Jobs says "don't go to an Apple store" for iPhone

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I do keep pointing it out, but no one listens!

http://www.clearwire.com/

Thanks for the link. I tend to read your post , melgross, and I don't recall you ever posting about this.

I found the WIkipedia llink to be much more informative.

I'm checking out their stock on NASDAQ. Maybe I'll buy they have dropped significantly since arriving on the exchange 3 months ago, but it does seem promising. More research to follow before buying....
  • Reply 62 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks for the link. I tend to read your post , melgross, and I don't recall you ever posting about this.

I'm checking out their stock on NASDAQ. Maybe I'll buy they have dropped significantly since arriving on the exchange 3 months ago, but it does seem promising. More research to follow before buying....

I've posted a bunch of times, and even linked the site.

I bought the IPO the second day. I rarely buy the first day, as the price almost always drops. So I got in at about 22. It has gone to 17, or so, but has come back to about 19.5.

I think they have a good shot. An expression in the cable industry is "Don't bet against Craig McCaw."

The IPO was about a month ago, just before Apple started its recent sharp (and, unexpected by me) rise.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

This is about the time that someone points out how WiMax is on the horizon, despite it still being on the horizon after 4 years.

That's kinda the problem. \

• Reply 64 of 93
    Quote:

Ok! Here we go!!!

As I was saying:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ith-wimax.html
  • Reply 65 of 93
    Quote:

Ok! Here we go!!!

As I was saying:

Thanks for the info. I think I might just buy some Clearwire stock tomorrow.

If Intel can get WiMax in Montevina in 2008 then I see an even bigger potential for this being successful.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Quote:

Thanks for the info. I think I might just buy some Clearwire stock tomorrow.

If Intel can get WiMax in Montevina in 2008 then I see an even bigger potential for this being successful.

Yeah, I do too.

Funny my broker (and friend), just called em up a few minutes ago. He thinks that the indusrty is about to take off, as there are other players about to move into it.

I said that when there are other companies involved, it will give the industry validation. He agreed.

To tell the truth though, it did come at a bad time. The IPO came just as apple was about to go into turbo stock mode. I didn't think we would see these levels until later in the year. If I had any idea, I would have bought more Apple instead, and then thought about Clearwire once things settled down.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Yeah, I do too.

Funny my broker (and friend), just called em up a few minutes ago. He thinks that the indusrty is about to take off, as there are other players about to move into it.

I said that when there are other companies involved, it will give the industry validation. He agreed.

To tell the truth though, it did come at a bad time. The IPO came just as apple was about to go into turbo stock mode. I didn't think we would see these levels until later in the year. If I had any idea, I would have bought more Apple instead, and then thought about Clearwire once things settled down.

I've been playing around at Investopedia... if I had invested real money instead of 'pretend' money in AAPL at Investopedia I would have picked up an easy $12,000 over the past month.

Gonna look further into Clearwire tho'...
  • Reply 68 of 93
    Quote:

Yeah, I do too.

Their solution for notebooks isn't very elegant, but I guess it's as good as it can get at this time. It would be nice to have Wimax ExpressCards, or even USB options so long as it didn't require an external power source.

Clearwire notebook installation setup
  • Reply 69 of 93
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Ok! Here we go!!!

As I was saying:

Mel,

If Clearwire has so much upside potential, why did AT&T sell the 2.5 GHz specctrum for the paltry sum of $300M? This amount seems like a pittance for WiMAX access to 223 million people. Is there something flawed about the 2.5 GHz spectrum? Does Sprint have the upper hand at 2.5 Ghz? Or Something else like other frequencies are superior in the WiMAX game ?

Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks,
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

If Clearwire has so much upside potential, why did AT&T sell the 2.5 GHz specctrum for the paltry sum of $300M?

According to Wikipedia, AT&T had to sell the spectrum as a condition of the merger with BellSouth. As for the price, maybe AT&T also became an investor (like Intel and Motorola are) or AT&T was hitting a deadline and needed to get a quick sale.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    Quote:

Their solution for notebooks isn't very elegant, but I guess it's as good as it can get at this time. It would be nice to have Wimax ExpressCards, or even USB options so long as it didn't require an external power source.

Clearwire notebook installation setup

I've heard that there will be a WiMax card coming. I'm not sure when though.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

Mel,

If Clearwire has so much upside potential, why did AT&T sell the 2.5 GHz specctrum for the paltry sum of $300M? This amount seems like a pittance for WiMAX access to 223 million people. Is there something flawed about the 2.5 GHz spectrum? Does Sprint have the upper hand at 2.5 Ghz? Or Something else like other frequencies are superior in the WiMAX game ?

Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks,

solipsism already gave the amswer.

They were allowed to keep a small amount, in certain areas, as they already had customers there. But, they will have to give it up if they don't have 25% served after some time, the length of which I don't remember.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    ooza227ooza227 Posts: 11member
    that would be funny...
  • Reply 74 of 93
    Quote:

Yeah, I do too.

Last week I bought more AAPL instead of CLWR. I'd be up over 5% if I had purchased the latter. I'm hoping that today's event, the following week's iPhone launch and other things in Apple's pipeline will make my choice more beneficial that it is looking right now.

By my reckoning, I'm expecting CLWR to fall a couple dollars before finally exploding later this year. For my sake, I hope I made the right choice.
  • Reply 75 of 93
    Quote:

Last week I bought more AAPL instead of CLWR. I'd be up over 5% if I had purchased the latter. I'm hoping that today's event, the following week's iPhone launch and other things in Apple's pipeline will make my choice more beneficial that it is looking right now.

By my reckoning, I'm expecting CLWR to fall a couple dollars before finally exploding later this year. For my sake, I hope I made the right choice.

I'm holding on to mine. right now (realtime) it's $19.88.

Today, Apple has been variable. From a low of $123.75, to a high of $126.15. It's been trending down since then. Right now it's ranging between $124.14 to $124.30, though after reaching that low of #124.14, ut been trending slightly upwards, but just by that few cents.

I don't know why the movement has occured yet.

What we will see later is very dependent on what happens during the presentation. That will point the price of the stock to the end of the month when the iPhone is released, which will then take the price over.

We have to hope that whatever Jobs says today will be more than dense internal 10.5 improvements. something flashy for the non-technically inclined developers should be given.

But, one thing I would like to see, would be virtualization of OS X server. Running multiple copies of the server is one of the most requested features of Apple from business. Without that, esp. today, in a world of multiple cpu machines, Server stands no chance of being more widely adopted. While THAT may not seem to be flashy, institutional investors, who own 79% of Apple's stock, would take notice.
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Now, it's beginning to move up further. It's #124.48, and apparently rising.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    It's now moving up rapidle. Already to $124.80

The NASD is continuing to rise as well.

I'm going to watch it during the presentation, but unless it moves much, I won't bother to report it.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    With the game announcements, the stock began to rise quickly. It's now $125.70.
  • Reply 79 of 93
    Well, as jobs is almost finished with Leopard, I can say that the investment community isn't too impressed. The stock has dropped back down to $124.35.

We'll see if anything else to day makes an impression.
  • Reply 80 of 93