Now that the new MBP is out, let's talk about the next one!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So what are you expecting in the next update (new case design!!,) what are you wishing for, and when do you expect the next update? More significant than this past one?

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wawaxwawax Posts: 10member
    on the next product of Apple, i'm expecting about full touch control at mouse section area

so, the trackpad is as big as entire keyboard below, with display

somehow it's look like Nintendo DS, but is fun right, the control is bigger and beautiful

how's that?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Penryn Mobile- Quad Core top end model.

WiMax

HD optical drive

DisplayPort output

Dual Gigabit ports

Firewire 1600/eSATA ports

Sub notebook(MiniBook) uses a 12" OLED screen.

32GB of SSD memory mated to 1" drive for MiniBook

Docking station with optical drive.

Expresscard/34 slot

Built in handle

• Reply 3 of 19
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    I expect that the update after the update after the current update they will have put in a MacBook style keyboard and magnetic latch. It will probably also be faster than the previous model. Most likely it will be aluminum. I would expect it to be some time within a couple of months to somewhere within a year or longer, maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Penryn Mobile- Quad Core top end model.

WiMax

HD optical drive

DisplayPort output

Dual Gigabit ports

Firewire 1600/eSATA ports

penryn quad-core - nice! but a bit optimistic?

HD dual format -R/W (wishful thinking!)

Firewire - really needs to be somehow plug compatible with 400 &/or 800

eSATA - can't believe i'm saying it (was a sceptic several motnths ago), but need it. i can then use the Express Card slot for a Black Magic Intensity card (with Expresscard/34 slot adapter, of course - unless BM decide to support notebooks <hint>).

graphics - Motion 3 is a bit sluggish on our Quad G5s w. 256MB graphics, hopefully 512MB (even if it is the mobile version) will be able to churn thru it...

i quite like the recent updates, but it feels as though it's a stepping stone to something nice in Jan...
  • Reply 5 of 19
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I expect the next MBP speedbump to coincide with the release of Leopard and to include higher resolution displays and slightly faster processors. 800MHz DDR3 memory would be nice if Intel adds support for it to Santa Rosa (disabled at the last minute due to stability issues). I don't expect any other changes this year.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    musltngbluemusltngblue Posts: 303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wawax View Post

on the next product of Apple, i'm expecting about full touch control at mouse section area

so, the trackpad is as big as entire keyboard below, with display

somehow it's look like Nintendo DS, but is fun right, the control is bigger and beautiful

how's that?

no, see Sebastian's post.

and the design you describe is somewhat like the MacBook is. Apple will keep an industrial design with metal or metal-looking materials, to get the idea across that it is a powerhouse among laptops.

I will comment directly in the quote for Mr. hmurchison.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Penryn Mobile- Quad Core top end model. <--Quad? A little optimistic, maybe two from now.

WiMax <--Still has issues that are being worked out. I'd say three from now.

HD optical drive <--Perhaps as an add-on option. They won't be standard at least until all BMP screens are full HD, probably at the soonest, two from now.

DisplayPort output

Dual Gigabit ports

Firewire 1600/eSATA ports <--Must have FW 400/800 too for functionality's sake.

Sub notebook(MiniBook) uses a 12" OLED screen. <--NO OLED YET!!! Few sub-notebook buyers will want to pay an extra $1,000 for OLED. I fully expect, however, LED displays.

32GB of SSD memory mated to 1" drive for MiniBook

Docking station with optical drive. [/b]<--Maybe, however, it seems un-Apple to me. Maybe an external Apple firewire drive.[/b]

Expresscard/34 slot

Built in handle <--possibly, but I doubt it. It would make too much of an awkward design; there's already limited space that's tough to come by, why take up more?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No. No. And Hell No!

As long as a touch screen cannot provide tactile feedback, and as long as apps are still designed for the Keyboard and mouse I don't want a multi touch screen anywhere near my keyboard.

Sebastian

Amen, bro.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    s.asads.asad Posts: 51member
    Multi-touch on MBP is still a ways off.

Quads are not.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.asad View Post

Multi-touch on MBP is still a ways off.

Quads are not.

Got any source for the quads coming?

