WWDC07 or MWSF07: Which is worse?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Although MWSF marked the begin of a decline in Apple, as far as true quality of content, WWDC takes the cake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Surely this is a no-contest? Sure, there was no Mac news at MW which was a bit disappointing, but the iPhone was introduced.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    halcyonhalcyon Posts: 36member
    Come next January and there'll better be a lot of new products

I think the fact that Apple is now fully tied to Intel release schedule is finally starting to show.

Maybe in future they'll start moving MWSF and WWDC around to better track the Intel time pacing schedule
  • Reply 3 of 23
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    heck wwdc 07, same old feature OS X Demo,

not even price of iPhone or two year contract info

something is really missing
  • Reply 4 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What the hell is up with AI's database?

Yeah, it's inserting posts wherever it wants.

I say both events were pretty crappy but I preferred WWDC. The iphone means absolutely diddly to me and there were one or two things I liked at WWDC. New Finder and interface mainly I guess.

What I don't get is that Steve's presentations always feel like he's selling to consumers. He's talking to a bunch of developers, who the hell in that audience could possibly want to hear about people talking about how ichat has brought families together? They should want to hear about X-Ray and all the cool developer tools that will help improve their code performance as well as the new Objective-C. Python and Ruby scripting etc.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    I say WWDC07.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    What the hell is up with AI's database?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Although MWSF marked the begin of a decline in Apple, as far as true quality of content, WWDC takes the cake.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    halcyonhalcyon Posts: 36member
    Come next January and there'll better be a lot of new products

I think the fact that Apple is now fully tied to Intel release schedule is finally starting to show.

Maybe in future they'll start moving MWSF and WWDC around to better track the Intel time pacing schedule
  • Reply 9 of 23
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This is similar to the disapointment kids feel after christmas. It never lives up to the hype.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I think September and october will be key months for many products announcements/updates.

September(Paris)

? iMac

? MacMini

October (starting Xmas season shopping)

? Leopard unveil

? new Displays, thinner enclosure, maybe iSight BTO (tied to Leopard's independent resolution)

? MacPro same enclosure (new interior architecture and more powerful graphic cards)

? iPod 6G widescreen.

? iPod nano and Shuffle increase storage.

at least I hope so!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    If I had to choose it'd be MSWF 07 simply because even if I wanted an iPhone I couldn't easily get once without violating my Verizon Wireless agreement.

However WWDC wasn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination. Jobs and Co. didn't have any "from left field gobsmackers" but what was presented was clean and salient. The finder "did" need updating. It was nice seeing Spotlight become a more useful tool. The Dock "is" becoming a more useful program.

Quicklook is much more amazing than it looks. The ability to preview apps without opening them will make my life much more easy.

If anyone truly believes that that this signals the decline of Apple (despite their stock price being higher than ever) then please dispense with the whining and try to articulate your statement.

What I saw wasn't groundbreaking but was a solid step forward and frankly there are tons of little bits that are important that weren't covered. There mere fact that the iPhone is going to support Ajax applications and Safari on windows is a huge benefit.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I think September and october will be key months for many products announcements/updates.

September(Paris)

? iMac

? MacMini

I was already in Paris once this year, boy do I love that place, the vibe is amazing, and it's huge!! I'm 90% set on going to Paris in September.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    amackamack Posts: 19member
    Quote:

September(Paris)

? iMac

? MacMini

? Leopard unveil

? new Displays, thinner enclosure, maybe iSight BTO (tied to Leopard's independent resolution)

? MacPro same enclosure (new interior architecture and more powerful graphic cards)

? iPod 6G widescreen.

? iPod nano and Shuffle increase storage.

at least I hope so!

I totally agree, today was all about Leopard and once most of the bugs are ironed out Apple can announce imacs at the Paris expo ready to ship in October with leopard. Makes sense to me anyway.

The only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is no iLife or iWork, maybe they'll appear at Paris too
  • Reply 14 of 23
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amack View Post

The only thing I'm slightly disappointed about is no iLife or iWork, maybe they'll appear at Paris too

I have the gut feeling that iLife and iWork will happen at MWSF 08. They will skip a whole year update.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

If anyone truly believes that that this signals the decline of Apple (despite their stock price being higher than ever) then please dispense with the whining and try to articulate your statement.

I completely agree. Blanket judgments sans support take us nowhere.

