Linux folks out there?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, it looks like I've got a jobless month ahead of me (work doesn't start until June 6th, ugh) so I think I'll be screwing around with Linux until then.

I'd like to get an XP/Linux dual-boot setup going.

Anyone out there use Linux on x86 ever?

(And yes, I realize this is a Mac board, but many folks actually use both)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    Yes!

Did you have any other questions?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Recommendations as for what a total idiot can do?

My setup:

Duron600@850mhz

768MB PC-133

60G WD HD

40G IBM 75GXP

Samsung CD-RW

Generic 56X CD-ROM

Guillemot GeForce2MX

Generic NIC

SB Live

I plan on formatting the IBM drive to put Linux on...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    razzfazzrazzfazz Posts: 728member
    Don't mean to flame, but have you considered using FreeBSD instead? I tried both, and prefer the latter by far. Also happens to be more similar to OS X / Darwin than Linux is.

If you do insist on using Linux, I recently installed both SuSE 7.3 and Mandrake 8.2, and both worked absolutely flawlessly for me. Depending on your Unix background or lack thereof, they might in fact even make a little more sense than FreeBSD, since they are more newbie-friendly.

Just don't even try Darwin/x86. In it's current state, it's all but unusable for anyone but masochists or hardcore developers.

Bye,

RazzFazz

EDIT: Also note nVidia still only offer 3D drivers for the GeForce for Linux/x86, so if you planned on doing any 3D stuff (2D should work flawlessly on any system using XFree86), this is another argument in favour of Linux.

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: RazzFazz ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I am a total Linux/Unix moron.

I will be getting the most hand-holding version I can find until I get used to it, damned if I feel like hosing everything on my drives deciding to go cowboy with Slackware or something silly like that.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I am a total Linux/Unix moron.

I will be getting the most hand-holding version I can find until I get used to it, damned if I feel like hosing everything on my drives deciding to go cowboy with Slackware or something silly like that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

SuSE or Mandrake should do then. Their installers are probably as easy as Linux installers get. Red Had might be OK for newbies too, but I can't really comment on it since I never tried it myself.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 6 of 15
    SuSe isn't free I've noticed, so it looks like I'll be going with Mandrake.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    stepsonstepson Posts: 95member
    Mandrake is quite a nice distro. It will fly on that hardware (my box is pretty similar, except I have an adaptec 29160 with an ultra 160 18 gig disk, and my duron overclocked to 950Mhz ).

If you don't mind spending the money (and you may as well, the distro is free!), you can also run things like MS-office, Quicktime, and quite a few windows games. check out:

<a href="http://www.transgaming.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.transgaming.com/</a>;

and

<a href="http://www.codeweavers.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.codeweavers.com/</a>;

I have WineX (for games) and the crossover plugin (for things like quicktime, windows media) and they're really slick. All work well, although of course they're slightly slower than they would be if run natively ...

But I guess if you wanted to run windows apps, you could just run windows. I guess it depends on what you're interested in. Pick a goal, and see if you can reach it. Always wanted to set up a web server? Mandrake will probably install apache for you, or if not you could get an RPM of it (think OSX package) but you could always try compiling from source. Re-compiling the kernel is sort of a badge of honor I guess, although once you do it once successfully, you'll find its really pretty easy (know your hardware first- The first time I did it, i forgot support for my ethernet card. Took me a minute before I realized i forgot to compile support for it in!).

FreeBSD is another solution. It sometimes doesn't quite have the driver and software support Linux has (which is not at all much compared to Windows) but yes, its very similar to Darwin. Not by any stretch though, Darwin/OSX does a few things a lot differently than any linux distro or *BSD (xml-style start-up scripts, etc), but FreeBSD is a cool OS. I can't wait for 5.0 ...

Oh, and you can download images of most linux distros from

<a href="http://linuxiso.org/"; target="_blank">http://linuxiso.org/</a>;

Just in case you didn't know. And they're pretty easy to burn via OSX with the hdiutil command. Not sure if you can do it via the finder (although i'm sure there is a way).
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I'm mostly doing it for experience's sake.

I found Mandrake 8.2 ISOs and burned them. I'll be getting after them tomorrow, not the kind of adventure I want to embark on at 11:30 pm.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I lied.

I'm running Mandrake 8.2 and posting using Galeon as we speak.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 15

<strong>SuSe isn't free I've noticed, so it looks like I'll be going with Mandrake.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can install SuSE for free via FTP or NFS, they just don't offer downloadable ISOs.

Anyway, you obviously have already made it through the Mandrake installer successfully, congrats & enjoy your new system.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Is there a way to get Linux to see my NTFS drive and vice-versa?

Both OSs just act like the other drive isn't there at all.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Another vote for FreeBSD. Less splintered than the Linux community...though still lots of silly politics. FreeBSD just works better...And there's the ports system.

And speaking of ports, the current 'in' Linux is Gentoo. <a href="http://gentoo.org/"; target="_blank">http://gentoo.org/</a>;
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Screw what's "in", I needed something that was nice to idiots.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Yar, Gentoo is a Linux from scratch type thingie. Just got ported to PPC, too.

Galeon is the shiznit, groverat. You might check preferences and slightly tweak them. I have it so a middle (wheel) click opens URLs in tabs. Tabs are the crack of web browsing! Try them once and you just can't live without them.

RPMfind.net or the mirror Speakeasy.rpmfind.net (usually faster) are a great place to grab precompiled software.

Great to hear it was such a painless install.

I've never used WinXP, but I've used 95,98, 2000, and NT4 and I've noticed multitasking and memory management in Linux blows windows away.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 15

<strong>Is there a way to get Linux to see my NTFS drive and vice-versa?

Both OSs just act like the other drive isn't there at all.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Linux does have experimental NTFS read access capabilities (writing to NTFS can be enabled too, but this is considered even more experimental a.k.a. dangerous to your data). Probably not compiled into Madrake's standard kernel, though.

Given writing to NTFS from Linux is strongly discouraged, it's probably not of much use for you, and I think recompiling your kernel just to add NTFS support isn't worth the effort until you have become a little more familiar with the system.

Bye,

RazzFazz