Apple to release Safari browser for Windows

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I have Safari on my PC now and I can see why Apple have done this.

Smart move I think.
  • Reply 22 of 127
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Where's the public beta for the Mac version?

It makes sense for porting Safari to Windows. Too many websites are still incompatible (along with corporate intranets) with Safari.

its there. just have a look lol
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

Apparently my computer "does not meet the requirements" for the beta

According to the system requirements, a G4 iBook running 10.4.9 should work. Strange.

I have a G4 PB running 10.4.9 and got it to run. Took forever to install. Took almost as long to launch the first time. It's slow, does not use Safari Extender (not that I expected it too) and over-writes the old version of Safari (uh not a good idea with Beta software and I was pretty miffed at this - not as miffed as our friend a few posts up - but miffed non the less).

I say just download Camino and don't worry about Safari 3.0.....
  • Reply 24 of 127
    That's nice and all, but I don't even use Safari on my Mac....

That being said, Safari will likely be better than IE - although I still have to use IE for a lot of things that use ActiveX (like some of our client server software).

Can't believe this was the "one more thing"......
  • Reply 25 of 127
    What a waste of a "One more thing!" It's exciting news, yes, but this is going to ruin my taste for "one more things" in the future. Next MWSF...

Steve: "One more thing..."

Crowd: "oh shit, hit the deck, not another Core Audio update! Here goes AAPL through the roof, buy buy buy!"

-Clive
  • Reply 26 of 127
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iPhone people.

Delivering iPhone apps means you have to be able to test in a suitable browser. That browser is Safari.

Unbelievable that some just don't get the significance of this. You are right on. The buzz here is euphoric. Lots of opportunities. Steve has come through again.

One anecdotal comment, "Let the naysayes vet their shit. More for us."

Safari 3 being downloads. Guys trying or want to create widgets on the spot. Love the idea of Safari for Windows. Expect a lot more Apple apps could crack the PC market or better yet, destroy it.
  • Reply 27 of 127
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

just downloaded the safari demo... didnt tell me that it would delete the current version i have would be removed from my computer!!!!!!! FOR FUKES SAKE APPLE!!!!!!! I WANT MY SAFARI BACK!!! YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!

Use the included uninstaller. It restores your "current version".

- Xidius
  • Reply 28 of 127
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Well, I was only a little off. I said that WWDC would be 90% Leopard and 10% 3rd party apps for iPhone, and it ended up being 80% Leopard, 10% 3rd party apps for iPhone, and 10% Safari for Windows.

I think Safari for Windoze is cool, too. Anything that helps loosen IE's stranglehold on the web, even a little, is great. Knock their marketshare down and get the lazier web designers to stop designing sites with only IE in mind.

• Reply 29 of 127
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

There are cash flow consequences, though. You just have to look a lil' harder.

With the new Leopard Finder working very similarly to iTunes ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/...es/finder.html ), potential Windows switchers will already know how to use a Mac, and will be more likely to switch. And if they're already using Safari on Windows, they'll obviously be able to jump over to OS X Safari without missing a beat.

It's all about increasing potential switchers' comfort level with the Mac. Which is super-important, because about half of all Mac sales nowadays are to switchers. Increasing switcher sales further would seem to be very 'bottom line', eh?

I think you're telling me that some users are in a place where (other than for some useful functionality, e.g., built-in spell-check) their comfort with an operating system (and hence, decision to switch) is enhanced by one point-and-click software (Safari) compared to another (IE).

Please pardon me, but that's a stretch.

Most people at that level of computer literacy already have a Mac if they could afford it. And, if they couldn't, they still probably can't, so switching is unlikely. Others who are/were potential switchers have already experienced the Mac look-and-feel from iTunes and iPods and have had their appetite for a Mac whetted by that experience. They wouldn't need Safari.

Bottom line: I don't think the use of Safari is going to amount to much from a switching standpoint.
  • Reply 30 of 127
    The availability of Safari on the PC is, at best, of second-order importance to me as a Mac user and Apple shareholder (yeah, yeah, I understand the iPhone connection and the fact more sites may become Safari-firendly etc; but it's all still second-order).

Zero cash flow consequences. (Now, if he had announced something like "iLife for Windows for $89" that would have been a blockbuster from the stock price standpoint.....)

I hope the developers got something out of this. As a lay person, I was quite bored and disappointed by the WWDC. Wasted appearance by Steve.

• Reply 31 of 127
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm pretty unexcited by Safari for Windows. While it may make sense strategically fro Apple, how is that a 'one more thing' for Mac aficionados? As well I don't think it will do all that well. IE 7 isn't to bad and FF is quite good. What's the big reason to switch?
  • Reply 32 of 127
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koskar View Post

windows version crashes on any and all bookmark operations....

anyone or just me?

Upon startup, a dialog appears asking me for a Name/Password. I assume it is for my company's proxy. Anyway, putting in my company ID/PW, causes a crash. Useless for me at work.

Also, part of the dialog is the checkmark to "Remember this password in my keychain" Um, keychain on Windows too?
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Actually it wasn't there when he posted it, it took a while for them to update the safari pages on apple.com

Yeah, I have the same problem and I've seen many postings already saying this. The windows install worked fine, but it looks like the OSX version has a problem. They better fix it fast, that's a major embarrassment for the company.

This is what I was looking for - Safari 3.0 didn't install on my brand-new (July 2002) Powerbook G4... I wondered when I would be left in the dust.

5 years ain't bad, really. For a Windows user, all I would be able to use at this point would be AOL (maybe)... and probably the "You've Got Mail" sound wouldn't even play, but rather "You are obsolete!"

But it may be a little embarrassing for the company nonetheless.
  • Reply 34 of 127
    Wow! Time travel on AI! My reply to TBaggins (whose post was at 3.08 PM), appeared at 2.47 PM!

• Reply 35 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I dunno, maybe my old Safari had gotten really bogged down, somehow, but.....damn.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    PS- Thought it was really subversive and cool how the new Leopard Finder was based off of iTunes.

That means the 300 million or so Windows users who've dloaded iTunes for Windows are already most of the way towards knowing how use the Leopard Finder, and will be more comfortable in switching to the Mac.

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

• Reply 37 of 127
    Here's the verdict on the cash flow consequences: a $5 drop in share price. Doesn't get more direct than that!

• Reply 38 of 127
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Apparently my computer "does not meet the requirements" for the beta

According to the system requirements, a G4 iBook running 10.4.9 should work. Strange.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    bizmacbizmac Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm pretty unexcited by Safari for Windows. While it may make sense strategically fro Apple, how is that a 'one more thing' for Mac aficionados? As well I don't think it will do all that well. IE 7 isn't to bad and FF is quite good. What's the big reason to switch?

Very fast...using it and it is as fast as opera.

Now why using it except speed for I do not know...for macfans on windows...
  • Reply 40 of 127
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

PS- Thought it was really subversive and cool how the new Leopard Finder was based off of iTunes.

That means the 300 million or so Windows users who've dloaded iTunes for Windows are already most of the way towards knowing how use the Leopard Finder, and will be more comfortable in switching to the Mac.

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

I agree. Integrating the most popular music player UI into your Finder is very insidious.