17" MBP Still Popular?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How popular are the 17" MBPs these days? I ask because I have not seen anybody with one. This is in contrast to the original 17" PBs which I would see all over the place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think 17" laptops are silly. It's like having a giant midget, what's the point? They're not big enough to be average size and not small enough to have the comic hilarity of being a midget. Don't laugh at midgets btw, that's cruel. Unless that midget happens to be a clown or a comedian of course in which case they'd probably prefer that you laughed.

Anyway, the 17" G4 was probably popular because at the time, PCs were getting much faster and the only way to inch a bit closer was to get the absolute highest end, even though it was still slower. The advert with Mini-Me probably helped too.

Nowadays, people don't need the bigger machine because they know they can get good performance in a small package, buy an external display and it would still be cheaper than a 17" laptop. Maybe the 17" laptops are still popular but I'd be very surprised if they are - I haven't seen any. I haven't seen any midgets these days either, maybe those two facts are connected somehow. I actually think that Apple would have done better to make a 12/13" Macbook pro and ditch the 17" one.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I'm with Marvin on this. Unless you're a video pro and need the extra screen size at the shoot location, I don't see the need for such a machine. I've the 15" MBP, and while I like it very much, I would really like a 13" or 14" MBP that is a pound lighter.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm with Marvin on this. Unless you're a video pro and need the extra screen size at the shoot location, I don't see the need for such a machine. I've the 15" MBP, and while I like it very much, I would really like a 13" or 14" MBP that is a pound lighter.

Agreed. My 15 is more than enough. The only reasons I see for the 17 are as you said, pro photo/video folks. That, and I suppose some prefer laptops and use them as desktop replacements. I know I like typing (and interacting with it..period) on a laptop much better than a desktop. I feel disconnected from the desktop somehow. I recently had an iMac G5 that I sold for this MBP, and I'm glad I did. I could just never get used to keyboard and even having to use a mouse. I hate ice. Especially the ones that crap all over the place.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i think the 17inch macbook pro is just a desktop replacement.

people that want that wide screen but with the ability to take it places easier than say an imac.

it serves a purpose, however i'm all for the 15inch macbook pro that i have.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I got my new 17" MGP 2.4ghz today! You are all right you have to want this big of a screen. The new resolution is great! The 7200rpm hard drive is great too!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkorsgard View Post

I got my new 17" MGP 2.4ghz today! You are all right you have to want this big of a screen. The new resolution is great! The 7200rpm hard drive is great too!

Mine just arrived from China, but I've got to go to my office to pick it up! I got the high-res version, You too?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I'm a semi-pro photographer and can see the attraction to the larger screen but any sort of mobility is kind of out of the window, and I'm pretty sure battery life is somewhat lower than the 15" flavour. Its a shame the 15 'only' has 1440x900 as the increased res on a screen that size is nothing new...still, nice package with a 23" I reckon. if a 15'pro + monitor comes in cheaper than a 17'pro then surely thats best