I do not like the new translucent menu bar

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I would guess Apple is maybe trying to make the menu bar standout less.

Vista's implementation is pretty blurry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I agree. This latest series of updates is a step backward. Stacks is terrible, menu bar is a nightmare to read. Take it back to System 9. At least I had no problem reading stuff then.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I agree. Why on earth make it transparent? Make it look "glassy" like Vista?

I am surprised to see this, since they made menu's (not the bar, but the items) LESS transparent each MacOSX revision.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    detailsdetails Posts: 65member
    Definitely looks like they're trying to compete with Vista in the glossy/shiny department. The black Apple and spotlight buttons make look even more Vista-ish and the grass desktop background reminds me of Vista beta... I was hoping they would go the other way and make it matte with muted colors. And it looks kinda weird to have the pop-down menus still grey. I don't really dislike it, but it seems kinda strange...
  • Reply 4 of 35
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    What's the point? Are they trying to make it harder to read or what ?!
  • Reply 5 of 35
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Some of the features are nice. I've wanted stacks for a long time, and QuickView is stunning. I wonder if there will be a way to turn on an advanced mode for the finder. The iTunes style is OK, but not a revolution. It may even be too cute.

The iChat effects are silly. The reflection is too glitzy. The address book and iCal interactivity with Mail is nice.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    double post... it's not my fault, I swear!
  • Reply 7 of 35
    What happens when you want to put the dock on the side,

as those with *crappy resolution laptop screens* are forced to do to save some precious pixels? and where is the resolution independence that could have helped in this dept......
  • Reply 8 of 35
    I agree, don't like the translucent menu bar. That and the dock, at present, sort of 'frame' your working environment. Not anymore.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. This latest series of updates is a step backward. Stacks is terrible, menu bar is a nightmare to read. Take it back to System 9. At least I had no problem reading stuff then.

Stacks isn't bad IMO but could quickly become unruly the new Grid View looks great...I assume that stacks that grow too large become Grid View. The semi translucent menu bar doesn't bother me...the vids are a bit too small for me to tell if they are truly difficult to read or not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogobuddy View Post

What happens when you want to put the dock on the side,

as those with *crappy resolution laptop screens* are forced to do to save some precious pixels? and where is the resolution independence that could have helped in this dept......

RI is there, they only had 90 minutes for the keynote and you can't cover every feature. I'm sure Apple's Q/A testers have tested the features with the dock pinned to other locations.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Stacks isn't bad IMO but could quickly become unruly the new Grid View looks great...I assume that stacks that grow too large become Grid View.

This is true. And by the way guys I told you we'd get a black Apple icon in the menu bar. When I mentioned that earlier this year someone showed me NextStep in an effort to take the piss, lol.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Just think of how stupid it would look with a menu bar like the one today though. I dont care but it should sense what color is behind it and adapt the text color to it. Either that or you can change the text color
  • Reply 12 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    From the Apple demo video: "Drag any item on the desktop close to the Dock and it actually reflects on the new floor."

I defy anyone to read that and not despair.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Translucent menu bar.

Sell your AAPL.

Its all over.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    I really default to being open to new things. But I don't like the menu bar at all. It looks Vista-ish, is unnecessary, and makes things worse by actually making the text more difficult to read. Is being able to see the top 20 pixels of your desktop really worth the confusion?

I am very disappointed overall. I can't believe the 'secret' features. What a bust.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

From the Apple demo video: "Drag any item on the desktop close to the Dock and it actually reflects on the new floor."

I defy anyone to read that and not despair.

I agree.... Thats freakin lame. This is not why i switched to mac.....

Get it together jobs....
  • Reply 16 of 35
    It's the end of the line for Macs. iPhone has supplanted everything at Apple. Steve fell in love with phonemaking, no longer interested in the hardcore computing stuff. Gotta go buy a gun and a single bullet now.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    MAC USERS DEMAND TO MUCH!!! JUST LOWER YOUR STANDARDS. ITS A GREAT PRODUCT WITH LOTS OF GREAT FEATURES.

CAPS LOCK IS FUN
  • Reply 18 of 35
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I agree, don't like the translucent menu bar. That and the dock, at present, sort of 'frame' your working environment. Not anymore.

I also don't see the point in a translucent menu bar.

I don't care about the dock.

What I wanted from apple was to put a dock in the menubar where it worked like taskmenubar. I emailed them with this suggestion but I guess they didn't like it. If anybody remembers taskmenubar, it was the slickest and easiest way to switch and switch-hide between apps as you only needed one hand to do click or double-click on an open app's icon in the menubar.

I personally think Apple may be getting too glitzy with it's interface. And I hope that the finder is much much faster...

- Mark
  • Reply 19 of 35
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Too glitzy? Look at Vista for too glitzy. Transparency everywhere. Apple makes the menubar slightly translucent and everybody starts piling on. Jeesh.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Can this crap be turned off, and made opaque? Why the HELL does OS X STILL have paltry Appearance options no where near up to par with OS 9 from friggin' a decade ago. This really, really, better be an option. The Menu Bar. Everyone uses it. Every day. And now it's blurry. This is actually a big deal. And symptomatic of the New Apple I guess? This whole text over black overlays is getting out of hand. It's overused. And their new web site is godawful. Titanium is awful but this new black is just shit web design/GUI. Even the grey text they used to have was stupid. What the HELL happened to their sense of user interface design?

Oh wait...I know what they can do! Add more pin stripes! AND have it translucent!