Return of male action hero?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
After a mostly fruitless flirtation with demi-heroes, female action heroes, and comic book superheroes, I'm glad to see some movies that need not be more complicated than "kick ass." At the top of my head are examples "300," Rocky 6, and the new Die Hard flick. I find it funny that the genre has been supressed long enough that there aren't enough convincing male actors out there to play action heroes aside from the same, old ones who have been around forever.

Despite the glut of female action hero movies, I can only think of one actress who's made anything of it: Milla. She's the Arnold of the past 10, 12 years. I have to say that I like Milla.

I also like Wesley Snipes in the Blade movies, but Blade is not so much an action hero movie.

I am looking forward to the new Die Hard, but I'm not sure. . . I would rather have something fresh than a rehashed diamond of the 80's. I would like to see Vin Diesel in some solid, action movies. Is it too late for him?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Is it too late for him?

Yes. Far, far, far too late.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Tell me you didn't say Vin Diesel. No way will he ever be an action hero, he is in the same league as The Rock (whose real name is Dwayne ).

I actually like Jason Stratham as more of a Bond-style action hero. The Transporter movies are pretty stupid but I liked Revolver. I actually would have preferred to see him than Daniel Craig in the recent James Bond film.

Unfortunately, I can't see someone else replacing Swarzenegger, he's one of a kind. Though they made a good go at it in a film called The Marine. It actually has the cop from Terminator 2 in it. The guy who plays the muscle-bound hero doesn't have the personality of Arnie though.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Tell me you didn't say Vin Diesel. No way will he ever be an action hero, he is in the same league as The Rock (whose real name is Dwayne ).

I actually like Jason Stratham as more of a Bond-style action hero. The Transporter movies are pretty stupid but I liked Revolver. I actually would have preferred to see him than Daniel Craig in the recent James Bond film.

Unfortunately, I can't see someone else replacing Swarzenegger, he's one of a kind. Though they made a good go at it in a film called The Marine. It actually has the cop from Terminator 2 in it. The guy who plays the muscle-bound hero doesn't have the personality of Arnie though.

Dude...I LOVED Daniel Craig. Shut up!
  • Reply 4 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Die Hard 4 looks really really bad.

It's like they swapped out the over-the-top stunts from a Vin Diesel movie and called the character John McClaine instead.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Vin Diesel was in Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black, where he was sort of the action hero. Wasn't there supposed to be a 3rd installment to that series?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Vin Diesel was in Chronicles of Riddick and Pitch Black, where he was sort of the action hero. Wasn't there supposed to be a 3rd installment to that series?

Supposedly. They are produced by Vin Diesel himself, so you'll have to ask him. Pitch Black was low budget, Chronicles was OK if you like sci-fi -- if you don't get Sci-Fi, you won't like it, but it was an alright movie. It was certainly no more stupid than the "Lord of the Rings" movies OR books. I would watch the third Riddick movie. Vin Diesel isn't a great actor, but I don't really think he is any worse than a younger Mel or Bruce. He just happened to show up at a time where no one wanted to put forward the money necessary to make a good action-hero movie. The acting is less important than the script and the spectacle.

Arnold was one of a kind, but I wouldn't say there will ever be someone else out there to fill his shoes. Arnold succeeded Charlton Heston and Clint Eastwood. Someone else will eventually come along that will play the same roles Arnold did.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    @_@ artman@_@ artman Posts: 5,231member

No milla pics? Ultraviolet wasn't the greatest. But Milla...
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Dude...I LOVED Daniel Craig. Shut up!

You're telling me you'd prefer sticky-out ears, big bottom-lipped Daniel Craig to Jason Statham?

Ok, he has a receding hair-line, which ain't good for the young Bond but so did Sean Connery so quite a fitting tribute I would have thought if he was made to wear a wig. His accent doesn't fit either but it could be fixed (Brosnan is Irish) and even after all that, I still think he'd be better than Daniel Craig. I'd say Craig was the 3rd best Bond behind Connery and Brosnan but I think there is a big gap. I don't remember much about the film at all and I've watched it about 3 times. I remember more about the bad guy with the scar and the girl than Bond and its supposed to be the other way round.

I can't think of many female action heroes. I'd say that Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider is quite good but the girls still look fragile and sexy. I can't help but think a proper female hero would have to be some butch lesbian.
  • Reply 9 of 22
  • Reply 10 of 22
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
  • Reply 11 of 22

• Reply 12 of 22
    Sigourney Weaver is not attractive at all and that Elektra girl is nothing compared to Jessica:

but like I say, they're not really action heroes because they are sexy and fragile. When you do get the action type, they look like Sigourney or the woman from Terminator and they are complete turn-offs. I'd say Jovovich is probably the only one who can be rough but remain attractive.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Yeah, but every time I think of Ms. Alba can't help but think of a certain photo. It cracks me up everytime. I'm going to externally link it in order to build up the suspense.

Link

Yes, it is indeed her.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    There were better pictures from that day.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Perhaps, but I'll be damned if this thread gets hijacked with more Alba pictures. Action heroes only.

However, this requirement, as we've determined, does not prevent Milla pictures from being posted.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Yeah, but every time I think of Ms. Alba can't help but think of a certain photo.

Google alba see-through. Those are the pictures I think about. But yeah these ones are pretty good too. Wedgy anyone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by splinemodel

Perhaps, but I'll be damned if this thread gets hijacked with more Alba pictures. Action heroes only.

Hmmm, actually now I think about it, Alba seems like an action hero to me .
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You're telling me you'd prefer sticky-out ears, big bottom-lipped Daniel Craig to Jason Statham?

Ok, he has a receding hair-line, which ain't good for the young Bond but so did Sean Connery so quite a fitting tribute I would have thought if he was made to wear a wig. His accent doesn't fit either but it could be fixed (Brosnan is Irish) and even after all that, I still think he'd be better than Daniel Craig. I'd say Craig was the 3rd best Bond behind Connery and Brosnan but I think there is a big gap. I don't remember much about the film at all and I've watched it about 3 times. I remember more about the bad guy with the scar and the girl than Bond and its supposed to be the other way round.

I can't think of many female action heroes. I'd say that Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider is quite good but the girls still look fragile and sexy. I can't help but think a proper female hero would have to be some butch lesbian.

Totally disagree. Craig was gritty, sophisticated and cool. The whole movie was great. and let me tell you about Eva Green, whom I would gladly fuck six ways from Sunday.

Lord Almighty. But...ahem...back on topic. I thought Craig was great...and I'm not sure I expected him to be. To me, he's in second behind Connery. Roger Moore and he are damn close.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think this summer the best action heros will be alien robots that turn into vehicles.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I think this summer the best action heros will be alien robots that turn into vehicles.

Agreed. I hear they will "Transform" themselves into things like a giant gun or possibly an airplane. Now if we only had a name. Hmm.

Perhaps "The Transmogrifiers?"
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Agreed. I hear they will "Transform" themselves into things like a giant gun or possibly an airplane. Now if we only had a name. Hmm.

Perhaps "The Transmogrifiers?"

I hear that's what they were going to call it, but then they realized they'd have to pay large royalties to Bill Watterson in order to make it happen.