Not to mention that most software still does not take much advantage of dual-core processors, what makes you think quad-core will do much better? The only reason for going ahead with it would be as a gimmick to people who don't know better. If you shoot back that the Mac Pro has up to 8 cores, that's true, but it has four chips - two cores per chip. A quad-core single chip won't boost performance much if the program you're using doesn't code to take advantage of it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    We're talkin' MWSF 08 here. By that time OLED, BluRay/HDDVD, and Flash HDD will be much cheaper and might be standard. Most software will have been made multi CPU aware by then.

I do expect that a quad core CPU will be an option with Penryn. Hopefully AMD will throw some of their 65nm FABs at their Graphics Arm so we can get some nice cool running Graphics Cards for notebooks.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

We're talkin' MWSF 08 here. By that time OLED, BluRay/HD-DVD

OLED won't come down that quickly. It's still gonna be pretty pricey. BluRay/HD-DVD is a possibility, but I wouldn't say it will be in there until all the MBPs have full HD displays standard. I think MW will bring the 17" standard high (HD) resolution, but the 15" will only get it as an option. Then at or near WWDC '08, we'll possibly see it standard on the 15".
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

Got any source for the quads coming?

Not to mention that most software still does not take much advantage of dual-core processors, what makes you think quad-core will do much better? The only reason for going ahead with it would be as a gimmick to people who don't know better. If you shoot back that the Mac Pro has up to 8 cores, that's true, but it has four chips - two cores per chip. A quad-core single chip won't boost performance much if the program you're using doesn't code to take advantage of it.

http://www.intel.com/technology/arch...re/45nm_core2/

Quote:

In the second half of 2007, Intel will begin production of the next generation Intel® Core™2 processor family codenamed "Penryn" which is based on our industry-leading 45-nanometer (nm) Hi-k metal gate process technology and latest microarchitecture enhancements...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2955

Quote:

According to Intel, more than fifteen 45nm Hi-k product designs are in various stages of development, and Intel will have two 45nm manufacturing fabs in production by the end of the year, with a total of four in production by the second half of 2008.

Honestly the quad core penryn mobile won't be here until 2008 would be the safest guess. Even if you have an application that doesn't support multi-core it'll still benefit from the frameworks it uses and other core OS technology supporting multi-core. In this context however, we are talking about the "next" MBP upgrade which is undoubtedly coming after Leopards launch and thus your statements about multi-core not being well supported will most decidely ring false.

Leopard has facilities for assigning priorities and dependencies far above what Tiger has. This API appears to be fairly simple (relatively) for developers to utilize.

Penryn has an improved snoop filter which now can manage the caches of 4 distinct cores (today's Quad procs have filters that only really manage 2-cores)

Thus when you combine the improvements in multi-core support within Leopard and improvements in architecture in the Penryn line the efficacy of multi-core system will take a substantial jump forward.

I'd gladly take a 4-core laptop over a dual-core price permitting.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No. No. And Hell No!

As long as a touch screen cannot provide tactile feedback...

what is with everyone needing tactile feedback? has anyone here worked on the tills in a shop? if the answer is yes, read on, if the answer is no, give up reading.. anyone here worked on tills with touch screen displays? well, i have, unfortunately, and they work just fine. i found that i could punch in codes quicker than on a conventional keyboard. and tactile feedback isnt really an issue.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    It seems like many people here expect the next speedbump at MWSF 08. I would have expected one earlier. What is the history of MBP speedbumps?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Compared to what some of you are asking for, my stuff seems really underwhelming...

I want a magnetic latch, a real 10-key pad (I despise using the one on the MBP), and SSD as an option (assuming it's not too expensive)
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It seems like many people here expect the next speedbump at MWSF 08. I would have expected one earlier. What is the history of MBP speedbumps?

What new mobile CPUs are coming out before MWSF 08? Look at Intel's roadmap and Apple's will follow pretty close.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Compared to what some of you are asking for, my stuff seems really underwhelming...

I want a magnetic latch, a real 10-key pad (I despise using the one on the MBP), and SSD as an option (assuming it's not too expensive)
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I know I'm a broken record around here, but I REALLY want Apple to incorporate Integrated Sensing Display technology into the MBP. To me, video conferencing is bunk unless you can look the other person in the eye -

Star Trek thought so... Spaceballs thought so... The Jetsons thought so...

The top-o-the-screen iSight is just a stop gap for the real technology. Integrated Sensing Technology... let's hear it!

(link to Apple's patent)
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Spaceballs thought so...

haha... first thing to come to mind was "I told you to never call me on this wall! This is an unlisted wall!"