Predictions!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    I think that #4 and 5 will make #3 more necessary. The Mini and 17 inch iMac were the low end machines.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    #4 will become the new #3 rite?
  • Reply 43 of 78
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenThousandThings View Post

Okay, I'll admit the new iMac doesn't "have to" wait for Leopard. I should have just said I think Jobs will wait.

Let's suppose that the new iMac was originally designed to showcase Leopard, as seems likely. My thinking is that, while of course Apple could have delayed the OS and still gone ahead with the new iMac, a decision was made early this year to delay both.

Note that October is the worst-case scenario for Leopard -- it could come as early as August (two months after the first "feature-complete" build for developers), though September seems more realistic.

The whole new OS + new hardware gestalt goes back to the original Macintosh release in January 1984. It's Jobs' oldest trick. I think it's possible that the new iMac is, somehow, like the original Mac. If we're right about the Finder, then the long transition to Mac OS 10 is finally complete in 10.5. The moment will be celebrated with a new iMac and, yes, a new notebook and/or laptop design. There will be hoopla, but it all depends on Leopard being ready and shipping with the machines. Otherwise, it's just another hardware release...

Bingo. I think you nailed it. The only thing that remains unclear to me is this: Was Steve's plan, then, to release new MacBooks at the end of May, new MacBook Pros early June, new iMacs and Leopard at WWDC on June 11, new iPhone on June 29. Seems like an awful lot to have planned for one month period. Why would he not have spread all that out alittle more?
  • Reply 44 of 78
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

#4 will become the new #3 rite?

No. There will be a new machine that exists beneath the standard iMacs. The 20 and 24 inch iMacs will stay available in white and just be called iMac. The new 24 and 30 inch iMacs in brushed aluminum will be called iMac Pro. So there needs to be a computer beneath the standard iMacs to replace the old 17 inch iMac and the Mac Mini.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

mac pros with the new exon chip set with more pci-e lanes and ddr2 ecc ram.

head less mid-range mac replacing the mini

Hey! This thread is predictions, not fantasy.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbookschmo View Post

One more thing...the iPony

(And you thought the iPhone was going to be big)

That is an interesting place to put the plug!!
  • Reply 47 of 78
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    I just hope they bring back the flower imac hmm Sexy!
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:

Okay, I'll admit the new iMac doesn't "have to" wait for Leopard. I should have just said I think Jobs will wait.

Let's suppose that the new iMac was originally designed to showcase Leopard, as seems likely. My thinking is that, while of course Apple could have delayed the OS and still gone ahead with the new iMac, a decision was made early this year to delay both.

Note that October is the worst-case scenario for Leopard -- it could come as early as August (two months after the first "feature-complete" build for developers), though September seems more realistic.

The whole new OS + new hardware gestalt goes back to the original Macintosh release in January 1984. It's Jobs' oldest trick. I think it's possible that the new iMac is, somehow, like the original Mac. If we're right about the Finder, then the long transition to Mac OS 10 is finally complete in 10.5. The moment will be celebrated with a new iMac and, yes, a new notebook and/or laptop design. There will be hoopla, but it all depends on Leopard being ready and shipping with the machines. Otherwise, it's just another hardware release...

I'm not sure what people mean when they say the computer is designed to "showcase" Leopard. When Apple makes new operating systems, they run on the older computers as well. Features that only run on some specialized hardware are usually mostly gimmicks and not much use to anyone. If you're referring to touch screen, etc. then that simply won't happen, IMO. Can you imagine Apple having to radically update their entire line to "feature-match" Leapord all at once? They'd have to, in your scenario, otherwise people would be buying new computers that couldn't use Leopard's full potential.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

1) Leopard secret features and release date revealed.

2) New cinema displays HDCP compliant isight built in

3) Either

- new iMacs announced with availability from end of june

OR

- small incremental iMac update to santa rosa using current design, not part of the keynote

4) Small incremental update to mac pro

- 2.66ghz base model

At best, I'd expect the iSight on Cinema displays to be an option. I doubt they'd come standard.

iMacs will not be announced with nearly a month before they're available. This would make the old models' sales drop big time. I think the current iMacs will be left alone for the most part, but possibly upgrade to the new chips to go to 2.2 and 2.4 GHz. Where they'd be pulling 2.66GHz from, idk, but as far as I know, there are no Core2Duo chips out there that fast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

Let me immortalize my predictions before the big show:

1.Leopard demonstration of all features. Steve reveals the new look of OS X, and it will be beyond our expectations. Expect a MAJOR revision that will astonish you.

2.Steve will mention that the iPhone is releasing on June 29 but go on to say that this show is about the Mac, so no more iPhone discussion today.

3.The low end iMac has been discontinued along with the Mac Mini. Steve introduces a totally new product to fill this low end gap.

4.The white iMacs remain available in 20 and 24 inch forms with upgraded specs.

5.iMac Pro is introduced in brushed aluminum in 24 and 30 inch sizes.

Thats the whole show!

