Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yes or no?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    There had better be, but it's hard to say. ThinkSecret is less reliable recently, but AppleInsider's recent report sounded like educated speculation rather than insider info, so I'm not sure which one of them ought to be relied on, if either.

That there will be a Santa Rosa iMac soon is almost a guarantee. The big question is whether the Santa Rosa update will also have the new industrial design, or whether that'll have to wait for this fall or 2008. I know that I'm not buying until the iMacs get a new look since I know that's around the corner.

When that new look comes, though, I hope that it resembles the iPhone rather than just being Mac Pro-esque aluminum.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Yah! Yah!! Yah!!!

Alu iMac!

iMac Pro on the way
  • Reply 4 of 24
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    No, but they may be announced to be released along side Leopard.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Think Secret less reliable?

They were right when new Macbook Pros and Macbooks came, they just weren't sure about the details. But I jumped on the Aluminum train because I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how Apple could possibly redesign the iMac

Anyways, iMac is long overdue and there isn't anymore time before WWDC.

Sebastian

Do you know how many of the Apple acolytes will break down in buckets of tears if Steve doesn't show off the most amazing iMac ever? Of course, I'm one of 'em...
  • Reply 7 of 24
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    A slight price drop on the 20" and a better GPU is all I ask for...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Nope, something newer and actually aimed at lower budget pros.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    __mo__mo Posts: 32member
    Imac replacement I hope. Drop the I and complete the next level range of Macintosh.

Welcome, Mac.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Possible high end iMac specs:

24-inch

2.4GHz

• 2GB memory

• 500GB hard drive

• 16x DL SuperDrive (Blu-ray option?)

• NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS graphics, 256MB

Free Shipping

$1,999.00

Sleek aluminum enclosure.

New Cinema displays with similar enclosures?

Since all the Apple stores are going to be swamped with iPhone buyers, starting June 29, it might be good for the new iMacs to be in the stores by then.

Prediction: 3m iPhones are sold out on June 29, stock goes to 130 and beyond. News at 11.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Possible high end iMac specs:

24-inch

2.4GHz

? 2GB memory

? 500GB hard drive

? 16x DL SuperDrive (Blu-ray option?)

? NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS graphics, 256MB

Free Shipping

$1,999.00

Sleek aluminum enclosure.

New Cinema displays with similar enclosures?

Since all the Apple stores are going to be swamped with iPhone buyers, starting June 29, it might be good for the new iMacs to be in the stores by then.

Prediction: 3m iPhones are sold out on June 29, stock goes to 130 and beyond. News at 11.

Agree with that on the whole apart from 1 or 2 tidbits below

CPU: Think the cpu in the 24 inch might be 2.2ghz with the option to upgrade to 2.4

HDD: again, think maybe something like 300GB, 400 tops

Blu ray option?? I hope so!!!!!(they would have to incorporate HDCP compatability into the displays though)?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i can live without a radical redesign (with the possible first generation problems!) but there had better be some kind of bloody update! i'm itching to buy right now and i feel (or have convinced myself) that this powerbook g4 12" is really holding me back these days

i can tolerate waiting until july 11th for them though because that's pay day!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    dualsduals Posts: 41member
    I'm dying here. I've got an 800 mhz G4 iMac that desperately needs to be replaced. <Begging>please please please upgrade the iMac</begging>.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm sure Santa Rosa will make it's way to the iMac and the associated 4GB RAM.

Hopefully Apple will stop using expensive SODIMMs in the 20/24" iMac - there must be a ton of spare space in there.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I'm sure Santa Rosa will make it's way to the iMac and the associated 4GB RAM.

Hopefully Apple will stop using expensive SODIMMs in the 20/24" iMac - there must be a ton of spare space in there.

i'm no expert, but isn't this highly unlikely since the imac is still (excluding a major redesign) a laptop in a desktop style case?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

Very clever.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    duplicate
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

i'm no expert, but isn't this highly unlikely since the imac is still (excluding a major redesign) a laptop in a desktop style case?

iMac G5 (iSight)s used a DIMM slot.

iMac G4s had 1 SODIMM and 1 DIMM slot.

iMac G3 (slot) used DIMMs.

All they need to do is solder in a different slot.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58007
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I'll be getting a new iMac soon, COME ON ALUMINUM IMACS!!! (and new displays )
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Same here. I'm getting the new iMac, whatever it is.

30" wouldn't be that bad though, then I'd skip the HDTV for the next years...