New leadership hits Microsoft's Mac BU ahead of Office 2008 launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I can't tell you how much I hate Office (Mac & PC). Being in the DTP and multimedia business, I only need the client's Office documents as input but never use it as final output. I would recommend NeoOffice to anyone who is in a similar situation since it is free and works very well for that purpose. It is at least as compatible with Office for Windows as Office Mac is.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would tend to think that this dashes our hopes of an Apple, Sun, Google tag team on MS in the near future. I don't think Apple is ready to kiss MS Office good bye just yet and teaming with Sun and Google for an open office program that was as good and compatible with the new MS Office would kill that MS - Apple love they seem to be all caught up in.

Bitter and sweet I guess.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    thininethinine Posts: 71member
    I don't know if this is a good thing. Why couldn't they promote from within the MBU? It just seems like the wrong kind of leadership. MBU should not have traditional MS management.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

As for the Mac BU, do they work on anything besides office these days? Is the Mac version of Silverlight being done by them? Will we ever see a new version of Internet Explorer or WMP? Is Messenger going to disappear into the same hole that Outlook went into? What about Access, Project and all those other Office spin-offs?

I think they do Office, Messenger (not feature complete), Silverlight and Remote Desktop Client. It was probably the right decision to discontinue IE, but they shouldn't have discontinued WMP. I know there is the flip4mac Quicktime plugin, but people don't understand about "plugins." They just want a solution from Microsoft.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

The Ho is gone! No more listening to her whiny-ass voice during keynote addresses!

Granted she may have been a good leader for the group, but she sure the heck did not make a good speaker for these keynotes. I usually go for spoiler free viewing of keynotes after the event (avoiding all Mac sites (Apple, rumor mills, etc...)for the day), and when I get to her part of the keynote I just have to skip over it, checking in later for the details in recaps. Just couldn't stand listening to her after the first time (and didn't make it all the way through then, either).

Don't know anything about this new guy, other than what was posted, but anyone has to be more tolerable than Roz.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Roz Ho always seemed to be lying through her teeth and she knew it, too.

Not sure about any lies... From recaps of her part, anyway... Too early to tell if the 5 years support of Office is a lie or not.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    THE only reason we have to run Parallels is to run IE, that's it, no other reason. Why? Because the Real Estate world has chosen to create a vast number of its MLS type system with databases that simply will not work unless you are running IE on Windows, end of conversation. Not even Firefox on Windows will work let alone a Mac browser.

If only the MS Mac division could find a way to solve this (I am sure Real Estate is only one area with the same issue), ideally by fixing the problem at source (I assume the MS databases) or by some client end plug in for Safari or Firefox (no need to use IE on a Mac maybe if they could do that) or IE for Mac if they have to.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

THE only reason we have to run Parallels is to run IE, that's it,

AutoCad?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I am a happy iWorker

I don't need Office for Mac as it is way too complicated to use.

Unfortunately, my friends keep sending me Word, Powerpoint and Excel attachments, so I have no choice but to buy this expensive Office crap just to read/open these documents

It would be great if Leopard allows us to "read only" Office documents \
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I am a happy iWorker

I don't need Office for Mac as it is way too complicated to use.

Unfortunately, my friends keep sending me Word, Powerpoint and Excel attachments, so I have no choice but to buy this expensive Office crap just to read/open these documents

It would be great if Leopard allows us to "read only" Office documents \

Use NeoOffice. It is free and reads those documents fine.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The flip4mac WMV QuickTime components are the official replacement of Microsoft's OS X Media Player.

cheers mate, that saves so much work lol

thanks again
  • Reply 31 of 35
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Billy Boo Bob View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubert

Roz Ho always seemed to be lying through her teeth and she knew it, too.

Not sure about any lies... From recaps of her part, anyway... Too early to tell if the 5 years support of Office is a lie or not.

I can certainly see the basis for the "lying through her teeth" comment. She stands up on stage saying how Microsoft listens to Mac users, implements features based on your feedback, etc, all the while ignoring the biggest complaint from Mac users which is full feature parity. Entourage is still a piece of crippleware when it comes to Outlook compatibility. Now they go and drop VB macro compatibility in Office 2008 while she continues to claim that Microsoft listens to Mac customers and cares about Mac support.

Check out this piece of garbage written by a "Microsoft MVP" (i.e. apologist, ass kisser):

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/articles/entourage.html
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I can certainly see the basis for the "lying through her teeth" comment. She stands up on stage saying how Microsoft listens to Mac users, implements features based on your feedback, etc, all the while ignoring the biggest complaint from Mac users which is full feature parity. Entourage is still a piece of crippleware when it comes to Outlook compatibility. Now they go and drop VB macro compatibility in Office 2008 while she continues to claim that Microsoft listens to Mac customers and cares about Mac support.

Check out this piece of garbage written by a "Microsoft MVP" (i.e. apologist, ass kisser):

Thats some trash there. Why the hell would we not expect Entourage to be Outlook, if Office for Windows has it? Why should we not get full feature parity? Why would we not expect a full featured replacement for Outlook if you drop Outlook? That is just plain dumb. It's as if we aren't buying OFFICE. If it's not the same, sell it as something else. How about just making them the exact same thing, just running on different OSes. Then you won't hear anymore BS from your loyal customers.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

AutoCad?

The 'we' was my wife and I, not the Mac user base.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The 'we' was my wife and I, not the Mac user base.

gotcha
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Ok. I stand corrected. Like I said, I don't really pay much attention to her because her voice and stage presence just grabs this nerve in the back of my neck and twists.

I read that article. Having not really used Outlook much, and never (that I know of) used Exchange, your points didn't come to mind automatically.

The only thing I really like about Entourage over Mail.app is the set of more powerful mail rules. I use a LOT of mail rules, and I keep wanting to see more and more in Mail.app's set. But, it's not enough to make me switch over to it...

Different needs for different folks, I guess. I'll go along for the ride with the request for a full blown Outlook for Mac, though... I know my sister would love to see that happen.

Maybe the new MBU head this time around? We can wish, anyway, eh?