iMac Memory questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Did search the forum but no direct answers so:

1. If I get an iMac from say an Amazon, so I can't upgrade the memory at purchase they give me two 512 chips. Rather than toss them both can I pull 1 and replace with a 2 GB - so I have 2.5 - or is there some balancing issue?

2. I assume that replacing iMac memory is relatively easy to do? While not generally fussing around in computers I have replaced boards and memory in a Dell and a HD for a Tivo so assuming it doesn't require special tools I am guessing it is no harder?

Thanks for any insight .. thinking of waiting for WWDC if the new iMac comes out will hit Amazon and upgrade my second computer with an "older" model that will probably immediately have a $75-100 discount. Then wait a month or two and upgrade the primary one with the new iMac. Let's hope TS is right!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    1. Unlike the Mac Pro, the iMac does not require memory to be installed in pairs (something I've never understood and would like an explanation of myself). So yes, you can do as you suggest.

2. Yes, it is very easy. There are three screws (Phillips) on the bottom edge of the iMac. The do not come out but remain attached after releasing so you do not lose them (nice detail). Pop the back off by hinging upward toward top edge. From there, you can see everything, and installation is as you are accustomed.

I would never buy any product on the verge of an Apple event. You are wise to wait.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

1. Unlike the Mac Pro, the iMac does not require memory to be installed in pairs (something I've never understood and would like an explanation of myself).

It's a drawback of how the FB-DIMMs operate.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keenspoon View Post

Did search the forum but no direct answers so:

1. If I get an iMac from say an Amazon, so I can't upgrade the memory at purchase they give me two 512 chips. Rather than toss them both can I pull 1 and replace with a 2 GB - so I have 2.5 - or is there some balancing issue?

2. I assume that replacing iMac memory is relatively easy to do? While not generally fussing around in computers I have replaced boards and memory in a Dell and a HD for a Tivo so assuming it doesn't require special tools I am guessing it is no harder?

Thanks for any insight .. thinking of waiting for WWDC if the new iMac comes out will hit Amazon and upgrade my second computer with an "older" model that will probably immediately have a $75-100 discount. Then wait a month or two and upgrade the primary one with the new iMac. Let's hope TS is right!

I've looking into this myself. The only problem is that since yu don't have the same sized modules, you will loose the double data rate you have now. I think the better option is to get two 1 GB sticks.