted above. Not to mention that the Sony has HDMI 1.3 and can do 1080P. Expect it to actually retail for a lot less eventually. Also, there are several reports of more and more cheaper Blu-ray hardware on the horizon...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=244

Moreover, I find your last paragraph about as unreliable as they come, considering no one knows how many PS3s are being used as Blu-ray players and the fact that with PS3 numbers taken into account, Blu-ray hardware outnumbers HD DVD hardware approximately 10 to 1.

Well... let us kow when you can buy BDP S300 at $199.

Also, there is no point arguing with me on the AVS forum poll results. I'm just relaying the information. If you want to go argue with the poll result, go to avsforum and search for BD player & HD DVD player poll. I believe the poll ended sometime in march or earlier. Don't forget the poll was surveyed among AV enthusiasts, the biggest niche market supports, but not to J6P. We all know that PS3 vs standalone BD player is more than 10:1 ratio, however, within the early adapters, many do buy standalone BD player to off set 10:1 or greater ratio (50:1)? you see around general public.
  • Reply 1953 of 4650
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    the link given for 199, clearly has a 299 price.

there are lots of people that arent buying because we dont want to have an extra piece of equip. laying around if we made the wrong choice. its as simple as that. there are lots of us.
  • Reply 1954 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomj View Post

the link given for 199, clearly has a 299 price.

there are lots of people that arent buying because we dont want to have an extra piece of equip. laying around if we made the wrong choice. its as simple as that. there are lots of us.

I guess you missed the deal. It had been at $199 for couple of days, but I do see it now being offered for $299. I'm sure the deal will return. Even amazon was offering HD-A2 around $230 shipped, but now back to $299.
  • Reply 1955 of 4650
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    Quote:

I guess you missed the deal. It had been at $199 for couple of days, but I do see it now being offered for $299. I'm sure the deal will return. Even amazon was offering HD-A2 around $230 shipped, but now back to $299.

i wouldnt say i missed it. regardless, price ironically isnt going to be the selling point for many people. its just not prudent to spend any amount of money on something that may be utterly useless in a year.
  • Reply 1956 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I did see some anecdotal evidence slightly in favor of HD-DVD the other day...which I said I would report, so here it is:

I went into Circuit City and looked at their Blu-Ray and HD-DVD selection. I would say the HD-DVD selection was a little bigger...maybe 15-20% or so. Both selections were pretty poor.

I also tried to buy Pirates II on Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart, whose website said it was carried in many stores. No dice on that one. Then again, they had no HD-DVDs either.
  • Reply 1957 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I did see some anecdotal evidence slightly in favor of HD-DVD the other day...which I said I would report, so here it is:

I went into Circuit City and looked at their Blu-Ray and HD-DVD selection. I would say the HD-DVD selection was a little bigger...maybe 15-20% or so. Both selections were pretty poor.

I also tried to buy Pirates II on Blu-Ray at Wal-Mart, whose website said it was carried in many stores. No dice on that one. Then again, they had no HD-DVDs either.

Walmart is a hit and miss for next gen movie support. Most walmart stores don't carry them, however, all the Target retail stores seem be carry BD and HD-DVD with very limited selection. The Pirates I & II should be in stock at most target retails, at least, my local Target by Simi/Moorpark in Socal had multiple copies in stock.
  • Reply 1958 of 4650
    Game over... Toshiba reduces sales forecast by 44%

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7648

Things aren't looking good for HDDVD. Looks like those firesales did nothing to help sales.
  • Reply 1959 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Things aren't looking good for HDDVD. Looks like those firesales did nothing to help sales.

Someone will try to pervert that into a good thing. Just watch.
  • Reply 1960 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

I thought 2 million target in US market alone was overly optimistic by Toshiba at the price being offered at the time. Even $199 is still considered as higher pricing by the mass. I don't think it's impossible to sell 2 million HD-DVD units from now to the year end, but is Toshiba crazy like Sony to take a huge lost per unit?...... $99 HD-DVD player would sell more than 2 million by the year end, but that means Toshiba need to bleed in the books like Sony. Oh well, this format war is just going to go little longer, that's all.