Steve has an unusual job with such a presentation because he is speaking simultaneously to two audiences. Developers understand that because the keynote goes out to the broader public, the presentation must be aimed at that audience. They also know that they will have a full week to dig into guts of the new operating system, working in a language that Joe Consumer couldn't understand.

I, too, would have enjoyed hearing something about iWork, but it seems as if the company has been at work on many, many other tasks.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

I think September and October will be key months for many products announcements/updates.

September(Paris)

• iMac

• MacMini

• Leopard unveil

• new Displays, thinner enclosure, maybe iSight BTO (tied to Leopard's independent resolution)

• MacPro same enclosure (new interior architecture and more powerful graphic cards)

• iPod 6G widescreen.

• iPod nano and Shuffle increase storage.

at least I hope so!

I'm assuming the MacMini note is the announcement of its demise? Also, the new iMac will be additional to the current iMac, as the iMac Pro. The current iMacs will drop in price, and fill in the gap the Mac Mini will leave behind. The iMac has gained a reputation as the go-to Mac for anyone to do their basic and moderately demanding tasks on, as the Mini was intended. That'll stay on the low-end of the spectrum, and then the iMac Pro will get Santa Rosa and better GPUs (á la MBP) alongside the current models getting a very slight bump, including RAM upgrades, and larger HDs (starting at 180 GB). Also, I'd say iSight BTO won't be in the Displays standard, but rather as an upgradeable option. Also, the 6G iPod will not be released until MWSF 08. Launching that in October would cut into iPhone sales over the holiday massively. Apple is investing and putting too much on the line with the iPhone to let the iPod kill it. I could also see the Nano and Shuffle upgrades.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Note, I said "a decline." Not 'the decline.' Apple's here to stay. That's for sure. All I was saying is they let themselves fall behind their own standards because of one product they're taking a bit of a gamble on. I'm positive that it is only temporary, as they will probably be creating, if they haven't started already, an iPhone department, much like they did with the iPod. Once that's all up and running, they should be able to get back on track even more than they are now. I didn't mean to insinuate that Apple's going down the crapper, only that they've fallen behind their usual standards.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    It's weird. Apple goes to MacWorld (that's MAC world) and doesn't introduce a single Mac. Apple goes to WWDC (you know, an event for those people that develop for the MAC) and all they do is talk about an OS that you can't get (even developers, the only ones that were supposed to get the preview are the ones that attended WWDC).

I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple announcing anything at any of the upcoming shows. They seem to have been rolling stuff out willy nilly in between shows. Look at the revised MBP...that didn't come out during a show.

This hasn't got anything to do with Intel's schedule either. After all, how did the MacPro get a 3GHz quad core Xeon that wasn't even available yet?

This has to do with Apple totally screwing up. I've been using Apples since the Apple II, and this is getting to be like those dark days in between the Mac launch and Steve's return.

The whole iPhone thing is a mistake and a total loss of focus IMHO. They haven't been able to keep ANYTHING on track since that boondoggle began.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

o much on the line with the iPhone to let the iPod kill it. I could also see the Nano and Shuffle upgrades.

Note, I said "a decline." Not 'the decline.' Apple's here to stay. That's for sure. All I was saying is they let themselves fall behind their own standards because of one product they're taking a bit of a gamble on. I'm positive that it is only temporary, as they will probably be creating, if they haven't started already, an iPhone department, much like they did with the iPod. Once that's all up and running, they should be able to get back on track even more than they are now. I didn't mean to insinuate that Apple's going down the crapper, only that they've fallen behind their usual standards.

Thanks for the clarification, that helped. My personally, I think these situation arise when Jobs becomes too much of a marketer. Typically he straddles the fence nicely between charismatic leader and marketer. When Apple engages in

"We've got some Top Secret stuff we can't show you" it creates a scenario in which Apple will NEVER win. I could be wrong and the new Finder and Dock may be manna from Heaven but they short demos don't prove that to us.

This has been a strange year, slow hardware announcements, forays into new areas(ATV and iPhone) a new OS coming. A lot is happening but it feels so slow.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by felixcat View Post

The whole iPhone thing is a mistake and a total loss of focus IMHO. They haven't been able to keep ANYTHING on track since that boondoggle began.

Thank you, that's what I've been saying. Glad to know I'm not the only one noticing this...
  • Reply 20 of 23
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    This is one columnist's view of WWDC 07

Apple image

Jason D. O?Grady?s Apple blog

June 11th, 2007

Apple lulls developers to sleep at hardware-less WWDC

For the rest of his blog, go to:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=590&tag=nl.e589