iPhone to support third-party Web 2.0 applications

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree on the bullshit part. I see this as an Apple concession to give AT&T the restrictions that they want to prevent users from getting VioP over WiFi apps, and to give them a means to push a data plan, because otherwise, you lose your app between access points.

I don't see why Apache on a handheld can be considered a good idea for running a web app as local software.

I don't know how this post got bumped ahead of Ringo's and melgross' posts, the time stamp is an hour off. My computer's time is correct.

I'm also off by 1 hour for some reason.

Why is apache a bad thing? Just wondering? I do all sorts of local support things for myself through my local mysql/apache server and works wonderfully and is stable, and is cross-platform. We did our companies drawing database this was and can install and maintain on MS/Linux/Mac with no issues.

WTF!!! THIS POST IS NOW OFF BY 15 HOURS!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 139
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps you should just read what you quoted a few times. Eventually it should come together.

Sorry, regardless of whether they're running in safari or not, if they have access to 'make phonecalls' or the like, it seems like a nice security hole to me (esp. with a nice nefarious web-app). Unless you're reading things on a completely different plane where you see all and understand all.

Of course, also looking at this stupidity, does this also means that, if you're currently in a location where you do not have wifi or cell access, you have absolutely no access to these apps, nor your data? Seems like the iphone is nothing but an iPod for that 6 hour plane flight.
  • Reply 2 of 139
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    This is a GREAT strategy when combined with the release of Safari on Windows. This gives a uniform environment for Mac/PC/iPhone for applications that can get there data/support from anywhere on the WEB - ldap, mysql, etc.

[I have no idea how this ended up ahead of the original article??? I posted at about 12:40 PM PDT]
  • Reply 3 of 139
    jemsterjemster Posts: 37member
    Yeah I can see how that's really going to work well for those not on high speed networks and those with monthly data allowances...

Am I totally missing something here or is this simply trying to put a marketing spin on "no we won't allow you to develop 3rd party apps on the iPhone"??

So nothing new here... and strangely not a mention of ZFS either ... looks like Steve's sucked some of the helium out of the share prices too...
  • Reply 4 of 139
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Presenting at its annual developers conference on Monday, Apple announced that its forthcoming iPhone device will run applications created with Web 2.0 Internet standards when it begins shipping on June 29.

The Cupertino-based company said developers can create Web 2.0 applications which look and behave just like the applications built into iPhone, and which can seamlessly access iPhone?s services, including making a phone call, sending an email and displaying a location in Google Maps.

Third-party applications created using Web 2.0 standards can extend iPhone?s capabilities without compromising its reliability or security, company chief executive Steve Jobs explained. However, they will be forced to run through the iPhones's Safari web browser, not function as standalone applications.

?Developers and users alike are going to be very surprised and pleased at how great these applications look and work on iPhone,? Jobs said. ?Our innovative approach, using Web 2.0-based standards, lets developers create amazing new applications while keeping the iPhone secure and reliable.?

Web 2.0-based applications are being embraced by leading developers because they are far more interactive and responsive than traditional web applications, and can be easily distributed over the Internet and painlessly updated by simply changing the code on the developers? own servers.

The modern web standards also provide secure data access and transactions, like those used with Amazon.com or online banking.
  • Reply 5 of 139
    sallisalli Posts: 5member
    At first I thought that this meant that there was a small version of apache running on the iPhone, but I guess that is not the case. It would have been nice, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

can be easily distributed over the Internet and painlessly updated by simply changing the code on the developers? own servers.

• Reply 6 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jemster View Post

Yeah I can see how that's really going to work well for those not on high speed networks and those with monthly data allowances...

Am I totally missing something here or is this simply trying to put a marketing spin on "no we won't allow you to develop 3rd party apps on the iPhone"??

So nothing new here... and strangely not a mention of ZFS either ... looks like Steve's sucked some of the helium out of the share prices too...

I guess I'm just looking a little farther ahead.

1) If you need local data, and that's a large need for the iPhone user base, Apple can just turn on Apache and MySQL (of other DB). The same app runs just fine.

2) Maybe I'm missing something but don't google docs etc. fit these requirements? I love using these apps for small jobs. Don't forget this isn't your GP computer, it is your mobile helper.

3) Google gears also leading to more and more apps.

I think that Apple is again skating to where the puck is going to be.

Regarding the share price that happens every keynote not matter the content - Buy on rumor, Sell on news.
  • Reply 7 of 139
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I agree on the bullshit part. I see this as an Apple concession to give AT&T the restrictions that they want to prevent users from getting VioP over WiFi apps, and to give them a means to push a data plan, because otherwise, you lose your app between access points.

I don't see why Apache on a handheld can be considered a good idea for running a web app as local software.

I don't know how this post got bumped ahead of Ringo's and melgross' posts, the time stamp is an hour off. My computer's time is correct.
  • Reply 8 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What news?

