New iMacs and multi-touch?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The cost issue right now is the issue, but don't worry, tech moves quite quickly. If Apple wait until we're old and gray like you say, Microsoft will most certainly be the innovators then. The iPhone has a lot of features this keyboard wouldn't need, that costs $499, and all the costs on existing iMac parts are coming down in price every month. I'll be saying I told you so in less then 2 years, and possibly even quite a bit sooner. There seems to be a few like 'Bergermeister' in these forums that seem to get it, with regard to the multi-touch Mac possibilities, but they are few and far between.

I'll join the crusade adding that although cost/energy consumption/etc. would indicate a standard USB keyboard connection, imagine when Apple adds a BT/wireless version. I believe that this would happen before an Apple tablet.

I ecco the dock sentiment as well. Click the dashboard "soft-key" and dashboard comes up, or same for expose, etc., plus:

App-specific key possibilities examples:

- iPhoto: play, edit, rotate, B/W, print, order prints, burn disc, etc.

- iTunes: clickwheel for volume, play, back/forward, ratings, etc.

- Finder: Get Info, connect to server, Quick Look, mail to. . .

Basically, anything that you might find in the Services menu could potentially be applied to soft function keys, or the contextual menu, for that matter. There could also be an area on the right of the keyboard that is the "shared space" if you will. depending on the app, this area could have iTunes' play back/forward, clickwheel-like, song rating space, or it could have iPhoto's quick editing functions or Garage Band's mixing thingies (sorry, not a musician)

Anyway, someone with some skills should create a mock-up of this quick so we can still present it to Steve before Monday!
  • Reply 22 of 35
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

You forgot the "Hell No!!!" option and you accidently put a Yes option.

Can a mod change this for us? kthnx.

--Next section edited (my bad!)--

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

No, I think a touchscreen phone is great. I think multi-touch is perfect for a handheld device. I don't see the point in a multi-touch computer or keyboard.

...which is why it was developed FOR A PHONE/PORTABLE and NOT FOR A COMPUTER! ...At least someone else sees this... <_<

Quote:

For the sake of argument though, could you imagine for a second that for every different app you launched in OS X, a different, optimized set of keys appeared on your keyboard's screen. Say you launch iWeb for example, all these 'back' 'forward' 'inspector' 'font' etc. buttons would appear over on the right of your keyboard, and if you move your finger across the keyboard your mouse cursor would move, wow! Your dock could replace your F-keys. If you preferred a Dvorak layout, you could change that in preferences. The advantages of this setup are too big to ignore, I hope Apple takes advantage of this technology in big ways over the next year, and not just for their phone.

Jobs said "the mouse, the clickwheel, and now Multi-touch", if Jobs thinks Multi-touch is as important as the mouse was, you might be a little surprised by what he announces this year.

I do agree, the functionality COULD be a plus, but is it really worth it for the added cost? Plus a whole slew of both machines and software that predate multi-touch would have what for these added functions? Also, Apple's really changed the computer industry quite a bit just from its portable devices, so if it simply pumps out these portables, it could be just as important... I mean, look how many of them are out there. Apple could take over the portable market even more with this. I think that's pretty important.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

..and the next and the next and the next.. till one day Apple actually DO release it when we are all old and grey, and people like you come out of the wood work to say "i said this would happen" the problem is no one will care by then.

how many keyboards has optimus sold? set the world alight yet? NOPE! cos its too danged expensive, and it will be too danged expensive for apple to upgrade a £20/28euro/$40 keyboard to one that might cost $500 AND include it with every imac/promac as part of the package, because THATS the only way they will get significant uptake on it.

THATS why it wont happen, sorry, but it wont.

I'd LIKE them to do it, and voted YES, but , not gonna happen.

I'm right there with you. Very doubtful if it does happen any time soon, has potential, but needs more developing for desktop level stuff, and costs to come down.

Quote:

The cost issue right now is the issue, but don't worry, tech moves quite quickly. If Apple wait until we're old and gray like you say, Microsoft will most certainly be the innovators then. The iPhone has a lot of features this keyboard wouldn't need, that costs $499, and all the costs on existing iMac parts are coming down in price every month. I'll be saying I told you so in less then 2 years, and possibly even quite a bit sooner. There seems to be a few like 'Bergermeister' in these forums that seem to get it, with regard to the multi-touch Mac possibilities, but they are few and far between.

Unfortunately, it's not that fast. While it may be close to being a good price for the iPhone, a multi-touch keyboard would have a much, MUCH larger screen. I'm sorry, but maybe in 5-10 years we'll have something.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Can a mod change this for us? kthnx.

...which is why it was developed FOR A PHONE and NOT FOR A COMPUTER!

Exactly. I wasn't saying otherwise.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    As for a multi-touch screen, yeah, I would be willing to pay extra for a good one because it would make my work tons easier and also put less pressure on my hands (I can catch a bouncing basketball in my palm very easily... regular keyboards get painful after a while); more, it woul enable special needs people to access the computer easily.

