Return to Castle Wolfenstein + PB G3/500

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I went to the Apple Retail Store in Salem, NH today, fully intending to buy Return to Castle Wolfenstein today, when I looked at the requirements and saw that it wants a Power Mac G3/G4 (500 MHz), iMac (500 MHz), or 'PowerBook G4' or higher.

What gives? I have a PowerBook G3/500 with plenty of RAM and enough hard drive space, so why should it not work?

The PowerBook has the same 8 MB graphics card as the PowerBook G4 (1st gen), sho why should this not work on my machine?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    OpenGL is optimized for G4's and G4's have a better FPU. This leads to about 30% better performance on G4's under OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    blah blah blah

i run it on a g3 450 b&w, however i do have a pci radeon 32mb DDR

my fps range from 10-100

usually in the 20-50ish range

i have just about everything turned off, except high quality skies and 32bit color, i run it at 1024x768

i'd say go for it, it won't look beautifull, 8mb is pretty skimpy but go ahead and try.. try out the multiplayer demo first, see how that runs, and then buy the game if all is good
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I want to get it, but was hoping others had experience with the same setup.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Try the demo.. it should perform exactly like the full version would.

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by robo:

<strong>Try the demo.. it should perform exactly like the full version would.</strong><hr></blockquote>Was the demo ever updated?

Last I remember, the demo used Omni and Graeme's code base for a Cocoa version. The GM by Westlake is a major rewrite into Carbon. They perform similarly, but I wouldn't say they are exactly the same.

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the demo is nothing like the full shipping version. The demo was sloooooooow. Even on a pc it was.

I was curious to know what the performance youd be on an iBook 600 too. 384mb ram blah blah blah.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I give up. Where do I get the Mac version of the demo. I can only find the PC version.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    <a href="http://www.macgamefiles.com"; target="_blank">www.macgamefiles.com</a>
  • Reply 9 of 11
    guitarblokeguitarbloke Posts: 125member
    OSX has a nasty tendency to crash when using 8Mb video cards under OpenGL; iMac users running Q3A will know exactly what I mean.....Giants and the Tribes engine do the same; basically, too many textures and the card folds.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jonasvdljonasvdl Posts: 12member
    hey, i run it on a g3 350 with an ati rage.

i have 400 mb ram but i bought it just lately after i bought rtcw

it runs fine even with all the graphics at max.

greetings
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jonasvdljonasvdl Posts: 12member
    and the reasons why there are no demo's because there was an multiplayer demo but it doesnt work anymore they have got it of the internet.

for the rest i finished the game so if you have any questions i can awnser them,

i even have a cheat program.

that was after i finnised the game.

greetings