That's why the price went down.
  • Reply 9 of 139
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

What kind of apps will this allow?

Will we see programs that have nothing to do with the way Safari tools work?

Will we see scientific calculators, real games, book readers, etc?

Or will this lead to a limited set of what can be done?

Yup, I totally agree. iPhone is just a portable Dashboard as far as application developers are concerned.

The only really interesting applications are developed by Apple itself (ie. Mail, Safari, iTunes, iCal).
  • Reply 10 of 139
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

So these web apps have access to an iPhones services, but won't compromise the iphone's security?

Perhaps you should just read what you quoted a few times. Eventually it should come together.
  • Reply 11 of 139
    Quote:

What news?

Hardware is what makes money for Apple, and there was no hardware announced.

So far this year, starting with Macworld, we've been treated to few significant announcements in that area.

I'm hoping that Apple will be showing new machines when the new chips come out. Otherwise, the stock will continue falling back.

I think you hit is exactly wrt the stock. Hardware announcements were anticipated and none came out. I was hoping for new iMac. Still hoping in the next few weeks.

[FYI using safari 3 - could that be why the timing screwup?]
  • Reply 12 of 139
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I'm also off by 1 hour for some reason.

Why is apache a bad thing? Just wondering? I do all sorts of local support things for myself through my local mysql/apache server and works wonderfully and is stable, and is cross-platform. We did our companies drawing database this was and can install and maintain on MS/Linux/Mac with no issues.

A desktop computer would be fine, but a handheld is a lot more limited in terms of computing power, memory and battery life, and a web app is generally interpreted, not compiled. Those points are major downsides of Java, so why this odd workaround to make something that's going to behave just as badly on a handheld?
  • Reply 13 of 139
    Quote:

I think you hit is exactly wrt the stock. Hardware announcements were anticipated and none came out. I was hoping for new iMac. Still hoping in the next few weeks.

[FYI using safari 3 - could that be why the timing screwup?]

I don't know why hardware announcements were expected. Didn't Apple come out and say it was about software?

Oh, and I'm not using safari 3, so I don't think that's it.
  • Reply 14 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A desktop computer would be fine, but a handheld is a lot more limited in terms of computing power, memory and battery life, and a web app is generally interpreted, not compiled. Those points are major downsides of Java, so why this odd workaround to make something that's going to behave just as badly on a handheld?

In my experience with these apps the heavy lifting - database searches and organization, and rendering - are done by the compiled programs - safari, mysql, apache - and so the speed hit is minimal. Even with php, unless you throw on some pretty intense loops or calculations, its not bad.

[OK just posted from firefox and still the time is screwed up - 1 hour 8 minutes this time]
  • Reply 15 of 139
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    This is taking bullshit to a whole new level.
  • Reply 16 of 139
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I guess I'm just looking a little farther ahead.

1) If you need local data, and that's a large need for the iPhone user base, Apple can just turn on Apache and MySQL (of other DB). The same app runs just fine.

2) Maybe I'm missing something but don't google docs etc. fit these requirements? I love using these apps for small jobs. Don't forget this isn't your GP computer, it is your mobile helper.

3) Google gears also leading to more and more apps.

I think that Apple is again skating to where the puck is going to be.

Regarding the share price that happens every keynote not matter the content - Buy on rumor, Sell on news.

What news?

Hardware is what makes money for Apple, and there was no hardware announced.

So far this year, starting with Macworld, we've been treated to few significant announcements in that area.

I'm hoping that Apple will be showing new machines when the new chips come out. Otherwise, the stock will continue falling back.
  • Reply 17 of 139
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Cupertino-based company said developers can create Web 2.0 applications which look and behave just like the applications built into iPhone, and which can seamlessly access iPhone?s services, including making a phone call, sending an email and displaying a location in Google Maps.

Third-party applications created using Web 2.0 standards can extend iPhone?s capabilities without compromising its reliability or security, company chief executive Steve Jobs explained. However, they will be forced to run through the iPhones's Safari web browser, not function as standalone applications.

So these web apps have access to an iPhones services, but won't compromise the iphone's security?
  • Reply 18 of 139
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

• Reply 19 of 139
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I don't see why everyone is surprised. This is the way I expected to use my iPhone if I get one. I did not necessarily want to download a bunch of apps. I expected to use web apps. Adobe and Google are working on solutions for creating Web 2.o apps. I'm sure over the week Apple will be showing developers how to leverage web apps and the iPhone.

Also there have been several blogs stating that there is no way Apple could create and support a reliable SDK in this short amount of time. The iPhone has a new type of UI and is a first generation product, it would be better for Apple to internally work out development kinks before releasing a general SDK. Of course this does not mean Apple will not release an SDK at some point in the future.

I would imagine web apps are the solution at the moment.
  • Reply 20 of 139
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    NOW I can Never run Dark Forces on my iPhone

DAMN YOU APPLE, YOU CRUSHED MY HOPES AND DREAMS