It doesn't need to replace the keybard; it could be an accessory to the keyboard.

I would gladly pay $399 for something like this.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

As for a multi-touch screen, yeah, I would be willing to pay extra for a good one because it would make my work tons easier and also put less pressure on my hands (I can catch a bouncing basketball in my palm very easily... regular keyboards get painful after a while); more, it woul enable special needs people to access the computer easily.

It doesn't need to replace the keybard; it could be an accessory to the keyboard.

I would gladly pay $399 for something like this.

Yes. I would absolutely hate if Apple replaced the keyboard. I like feedback when I type. However, as an accessory or an addon, bring it on.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    For those saying it isn't possible at current tech levels, didn't Microshaft just release a table that has a touch interface?

Sure, it is expensive, but it is possible and if more companies produce stuff, prices will fall rapidly.

Anybody been to a museum recently? Touch panel interactive kiosks everywhere. They buy the same hardware and just create different UIs based on the material being displayed.

The self-service gas station near my house even uses touch panels with animations and sound. They work great.

Convenience stores in Japan are mostly touch panel now (they can even be used by kids who can't graduate from high school), as are the devices they use for measuring stock.

Or is this just Japan? I thought the US was a world leader in tech...
  • Reply 27 of 35
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

For those saying it isn't possible at current tech levels, didn't Microshaft just release a table that has a touch interface?

The Surface demo was just a beta version. I believe an article I saw said it's about 3-5 years out from being commercially available, and 10 from consumer availability. Also, it wasn't touch-sensitive; there were cameras under the glass that tracked your movements. And even that was over $10,000. Even if multi-touch screen costs were on the same scale, a keyboard would be about 1/10 the size of the Surface, so that's $1,000. idk about you, but I don't want to pay a grand for a keyboard, no matter how advanced it is. Even suppose it does come as an accessory to a keyboard (much more feasible and plausible), suppose it's half the size of a keyboard, that's still $500. I don't know of anyone who would pay that much for something like that. On top of that, if the demand isn't that great, companies won't develop their software to use this multi-touch accessory. I don't honestly see this as being feasible for at the least 2 years, maybe more.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Yes. I would absolutely hate if Apple replaced the keyboard. I like feedback when I type. However, as an accessory or an addon, bring it on.

I was totally thinking this Mulit-touch keyboard could be an add-on. New iMac's could be released with a new, slim, cool design, and they could market this thing as 'the world's most advanced keyboard'. They could put it up on apple dot com, at say a stylish angle with the cord placed in a cool way. When you buy a new iMac you get the new design with a regular keyboard, and you have the option of adding this on for $399 or something. This keyboard might frighten some people off, so if they did do something like this they may not force in onto people at the start. Your computer may ship with a mouse and regular keyboard, but for $399 you have the option of upgrading into the future.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue

Even if multi-touch screen costs were on the same scale, a keyboard would be about 1/10 the size of the Surface, so that's $1,000. idk about you, but I don't want to pay a grand for a keyboard, no matter how advanced it is.

Products don't scale that way, if they did then a 2 man tent would be half the price of a four man one. In actual fact, if Apple useed the exact same technology (or similar) to Microsoft this keyboard would be more expensive than the table, ala miniaturization. This wouldn't be camera recognition though, this would cost a lot less to produce.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Okay, my two pennies:

A iMac with MultiTouch.

Computer has a optional UI that users can use and be used with apps such as the new iLife suite.

Of couse, the traditional UI can be used as well. Apples XCode, etc. will allow easy switching between the two.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    You're thinking too big. An entire keyboard that has touch input may be really nice and might be a ways in the future, but as for right now, it's just too expensive. Rather than scraping the idea, narrow it down. Why not have a panel above the keys that is a touch screen. You can still insert program specific buttons and still have a keyboard that has tactile feedback (really really want). Until prices come down, I think it'd be a great compromise.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    That's similar to the idea that Apple was playing with a couple of years ago... the entire area below the keyboard was basically a touch panel.

They might also just expand the fuctionality of the current track pad.

I still want to see a keyboardless machine to see that it can be done. To heck with cost.

• Reply 33 of 35
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganT View Post

No, I think a touchscreen phone is great. I think multi-touch is perfect for a handheld device. I don't see the point in a multi-touch computer or keyboard.

And My God please do not post the Jeff Han TED Talks video.

Fine. Try StarFire from Tog. Who's Tog? If you don't know then you probably aren't qualified to discuss what might or might not be useful for a computer interface.

http://www.asktog.com/starfire/index.html

Vinea
  • Reply 34 of 35
    I'm loving the new Multi-Touch iMacs
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Well, HP introduced a touchscreen desktop not all that long ago... the HP TouchSmart IQ770.

Granted, it's not a multi-touch design, and it has a ton of flaws: a cheap dual-core Turdion instead of a Core 2 Duo, a TV tuner that doesn't work well (I've played with one of these in person, so that's how I know), and other things (like M$ bloatware). But still, it proves that the technology is there for Apple to produce a touchscreen/multi-touch iMac.