Apple to release Safari browser for Windows

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iPhone people.

Delivering iPhone apps means you have to be able to test in a suitable browser. That browser is Safari.

Unbelievable that some just don't get the significance of this. You are right on. The buzz here is euphoric. Lots of opportunities. Steve has come through again.

One anecdotal comment, "Let the naysayes vet their shit. More for us."

Safari 3 being downloads. Guys trying or want to create widgets on the spot. Love the idea of Safari for Windows. Expect a lot more Apple apps could crack the PC market or better yet, destroy it.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iPhone people.

Delivering iPhone apps means you have to be able to test in a suitable browser. That browser is Safari.

Yeah, everything seems to be about the iphone. Hip hip f*cking hooray.

In other news, I can't load Safari 3 because it needs 10.4.9. I have 10.4.8 simply because the 10.4.9 update messes up some of Shake's graphics. So, Apple maybe you should get your ass in gear and fix your graphics drivers before playing around with supporting your iphone. Better yet give us some damn proper graphics cards.

Also, why hasn't Safari always been a separate download? I want to get official webkit updates quicker than just every OS release.
  • Reply 63 of 127
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

There are cash flow consequences, though. You just have to look a lil' harder.

With the new Leopard Finder working very similarly to iTunes ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/...es/finder.html ), potential Windows switchers will already know how to use a Mac, and will be more likely to switch. And if they're already using Safari on Windows, they'll obviously be able to jump over to OS X Safari without missing a beat.

It's all about increasing potential switchers' comfort level with the Mac. Which is super-important, because about half of all Mac sales nowadays are to switchers. Increasing switcher sales further would seem to be very 'bottom line', eh?

That's about what he said. I suppose he thinks it will lead more Windows users to move to the Mac, after having used such "fantastic" software.

But, as I said in my post, which is posted above the story, because I seem to be having getting on this site today, so that post was delayed, if they didn't fix some of those problems, it won't seem so fantastic.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koskar View Post

windows version crashes on any and all bookmark operations....

anyone or just me?

Upon startup, a dialog appears asking me for a Name/Password. I assume it is for my company's proxy. Anyway, putting in my company ID/PW, causes a crash. Useless for me at work.

Also, part of the dialog is the checkmark to "Remember this password in my keychain" Um, keychain on Windows too?
  • Reply 65 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Mac version much faster. Could just be the new install before the cruft sets in, but.....damn.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

just downloaded the safari demo... didnt tell me that it would delete the current version i have would be removed from my computer!

I have not tried it, but if you run the uninstall.pkg does that restore your original safari 2.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Typing this on Windows Safari as we speak.

Something of a cross between windows UI and mac UI. Maximize does what you expect on windows but you can only resize from the bottom right as in OSX. The three minimize, maximize and close buttons are there but not rendered like the usual buttons. Aqua dropdowns, checkboxes, buttons and scrollbars.

I'd really like to be able to do this in .NET...an iTunes look and feel.

Vinea
  • Reply 68 of 127
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjwill246 View Post

Good thing you're not on Apple's Board!......

Now, that would be different! As a loyal board member (Gore incl.) I would salute, get in line, and sign on 100% to anything that Setve asked of me (incl. options)!

Safari? Pfft.

• Reply 69 of 127
    koskarkoskar Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Upon startup, a dialog appears asking me for a Name/Password. I assume it is for my company's proxy. Anyway, putting in my company ID/PW, causes a crash. Useless for me at work.

Also, part of the dialog is the checkmark to "Remember this password in my keychain" Um, keychain on Windows too?

I was able to log on (and remembering user/pass) on my company's web page. but I can't do bookmarks. Import, add, everything regarding bookmarks just crashes the program down. I tried reinstalling (with and without preferences flush) to no avail...

I guess i should try it with different peecee

the tabs reorganizing is cool! especially when tabs change into thumbnails of their contents
  • Reply 70 of 127
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Could a Mac user please dl and install the beta and tell me I'm not crazy and that this thing screams?
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Now I would like to see iChat for Windows. iTunes, Safari and iChat for Windows would show PC users a glimpse of what using a Mac would be like and would create more switchers.

Now, if Apple keeps "switching" its apps over to Windoze, there'll be no need for Windoze users to switch.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    Is anyone else's Proxy "Change settings" button disabled in Preferences > Advanced? WTF? I'm an administrator of my laptop???
  • Reply 73 of 127
    svinsvin Posts: 30member
    I have installed it on windows.

Basically it sucks. It is way slower than IE 6.0, and Firefox 2.0. It just renders the pages to slowly.

If you hit the small "book" button (dont know what it is for) the application crashes.

And it doesn't work with a lot of tv streaming services.

So no need to change now....
  • Reply 74 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

The most important thing about Safari on Windows is that Windows based web developers now have no excuses not to support Safari.

How many times have you found a bug in a website, alerted the developer/web guy and got an email back saying they don't have a Mac to test the site on. Now they've no excuse.

Apart from that there's a couple of things Safari does that the other guys don't. 3.0 has resizeable text areas. For bloggers and forum users, that's just so f'ing fantastic.

Melgross, I think I went 'Huh?' to most of the problems you reported. They've 'fixed' a few things that IMHO weren't broken in 3.0 such as CSS overriding native form fields (bleuch!) so maybe they've fixed your other complaints too. From a brief spin of the bookmarks folder, they've not changed that but then I thought that was perfect anyway.

I have all of these problems with it. On the dual G4 I have, as well as the dual G5.

I just downloaded 3, and am having new problems.

When I click on a site, or just start the program, the browser goes to the site, but I get a blank window. In order to see the page, I've go to hit "reload", then the page quickly pops in.
  • Reply 75 of 127
    OK folks, I've tried Safari 3, for 1/2 hour, then uninstalled it. Restores Safari 2, didn't even break the link to the dock. So no worries there, those other posters upset at Safari 3 usurping their Safari 2. Just go back & uninstall.

Judging by the share price though, it seems the market expected more from the WWDC keynote. It probably holds my assumption, that every market reaction, either up or down, is an over-reaction. (Hopefully)

Cheers
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Well, now I'm not getting a blank page. But, the original page remains, and I still have to hit reload, which causes the new page to appear.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    I rebooted, ran Apple Software Update. There was the iTunes security update. I installed that and my problems went away. Interesting.....
  • Reply 78 of 127
    Holy crap (excuse me). Now it's working. WHAT is going on here?
  • Reply 79 of 127
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

I have not tried it, but if you run the uninstall.pkg does that restore your original safari 2.

nope. totally gone. the uninstaller doesnt even launch, and theres no sign of safari in the finder. i spotlighted it, nothing
  • Reply 80 of 127
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Okay, I just installed the Safari 3 Beta for MacOS X. I'm on an original Aluminum 12" Powerbook G4 (867 Mhz, 640 Mb RAM).

My initial reaction is not fit to print on a family forum.

Safari 3 is fast. I mean, incredibly fast compared to Safari 2 on the same machine. I don't know what they hell they did, but after the initial app loading (and slow Apple Start page load), everything I've brought up has been lightning quick.

It also partially recognizes some of the maintenance scripts I use on Wikipedia through Firefox, so it looks like they're improving compatibility too. Hopefully the full build in Leopard will take care of those last few issues.

As for flash-heavy sites, I hit up Adventure Quest... and it was playable! Not perfect, but that may be my older system. For the most part, it was just as good as any other browser at handling the Flash content.

Going to play around, see what other features they've got in here, but overall I'm ecstatic. This makes my browsing much better, and I'm switching back from Camino for now.