Safari 3.0 crash on launch?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Safari runs fine on my XP SP2 machine with administrator and user rights. I was not able to log into my yahoo and hotmail email accounts though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    almalm Posts: 111member
    It render embedded style tags with errors (no font at all) if windows local settings are not english.

There's also some weird behavior with forms (posted only first line of message).

And somehow it managed to post my message on top of this thread. Hehe. Forum cracking tools embedded
  • Reply 2 of 10
    iveive Posts: 23member
    imac 1.83, 10.4.9, crashing on startup.

Maybe some incorrect plugins...

Ive
  • Reply 3 of 10
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Safari 3.0 is crashing for me on launch in OSX 10.4.9.

Is it just me? o_O

Edit: I'm on a Macbook Pro 2.16 17", but my friend who is still on a PPC mac installed Safari 3.0 and now Safari, iChat, and Adium are all broken.

His uninstaller won't even launch.

- Xidius
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Works fine for me.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

Safari 3.0 is crashing for me on launch in OSX 10.4.9.

Is it just me? o_O

Edit: I'm on a Macbook Pro 2.16 17", but my friend who is still on a PPC mac installed Safari 3.0 and now Safari, iChat, and Adium are all broken.

His uninstaller won't even launch.

- Xidius

Crashes (or doesn't start really, bounces 3 times and dsiappears)

but for other users on my Mac it works perfectly

????
  • Reply 6 of 10
    justdoitjustdoit Posts: 44member
    Works fine for me too.... for some reason my widgets don't work now
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jkd123jkd123 Posts: 2member
    Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I might have a solution for those in trouble...

I had a similar issue with the install- it crashed halfway through, and afterwards I couldn't open Safari, Mail, Installer, iTunes and iChat, among other programs (open indicator would blink once, then disappear).

The issue seems to boil down to the fact that the installer replaces several important programs, including Dock.app and javascript Frameworks..if it hoses during the installation, these corrupted files prevent certain programs that rely on them from opening...soooo:

1. Get Pacifist http://www.charlessoft.com/ using Firefox...hopefully you have it!

2. Open the installer package with Pacifist.

3. Extract the folders in the installer package to the root of your drive (assuming this is where your System and Applications folder are)

This should fix the mess that the installer made...reversing it is a different story that perhaps someone else can help with?

Be warned that it's a dangerous install, but the end result seems really nice so far...opens/runs in record time on my 1.67 G4 (1 Gb ram).
  • Reply 8 of 10
    fishafisha Posts: 126member
    I've installed the Windows version.

Overall really like it. REALLY like the ability to change the text box size for forums and stuff ( a big bug bear of mine ).

Only issue so far is that it always restored a minimised window to its windowed state and not maxmised state ( when it was maxmised at the time of minimising it )
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkd123 View Post

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I might have a solution for those in trouble...

I had a similar issue with the install- it crashed halfway through, and afterwards I couldn't open Safari, Mail, Installer, iTunes and iChat, among other programs (open indicator would blink once, then disappear).

The issue seems to boil down to the fact that the installer replaces several important programs, including Dock.app and javascript Frameworks..if it hoses during the installation, these corrupted files prevent certain programs that rely on them from opening...soooo:

1. Get Pacifist http://www.charlessoft.com/ using Firefox...hopefully you have it!

2. Open the installer package with Pacifist.

3. Extract the folders in the installer package to the root of your drive (assuming this is where your System and Applications folder are)

This should fix the mess that the installer made...reversing it is a different story that perhaps someone else can help with?

Be warned that it's a dangerous install, but the end result seems really nice so far...opens/runs in record time on my 1.67 G4 (1 Gb ram).

Hi. I'm the guy ">_>" was talking about with the botched install. Your fix worked!

Thank you so much for that... you saved me a whole lot of trouble.

*Hands jkd123 custom Jonathan Ive designed medal for biggest ass saving of the year*
  • Reply 10 of 10
    jkd123jkd123 Posts: 2member
    Alright, my last fix just talked about getting Safari 3 working...here's how to get it uninstalled (if the uninstaller doesn't work, which is the case when you have a botched install!)

1. Download the 10.4.9 Combo Update

Intel: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...dateintel.html

PPC:http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...updateppc.html

2. Download Pacifist http://www.charlessoft.com/

3. Open the Combo Update package in Pacifist

4. Find and extract 3 files, overwriting what is there currently:

a. Applications/Safari.app

b. /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework

c. /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework

5. Restart and you should be okay!

The installer works by archiving these three original files, then replacing them with updated ones...when you run the uninstaller, it unarchives them from their hidden spot and puts them back in their place. So, if the installer fails, the uninstall doesn't even have a chance. Poor design!

I fixed a PPC and an Intel last night with this, so there shouldn't be any problems, but feel free to fire me a message if anything needs any clarification.