I like your predictions very, very much. However, I doubt they'll fill in the percieved gap the Mac Mini will leave behind. There were talks of iMac prices falling, anyway, so I think the iMac will fall into the Mac Mini's place more or less, taking on the 'less expensive' role, while keeping its qualities of being good for any average user, with the iMac Pro filling in the gap between the iMac and the Mac Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbookschmo View Post

One more thing...the iPony

(And you thought the iPhone was going to be big)

I... wooow... but if it has the Apple logo on it, I'll get it...
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorRobert View Post

What's exactly coming for Xeon? I haven't seen anything more specific than "a 45nm shrink that is coming toward the end of the year and should offer around 15% performance improvement" and then Nehalem "in the second half of 2008, with more cores and DDR3 (which up to now hasn't provided much, but looks promising)." That's all we've got, right?

I was referring to Nehalem, so as far as I know you're right. My understanding is that it will be more than another revision of the Core microarchitecture, that it will be marketed as a whole new microarchitecture. But I don't know anything about what that really means -- the main thing I determined was that whatever it is, it is far enough in the future so as not to influence my decision to switch to a Mac Pro now.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

I'm not sure what people mean when they say the computer is designed to "showcase" Leopard. When Apple makes new operating systems, they run on the older computers as well. Features that only run on some specialized hardware are usually mostly gimmicks and not much use to anyone. If you're referring to touch screen, etc. then that simply won't happen, IMO. Can you imagine Apple having to radically update their entire line to "feature-match" Leapord all at once? They'd have to, in your scenario, otherwise people would be buying new computers that couldn't use Leopard's full potential.

I'm not sure what other people might be talking about, but I just mean it's a marketing technique Jobs and Apple have used in the past, beginning with the first Macintosh. NeXT is another example -- new computer + new system = "reality distortion field."

A new iMac sells even better with a new system running on it. The mystique of Apple's integration of hardware and software, form and function, is magnified by those two things coming together. Reality may have intervened due to delays in Leopard, but it's not far-fetched to imagine Apple (and Jobs especially) originally wanting to do this.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

At best, I'd expect the iSight on Cinema displays to be an option. I doubt they'd come standard.

iMacs will not be announced with nearly a month before they're available. This would make the old models' sales drop big time. I think the current iMacs will be left alone for the most part, but possibly upgrade to the new chips to go to 2.2 and 2.4 GHz. Where they'd be pulling 2.66GHz from, idk, but as far as I know, there are no Core2Duo chips out there that fast.

Your first two points are pretty valid. Im now warming to the idea of a very small update to the imacs and the introduction of an imac pro. I'm not too fussed personally re the displays as when i get my new mac pro im not getting an apple display (sorry but think their drastically overpriced!!!)

However, "Where they'd be pulling 2.66GHz from, idk, but as far as I know, there are no Core2Duo chips out there that fast????

Read my post again was refering to mac pro, not macbook pro. Mac pro's dont use intel zeons, and at the mo 2.2.0ghz dual core xeon, 2 x 2.66ghz dual core zeon, 2 x 3ghz dual core zeon or 2 x 3.0 quad core clovertown.

Dont think its unreasonable to expect an incremental update which uses same chipset, just upping base processor, base ram, slightly bigger HDD (eg 300GB) and new GPU's, along the line of

-ATI 2400 or NVIDIA 8500GT or 8600GT as the base card: Neither set the world alight but are new cards, hdcp compliant, relatively future proof

- ATI 2900 or NVIDIA 8800 ultra as the mid card

- NVidia 5600 quatro as the high end card
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

Read my post again was refering to mac pro, not macbook pro.

my bad ^^;
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:

Leopard: Major changes to the Finder, in terms of both design and usage.

Seems very possible. If you've ever seen a previous developer version of Leopard you have been very disappointed by the lame look and feel and almost no changes of the finder. It seems very possible that the finder Apple is really working on has been kept under wraps so that it won't offer too much inspiration to Redmond. And, for the first time, the real new finder will be presented on Monday...
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yankeedoodle View Post

Seems very possible. If you've ever seen a previous developer version of Leopard you have been very disappointed by the lame look and feel and almost no changes of the finder. It seems very possible that the finder Apple is really working on has been kept under wraps so that it won't offer too much inspiration to Redmond. And, for the first time, the real new finder will be presented on Monday...

Honestly, I completely expect at least notable Finder changes, if not total overhaul/redesign. It's kinda a combination of that leak that Leopard is adopting ZFS (supposedly), as well as others' guesses, and that ever-present "feeling" that it's gonna happen.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member

yup, that's the one more thing.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    jtaylr77jtaylr77 Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

yup, that's the one more thing.

certainly would open up a whole new client base. Just one size or will it be like the ipod line up....nano,full-size, and the unpredicktable shuffle?
  • Reply 58 of 78
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Apple will merge with google. Then after they combine they wil ban the internet from windows based computers.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    I only just now saw the Think Secret story from the 7th about new iMacs. Sounds convincing.

I still think the original plan was to release them (Leopard and the new iMac) together, but after it became clear that Leopard would not be ready by early August they changed the date of WWDC and pushed up the release of the new iMac to happen then (i.e., this Monday). I guess there was no longer any reason to hold it back.

Certainly "iMac Pro" sounds right. And obviously "iMac" will continue on the lower end. I tend to think they will keep 17" and 20" as iMac (with a bump) and go 24" for the new iMac Pro. There is a significant price jump right now between 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 widescreen displays, so it makes sense to divide the two iMac lines at that point. I'm a bit dubious about the rumored 30" (2560 x 1600) iMP model, but why not?!
  • Reply 60 of 78
    I want new iMacs and displays that match them, that is all.