Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitoC View Post

Whew! Glad I wasn't dreaming. Thanks for making me realize that I wasn't the only one. Yeah, I too have been seeing the things that Linux has been up to with Beryl. I do say though, I really do like the features of "Quick Look." Especially the part where you can view the contents of a file without even opening it. That and the "Cover Flow" apsect of it. I like that there are nice asthetic aspects of Leopard (maybe not as cool as Beryl) but also convenient features that make work flow easier and faster.

those announced features are not without merit, but aren't the stand up and cheer features i was expecting based on the progress of both linux and windows in the 3d space. maybe apple has invested so much in making cool 2D transitions look 3D that things like expose wouldn't function correctly without some amount of considerable work for the 3d cube landscape, but it seems like it would be fairly easy to add the ability to slide your windows off to the side in a neatly organized stack or relayer them in 3D without fussing with expose. expose, though cool, is almost outdated by these other concepts.

given the new core animation tools, it's a bit surprising and unexpected not to see a bit more 3D in the general user space. adding coverflow to preview was cool, but really didn't seem like it was quite enough. but again, perhaps adding 3D to 2D windows restricts the abilities to move those windows around in a 3D space since you'd then be able to see whats behind them. I DUNNO... just thinking out loud
  • Reply 42 of 150
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I thought it was funny when the commentator on apple's website says: "only in Leopard" about Spaces. Uh... sorry, you can do that in Linux, Windows, and TIger. You might have to install some freeware though.
  • Reply 43 of 150
    Oh my god pmjoe is posting from the future! 2019!!

What is Apple's newest invention? And should I buy stock?
  • Reply 44 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Your right. The Beryl stuff is way better. THe wavy windows would increase my productivity 10 fold.

on my home computer im less concerned with productivity and more concerned with eye candy. less compelled by the wavy windows, i love the idea of having a 3D box to toggle around for the right desktop or "space."

http://www.wired.com/software/coolap...7/06/core_anim

and for what is possible with core animation, not everything has to be a wavy window or a 3D box. It could be a simple as a puff of smoke when a window or drop down closes. like the sparkle fx on beryl when you've chosen something from a menu. cool. light on resources. not insanely hard to integrate for apple geniuses.

i dont think its too much to expect given what's out there
  • Reply 45 of 150
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html

No, not iChat theater. I know about that. At first, that's what I thought as well (that I was confusing the 2). But I just remember seeing both features (Theater and this Remote Desktop feature) as two distinct things. I also got some other people from other forums telling me the same thing, that they too remember seeing the "Remote Desktop" feature in iChat and seeing the Apple guy giving this demo. One thing that I remember seeing is the part where the "Remote Desktop" person giving permission to the "Controller" person to access their computer. I don't know, maybe I was dreaming, but other people remember seeing this too so it gives me some pause . . . .
  • Reply 46 of 150
    Ooops double post.... and my posts show up before his...

That means he won't get my questions for another... 12 years. Damn.
  • Reply 47 of 150
    Quote:

You mean iChat Theater? It doesn't let you remotely control a friends Mac; it just lets you show apps that are running on your Mac (show your Powerpoint/Keynote slides, etc.).

Actually, has anyone noticed that on the video demo of the new finder there appears to be an option to "Share Screen".

Could this be a new .Mac feature?

I don't believe this feature is mentioned on the Finder page or was talked about during the keynote. But could this be the feature which previously was in the iChat demo at Mac World?

For what it's worth I do remember this "remote control" feature being mentioned as part of iChat.

Can anyone grab a screen shot of this?
  • Reply 48 of 150
    adamraoadamrao Posts: 175member
    Overall, I'm less than impressed. While the new features are certainly worthwhile, I see nothing completely earth-shattering that will make ME run out to buy Leopard immediately. A few comments on some of the more noticeable features/improvements:

Cover Flow in Finder - I've been using "show icon preview" and increasing the size of my icons in all of my photography-related folders for ages now. I don't see how cover flow as a view option makes this obsolete in any way. In fact, I'd argue that my view options will actually help me find a particular photograph FASTER than cover flow will. Is cover flow cool? Certainly. Will it increase productivity? I'm unsure about that.

Time Machine - There's no doubt in my mind that this feature is very useful. But what about for users that have unbelievable amounts of data? Terabytes instead of gigabytes? What size external hard drive would you need to deal with that in Time Machine? Is it even feasible to use Time Machine for that amount of data? I think that user-created backup routines will still be the way to go for large amounts of data storage. Time Machine will be extremely useful for the average user, however.

Stacks - I fail to see how this is any different than placing a folder in the dock and holding a mouse click on it. Can you incorporate files from disparate locations in a stack? If so, then it may be useful to some. I just can't see a good, solid reason for using stacks over folders right now.

Spaces - Expose really makes this useless, if you ask me. While it's great to organize my window space according to function, with expose, I can see ALL my windows regardless of function already. This seems to be a one-step solution to finding the window I want instead of first changing spaces and then expose.

I realize that Leopard offers numerous improvements and features that I have yet to see, but overall I'm a bit disappointed. I think that if Apple makes some significant bug fixes in 10.4.10 (and beyond, if 10.4.11+ happens) and offers Safari 3.0 to Tiger users, I'll be staying with my stable, fairly ironed-out 10.4 system for some time to come.
  • Reply 49 of 150
    What on earth is going on with the order of posts in this thread? I was the fifth person to post a reply, yet later in the evening other people have somehow managed to fit many posts in before mine. SpamSandwich also replied to the same post I did and yet his reply is showing up before the post to which he replied!
  • Reply 50 of 150
    Quote:

Actually, has anyone noticed that on the video demo of the new finder there appears to be an option to "Share Screen".

I don't believe this feature is mentioned on the Finder page or was talked about during the keynote. But could this be the feature which previously was in the iChat demo at Mac World?

For what it's worth I do remember this "remote control" feature being mentioned as part of iChat.

Can anyone grab a screen shot of this

Sure thing. I found the "Share Screen" part in the video demo you're talking about. I think you're right, this could be where this feature now lives.

• Reply 51 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by youngfool View Post

Can anyone grab a screen shot of this?

On the Apple web page about the new Leopard Finder it says:

"But here?s where things get really interesting. By clicking on a connected Mac, you can see and control that computer (if authorized, of course) as if you were sitting in front of it."

Looks like some form of remote control will be available, but perhaps they couldn't get it set up satisfactorily for the keynote?
  • Reply 52 of 150
    miggs97miggs97 Posts: 87member
    I discounted the Quick View look before today. I love the fact that you can browse documents, play video in full screen, etc. Also, Photo Booth is getting video recoding functionality... the deprecation of Quicktime Pro continues.... YAY
  • Reply 53 of 150
    Quote:

No (see my earlier reply). But speaking of iChat theater, I have been using this pretty cool app (it's an add-on to iChat) called ShowMacster that basically does the iChat Theater thing. But I have been using it for over a year now. Pretty cool thing. Check it out.
  • Reply 54 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mavlast42 View Post

On the Apple web page about the new Leopard Finder it says:

"But here?s where things get really interesting. By clicking on a connected Mac, you can see and control that computer (if authorized, of course) as if you were sitting in front of it."

Looks like some form of remote control will be available, but perhaps they couldn't get it set up satisfactorily for the keynote?

Funny. On that page, it only mentions connected Macs "in your house" (it’s far easier to find or access files on any computer in your house, whether Mac or PC) and NOT connected Macs in general. I'm guessing (hoping??) that this feature will also be available with ANY connected Mac (even if it's connected via the internet).
  • Reply 55 of 150
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Quote:

I remember that too, maybe its in the screenshare function we can see in some of the videos.
  • Reply 56 of 150
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debohun View Post

Could it be they were trying influence media reports and stock valuations? It sure is a suspicious chain of events.

Why are people over anylizing this so much? They freaking updated their entire site, includding changes to their store. Isn't that worthy of putting the site down temporarily? (yes)
  • Reply 57 of 150
    darozadaroza Posts: 2member
    Good thing they managed to hide all this amazing innovations from Redmond's prying eyes!
  • Reply 58 of 150
    Leopard has over 300 new features. For me, a huge part of what makes the upgrade worthwhile is not the huge super-hyped mega features but the little "attention to detail" features, which Leopard is sure to be filled with.

And you really can't complain about the big features. They are signifficant -- they should improve usability and navigation for one. Stop pissing and moaning, seriously.

What would you have liked Apple to include that they didn't????????????? (And how do you know they didn't include these features-- keep in mind they could be unannounced like ZFS)
  • Reply 59 of 150
    It looks nice but the navigation is a bit clumsy. I think they should introduce a secondary nav bar under their current one. I know on the Mac tab the scrolly thing showing the different products is suppose to be a secondary nav bar, but it's really not intuitive enough.
  • Reply 60 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedillydotcom View Post

It seems like from what I can tell, with every instance of beryl i've watched, that linux is making leaps and bounds over what MS and Apple are offering in terms of 3D desktops. I have no idea how usable they are, what hardware it takes to run them, or how easy they are to setup, but they sure are wowing me to the point that i'd consider installing linux on one of my machines.

Yeah... I would install Beryl just so my windows can do that retarded floppy rubber paper thing every time I drag one across the screen. Real productivity enhancements, for real working class folk. It's no coincidence why every Beryl demo you see on the 'net is accompanied by a thumping, Euro-trash techo soundtrack: Beryl enthusiasts are all gay.
This discussion has been closed.